Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Low round count drills.

Feedback Score
    For pistol I love the 700 drill. It lets you know where you stand real quick.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    OP here. First off thanks. I will definitely be using a lot of these drills. But I need help choosing a shot timer.

Right now all I have is an app on my phone. It is ok for setting a par time but that’s it. I’ve been researching and think I have it narrowed down to a Pact Club 3 and a Pocket Pro 2. Any opinions on which I should get?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Pocket Pro or Pocket Pro 2. I have a 2, like the buttons on the original Pocket Pro better, IMO the original is quicker for setting pars.

We had twoPACT III's at work and they both broke - didn't really explore what went wrong - could have been something as simple as a battery wire torn loose. It was a shame because they were ideal for our specific use - snagging splits on reloads.

My Pocket Pro 2 gets used several times a week, rides in an outside pocket of my range bag in the back of the truck the rest of the time, and has worked flawlessly.
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 04-16-20 at 19:17.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ubet View Post
    For pistol I love the 700 drill. It lets you know where you stand real quick.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    The Humbler very well deserves the name. I have seen grown men damn near go to blows when grading a line break or not with that course of fire.

I'm a big fan of anything with B-8s. I've always warmed up with scored groups at 25y out of the holster, and decided to take a crack at Chuck Pressburg's No Fail Pistol drill at the range today. I figured it would be a fun variation on the same by adding a par time for stress and accountability.

Simple course of fire; 1 fresh B-8 at 25y, 10 rounds. Each shot has a par time of 3.5 seconds. On the timer, draw and fire one shot within 3.5 seconds, reholster. Repeat.

This was the first attempt, after confirming zero with 25 rounds to warm up on the B-8 behind it.

Threw two out, so that's a no go. Went on through other courses of fire, then came back and ran through it one last time before moving on to steel.

Same deal; threw two out, so no go. I actually said "mother ****er" as one of the shots broke and I tracked the sights were off to the right. I was in a rush to get a miss.

Went about the range session and ended with a final 10 shot group at 25y.

Managed a 99-4x with all 10 coming out of the holster, just no par time.

The No Fail Pistol is an interesting drill, as the stakes on hand make it more than just a B-8 course of fire. Definitely the sum of its parts, and if Chuck reads this, the Flinchies got another one and I appreciate the perspective.
    Last edited by GTF425; 06-03-20 at 16:51.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    You’re gonna whoop my @$$ at the range. I suck at B8s.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    "Bullseye" targets/accuracy are much simpler with Red Dots, or FO FS if shooting irons.
    The caveat is both must be dialed in for POA/POI with the DOT or FS.
    A ramp/blade/Patridge FS is light years more difficult in my hands.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    "Bullseye" targets/accuracy are much simpler with Red Dots, or FO FS if shooting irons.
    The caveat is both must be dialed in for POA/POI with the DOT or FS.
    A ramp/blade/Patridge FS is light years more difficult in my hands.
    Agreed; I'm of the school of thought that every firearm should be zeroed. If using fixed irons, then the front blade should be replaced to the height you need and the rear drifted as necessary to have a POA/POI that makes sense for you. Some guys like POI within the front dot, I prefer it just over the top of the blade at 25. Neither is right/wrong, but both force accountability.

ETA: point being- if I don't truly have a zeroed pistol, then everything is just a guesstimate and it's difficult to hold myself accountable. Were my impacts low left because of recoil anticipation, or because I didn't Kentucky Windage enough? I also absolutely agree that some types of iron sights are better suited for certain types of shooting than others; ie the Big Dots being more designed for CCW than a set of Dawsons. I prefer a black rear/red FO front with pistol irons as it's a good combination of visibility and a crisp sight picture when I'm working outside of the close range/"reflexive" type of shooting.

For irons, I'm a big fan of adjustable Dawsons. Most of my shooting these days is with an RMR (as above), given it's what I carry at work. Being able to both focus on the target and accurately engage under NODs is a game changer, for sure.
    Last edited by GTF425; 06-04-20 at 10:51.

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    You’re gonna whoop my @$$ at the range. I suck at B8s.
    I'm hoping our schedules align this month. I'm looking forward to hitting the range with you.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pomyc View Post
    18x18x18 drill is fun.

18 yds
    18 rounds
    18 secs

Standing 6 rds
    Reload
    Kneeling 6 rds
    Reload
    Prone 6 rds

IPSC A Zone or B8 target

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Tried this today. Worked it for about an hour. Never came close to making the time. Rushing so much I never cleaned it either. The shot timer and a good drill like this made me realize how much I suck. Back to work.

It is a really fun drill though.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eazyeach View Post
    Tried this today. Worked it for about an hour. Never came close to making the time. Rushing so much I never cleaned it either. The shot timer and a good drill like this made me realize how much I suck. Back to work.

It is a really fun drill though.
    Oh that's cool, like a mini MNQ. Gotta run this.

Just realized, gotta shoot fast as hell for this one.
    Last edited by ViniVidivici; 06-06-20 at 13:45.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast