Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: RFI: 'Duplicating' Hornady TAP, with H322

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    Maybe, maybe not... I don't think 200fps difference would be obvious at less than 300yds.
    Exactly. And the same ammo groups differently some times. I.E. MOAish one weekend, stacking holes the next depending on the variables and shooter.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Exactly. And the same ammo groups differently some times. I.E. MOAish one weekend, stacking holes the next depending on the variables and shooter.
    ... and POI shifts for all kinds of reasons:

Headwind vs. tailwind.

Recoil impulses... Examples: Slower MVs result in higher POIs in handguns. (That's counterintuitive, I know.)

Atmospheric/Environmental issues: Altitude and temperature.

So, really, there's no substitute for a chrony. I'm working on 10mm Auto, right now, working up to nearly replicate Underwood's 165gr Gold Dot load (1,400fps through my S&W 610!), and I would be lost without my chronograph.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    ... and POI shifts for all kinds of reasons:

Headwind vs. tailwind.

Recoil impulses... Examples: Slower MVs result in higher POIs in handguns. (That's counterintuitive, I know.)

Atmospheric/Environmental issues: Altitude and temperature.

So, really, there's no substitute for a chrony. I'm working on 10mm Auto, right now, working up to nearly replicate Underwood's 165gr Gold Dot load (1,400fps through my S&W 610!), and I would be lost without my chronograph.
    Maybe, maybe not... I don't think 200fps difference would be obvious at less than 300yds.

I don't chrono each lot of ammo that I load, but I do find it really handy to have a baseline and to do some basic diagnosis... Also, I'm a bit of a data geek.

Especially for load development like the OP is doing, I can't imagine doing it without a chrono... How in the world would anybody ever know whether he's duplicating a given load without running some over a chrono, and then comparing one's own handloads?
    Fer sure this^^
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Same conditions, one lot of FGMM 175 was 1" at 100 shift. We did 3 shooters on the gun. M24
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123