Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RFI: 'Duplicating' Hornady TAP, with H322

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PatEgan View Post
    A chronometer is one thing I've never bothered to buy, mostly because I had data indicating rough parameters with proven loads. I can probably borrow one belonging to a buddy.
    It's worth it. I've been a few hundred fps under what I thought with a .223 load or two and didn't know it until I chrono'd.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    It's worth it. I've been a few hundred fps under what I thought with a .223 load or two and didn't know it until I chrono'd.
    Have you largely gone away from 23.xgr XBR and 77gr bullets in favor of H322? Is it for the accuracy advantage of H322? I know I can get slightly tighter groups with H322 vs XBR, but I also have been enjoying the 85fps difference.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Not really. It's just that I'm loading less ammo than I used to. I still have defense ammo with the XBR loaded. I'm usually loading for accuracy if it's 77, so like you, I like the H322 a little better for that.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    A chronometer is one thing I've never bothered to buy, mostly because I had data indicating rough parameters with proven loads. I can probably borrow one belonging to a buddy...
    It's worth it.

A chronograph is not only totally worth it; it's really indispensible for the kind of load development you're trying to do...

It's kind of like having a calipers and a scale. If you're not measuring, then how in the world do you know what you're doing?!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I own and do use everything else. I rarely have need to chrono anything because I've not needed to replicate a given load before now. I roll my own hunting ammo and have parallel data for those with the same caliber, bullets and powder loads, and have not needed to know exactly how fast they were flying. The rest for me was accuracy within those parameters.
    Where violence is the local language, be fluent.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I own and do use everything else. I rarely have need to chrono anything because I've not needed to replicate a given load before now. I roll my own hunting ammo and have parallel data for those with the same caliber, bullets and powder loads, and have not needed to know exactly how fast they were flying. The rest for me was accuracy within those parameters.
    I'd argue that you're flying blind. Sure the ammo is going to work,etc. But I've literally found 150 FPS swing in velocity from powder lot changes. (IMR 4064)

I've been chuggin along with AR ammo that runs fine, but had no idea that I had another 200 fps of come up to get the ammo to full power.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I think I know what my next purchase is, then

Thanks for the info. I was looking at Nosler 77 grain load info yesterday and was surprised to find IMR 4064 listed. I always associated that powder with older, military surplus calibers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Where violence is the local language, be fluent.

Feedback Score
    I'd argue that you're flying blind...
    Yeah, and missing out on a whole 'nother world of data...

I think I know what my next purchase is, then

And really, they're not expensive... I have a ProChrono, and it cost barely $100. It's idiot-proof and accurate.

Given what guns, ammo, and reloading components cost, $100 or so for a chronograph should be in your budget.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I don’t chrono all my loads, but I can start, get a baseline. When changing lots, and velocity varies, I’d think you’d notice once you fired groups? As the old “recipe” will be off a few grains?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ac View Post
    When changing lots, and velocity varies, I’d think you’d notice once you fired groups?
    Maybe, maybe not... I don't think 200fps difference would be obvious at less than 300yds.

I don't chrono each lot of ammo that I load, but I do find it really handy to have a baseline and to do some basic diagnosis... Also, I'm a bit of a data geek.

Especially for load development like the OP is doing, I can't imagine doing it without a chrono... How in the world would anybody ever know whether he's duplicating a given load without running some over a chrono, and then comparing one's own handloads?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast