Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Low round count drills.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    There's always the classic Mozambique. I always combine both rifle and pistol.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I always liked this one that F2S posted years back:

3" circle at 25 yards.
    3 second par time.
    Goal is 100% accuracy.
    Starting position: Standing alert
    Intro: 2 shots/2 hits in 3 seconds.
    Beginner: 3 shots/3 hits in 3 seconds.
    Intermediate: 4 shots/4 hits in 3 seconds.
    Advanced: 5 shots/5 hits in 3 seconds.
    Just keep working to get as many hits as you can in the 3 second par time. This is a great drill to work on a fast, precise presentation and recoil management.

Feedback Score
    Just to join the chorus:

Snap in, positioning, dry fire, movement-to-position, all the skeletal and muscle control aspects require zero round count though some fire could be used for quality assurance/keep it interesting purposes. If you do your part with serious attention this can pay off big.

Stress drills, with and without live fire. Whatever skills you are practicing, keep varying the "heat". Speed things up to a safe "panic minute", then slow back down to fundamentals.

Hell, use a blue gun or a toy with halfway realistic sights and react to the bad guys while you binge watch action movies. You can make things fun, just make sure you keep the focus and intensity up.

ETA. I personally am thinking about trying the laser/cell app training aids. Anyone got recommendations.
    Last edited by utahjeepr; 03-27-20 at 07:30.
    Go Ukraine! Piss on the Russian dead.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    18x18x18 drill is fun.

18 yds
    18 rounds
    18 secs

Standing 6 rds
    Reload
    Kneeling 6 rds
    Reload
    Prone 6 rds

IPSC A Zone or B8 target

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Modified Navy Qual

https://youtu.be/kv5epCk5KRY
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Lately I haven't been wanting to set up very elaborate drills so I have been mixing up my desert time with two basic 'drills'.

The first one is I just shoot my 6 plate dueling tree. If you have a partner it can be super fun and competitive as you try and stack all the plates on their side of the tree; while each of you only has one full mag. For some reason a dueling tree is an incredible stressor of marksmanship fundamentals.

The next is more of the drill I think most of you are looking for. I set up 1 steel ipsa torso at 75-100 yards, and then 2 cardboard ipsa cardboard targets at very close range. Like 2 yards max. You can make up any combination of hits, but I usually run 2 hits on each cardboard in the A zone (head), and then 2 hits on the far steel to finish up the drill. I like this drill particularly because it makes the brain transition holds very quickly. When shooting the close cardboard I have to account for a maximum point blank hold, and then moving to the far target is a typical distance shot. You can even vary the order of engagement, or add reloads into the drill to make it more challenging. I will also just move the cardboard targets around so I won't get too complacent.

Once I get in better shape I want to start doing that 200M and sprint every 50 yards. That one looks like a real burner.
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    There is the grapefruit challenge or 50/50 drill from some guys on ar15.com it’s a 6 inch circle 50 rounds standing at 50 yards in under 2 minutes. You could also lower the round count and time overall but still have a mag change built in like 30 in 30 so a 10 round mag and a 20. The army alt C target is also a low round count drill. 25m with scaled targets prone 20 rounds 2 round each target 120’seconds, prone unsupported 10 rounds 1 round each target 60 seconds. Kneeling 10 rounds 2 rounds on each “50m” and “100m” target and then 1 round on each “150m” target. Lots of people say it’s dumb and not a good test but still a lot of people don’t qualify expert on the alt C.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    This should probably be in the training and drills section.

But I like the Pat Mac “set it off” drill

https://youtu.be/qwRzgSIl-qE
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”
    - Mark Twain

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Another benefit of dry work: if you plan on, or need to have any sort of gear setup, you will find out very quickly how to manipulate weapons around gear. You might find some items that your sling could get snagged on, or you could find out that you can't actually reach that one pouch that you "geniusly" placed in that one really smart spot. It also helps you to be able to decide whether you need to rearrange your setup based on different positions, and/or whether you need to modify your positions.
    "All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

"It is better to be thought a fool and to remain silent, than to speak and remove all doubt." -Abraham Lincoln

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by turnburglar View Post

Once I get in better shape I want to start doing that 200M and sprint every 50 yards. That one looks like a real burner.
    It really isn't that bad. Very first time I ran it, I hurried, and did it in 116 seconds, so basically a whole minute to spare. Went prone for all shots too.

Could a called it clean, as all shots where on the silhouette, but the head shots were all just under the "neck line" of the target.

So I had a whole extra minute I could've taken to line up better shots.

I can shoot it clean consistently now, unlike the MNQ, which I have yet to shoot 100% clean.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast