Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Low round count drills.

Feedback Score

Low round count drills.

Now that all the ammo has been sold and the selection of available ARs is dwindling so we don’t have to have “which AR should i get?” Or “what ammo is best?” Threads maybe we can get out and shoot a little.

The days of mag dumps and ballistic masturbation(not my term but I like it)are behind me, I’d like to hear about some useful low round count drills. Obviously the MNQ at 15 rounds is great but what about some other drills?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I would say try to work on positional shooting, try to be critical of technique and try various methods. Look at where you may utilize the carbine and work on body supported, sling/body and those two along with available artificial support. That means something other than tripods, bipods, etc. There's so much more and that may depend on what your needs/job, etc. A lot of this depends on flexibility, strength and good joints. Stay conditioned and keep moving!

Do you hunt? I ask because when I did I always worked on positions a lot, especially to know my limitations in the field. Of course in my former life and part time one now, I needed to be proficient in more than jacking a trigger at 7 yards and lying on the ground with a bipod. Of course in that particular environment and good tripod is important.

Be resourceful and abstract-think and try to use this in and around cover

Snap offhand
    kneeling, high/low-various methods, including sitting onto the ankle.
    squat-highly over looked
    prone
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Some of my favorite low round count training is reloads.

There are plenty of ways to do it. One is have a 30rd mag and a bunch of empties. Load a round, drop the loaded magazine, put it in your reload mag pouch and insert an empty mag. Do the timer thing, on the buzzer shoot 1 round, reload then shoot 1-2 rounds. Drop the loaded mag you reloaded with again, put in another empty mag. Wash, rinse, repeat.

During the lean times I came up with a couple of 50-100 round practice routines. Start with some slow fire to warm up, then work reloads, then a couple of lower round count drills. Finish with some distance work.

Ideally you know the skills you either want to maintain or what you want to try to improve.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Not to sound like I'm making a smart answer to the question, but dry-fire drills and dry-fire with a release to reset work well for rifle and for pistols alike, and are very low round count.

If anything, positional drills and reloads as mentioned above are great - with positional shooting being an often neglected skill.

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leftie View Post
    Not to sound like I'm making a smart answer to the question, but dry-fire drills and dry-fire with a release to reset work well for rifle and for pistols alike, and are very low round count.
    Amen. I've been working sling manipulations, presentations, shoulder transitions, pistol transitions, emergency reloads, tac reloads, ect. Zero rounds fired.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaykayyy
    And to the guys whining about spending more on training, and relying less on the hardware, you just sound like your [sic] trying to make yourself feel superior.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    All manipulations can be done dry, the live shot is a verification. Now you do need multi shots to verify certain things such as sight management, trigger control and position.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Gunsite Stress RIfle Course of Fire

What it is: Shoot two rounds at a IPSC target, at 200, 150, 100, and 50 yards. Eight rounds total.

How it is executed: Shooter stands at the low ready or Rhodesian ready, weapon unloaded at 220yards. At signal, shooter loads, the runs from the 220yrds line to the 200yrd line, from any position, takes two shots center mass on target (A-zone).

Place weapon on safe and run to the 150yrd line and from any position, takes two shots center mass on target (A-zone).

Place weapon on safe and run to the 100yrd line and from any position, takes two shots to the A-zone of the head of the target.

Place weapon on safe and run to the 50yrd line and from any position, takes two shots to the A-zone of the head of the target.

Course completed with no misses under 3 minutes.

That's only 8 rounds. Fun stuff!

Be a man, do it in kit!

ETA: El Presidente is a good one too, at only 12 rounds. I'm sure everyone here knows that one.
    Last edited by ViniVidivici; 03-22-20 at 14:47.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ViniVidivici View Post
    Gunsite Stress RIfle Course of Fire

What it is: Shoot two rounds at a IPSC target, at 200, 150, 100, and 50 yards. Eight rounds total.

How it is executed: Shooter stands at the low ready or Rhodesian ready, weapon unloaded at 220yards. At signal, shooter loads, the runs from the 220yrds line to the 200yrd line, from any position, takes two shots center mass on target (A-zone).

Place weapon on safe and run to the 150yrd line and from any position, takes two shots center mass on target (A-zone).

Place weapon on safe and run to the 100yrd line and from any position, takes two shots to the A-zone of the head of the target.

Place weapon on safe and run to the 50yrd line and from any position, takes two shots to the A-zone of the head of the target.

Course completed with no misses under 3 minutes.

That's only 8 rounds. Fun stuff!

Be a man, do it in kit!

ETA: El Presidente is a good one too, at only 12 rounds. I'm sure everyone here knows that one.
    Both drills together would be one box of ammo. Perfect. Also the dry fire advice and dry manipulations recommendations are great so far. Bonus for the gunsite course of fire is the exercise! I like it.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The quickest way to bump up skills is dryfire, but the amount of people who actually do it is minuscule.

If you are looking at "useful" drills, work reloads and malfunction clearances. These can be done live and aid in important fundamentals.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    For the record, I agree wholeheartedly that there is a vast amount of training that can, and should be done dry.

Getting into and out of positions, reloads from your pouches, malf clearing, etc.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast