Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need help choosing progressive press

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    I just got a Brother label printer from Costco for $20 (!), and now it's easier than ever to label toolheads, powder bars, etc.

It'll print a self-adhesive label small enough to stick on the end of a "small" powder bar...

While I'm self-isolating, I'm going berserk with the label maker...
    This is exactly how I label mine.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post

While I'm self-isolating, I'm going berserk with the label maker...
    LOL - you too? My gun room is going to be sooooooooooooo well organized when this is over.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have been using a Dillon progressive since 1978. My first was a Dillon 450B without the removable tool head and manual primer and powder system. My first 550 was obtained in 1988 used in excellent condition with multiple tool heads, powder measures, and accessories. I obtained a 550B from a friend who was upgrading to a 650. My 4th and final Dillon was a used BL 550 which had been upgraded to a 550B. I paid $250 each for the last two presses with accessories. I like the fact that I can control the pace and indexing manually which comes in handy when you have a problem at any station on the press. I can load both rifle and pistol rounds on all of them, but usually deprime/resize/trim rifle brass on my Rock Chucker or Lyman Spar-T. I have one 550B set for large pistol/rifle primer calibers and two 550's set up for small rifle/pistol calibers. I have numerous toolheads with dies and powder measures preset for each caliber and load so I only have to change the shellplate and locator pins.I normally leave the 450B set up for 5.56.I can easily maintain 400 + rounds per hour when I have filled primer tubes in advance.

I'll keep my weapons,my freedom,and my money!! You can keep the CHANGE!
    Glock Certified Armorer

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I helped a friend set up a Dillon 750 yesterday. I have a 650 and I think they did a nice job redesigning the primer system. Very much simplified it and it seems pretty bombproof in comparison.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas View Post
    I helped a friend set up a Dillon 750 yesterday. I have a 650 and I think they did a nice job redesigning the primer system. Very much simplified it and it seems pretty bombproof in comparison.
    I don’t have to much complaint about the 650 primer system. That is after I got used to adjusting the tension bar to keep the case over the primer. I do have mishaps with the bar the plastic piece that slides the case from the case feeder to station 1 though when loading 556. It seems to like to tip the cases over. That and the cases dont always drop correctly from the case feeder tube into the swinging arm.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ubet View Post
    I don’t have to much complaint about the 650 primer system. That is after I got used to adjusting the tension bar to keep the case over the primer. I do have mishaps with the bar the plastic piece that slides the case from the case feeder to station 1 though when loading 556. It seems to like to tip the cases over. That and the cases dont always drop correctly from the case feeder tube into the swinging arm.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    My issue with the primer system is flipped or primers turned sideways. I actually just diagnosed it in the last week and it turns out that the powder station unlocking from the case on flaring gives enough of a jolt to the press to turn the primer. I need to secure my bench to the wall so there is less movement but in the interim, slowing down as reduced the flips to zero. Case feed for me seems to be ok for the most part but yeah, loading 5.56 can be finicky and more prone to powder spillage.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I too have a Hornady LNL and am very pleased with it. No issues for me yet. I have used the Dillons and in comparison, though the LNL does take a little more time to “tune”, I think the LNL is an underrated press.

I also have a Rockchucker single stage for ‘match’ rifle ammo.
    Quote Originally Posted by lsllc View Post
    Hornady Lock-N-Load AP is a high value press with 100% warranty. I have two and it will actually load straighter ammo than a Dillon, but is somewhat more finicky. Once you get it tuned it works. One of mine didn’t wear out any parts until 100,000 rounds of 9mm. Hornady replaces the parts free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Pistol - Hornady LNL progressive
    Rifle - Hornady LNL Iron Single stage
    Shotshell - MEC 600 Jr

Very satisfied with all of them.
    Last edited by HKGuns; 03-22-20 at 18:16.

Feedback Score
    I have two 550B’s, one setup for small primers, the other for large. I load 308, 223, 9mm and 45acp on these machines. Precision ammo and development on my RockChucker. You have to fine what works for you. All reloaders have strength and weakness, When it comes to info on the Dillion’s, Brian Enos web site has a plethora of info.

Feedback Score
    I didn't see anyone mention this. If you go with the 650/750 I would almost consider the case feeder mandatory. If you do not intend on getting the case feeder then the 550 would be the best bet for you in my opinion. I did the 650 without a case feeder for awhile and it was a pain feeding cases. Not sure if the 750 is different from the 650 for not having a case feeder.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast