Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DD5 V3 - Good general purpose rifle?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

DD5 V3 - Good general purpose rifle?

I understand most are using these guns for precision type rifles, but I am considering the V3 16" barrel as a woods hunting, offhand shooting, 308 semi. I would likely put a Trijicon Accupower 1-4 on top to hunt the thick woods in the foothills here.

This would be my only 30 cal rifle and first semi 308.

Just looking for any feedback on if this would be a good general purpose rifle for this situation. This rifle would also be used for defense outside the home so I am not interested in bolt actions.

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    The DD .308's have been well regarded since they launched a few years ago. Most that I've seen have been actual hunting and hog guns, more so than precision rifles, but DD has a bolt gun for that.
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I found one at Eurooptic for less than $2k and bought it. I asked if they had any kind of return policy since nobody around me stocks these. I was shocked. They said 15 days *after* completing FFL transfer I could ship it directly back for a full refund minus a twenty dollar re-stock fee, as long as it was unfired.

Unfortunately this is my first and only 308 and I've picked a fine time to get into a new caliber.

Mine will essentially be a hog hunting gun.

Feedback Score
    Since this is a question of opinion, let me offer mine with a few reasons why.

I have continued to be really impressed by my 6.8 SPC AR rifle. The barrel and bolt are from ARP, the upper is an Aero Precision, SLR handguard, and SLR adjustable gas block. The upper assembly sits on Colt Sporter lower.

I'm a long time 7.62 (.308) guy. The power and range are undisputed but it's heavy. Heavy is a dirty word when you're breaking trail in the woods. The cartridge isn't optimized in a 16" barrel.

This 6.8 rifle is amazingly accurate. Using plain Jane factory Sellier & Bellot FMJ ammo I can easily put 20 rounds into a 3/4" circle at 100yds.

If you're limited to factory ammo for hunting, check out the 6.8 Forum for specific recommendations. This caliber will cleanly take down everything from groundhogs to whitetails to giant Texas wild hogs. Depending on the load it retains 1,000 ft lbs of energy at 300 yards which is half way between the .223 and .308.

The cartridge is optimized for a 16" barrel and gains very little in longer barrels whereas the .308 loses a fair amount as the barrel gets shorter. Recoil is just a tad more than a .223 and considerably less than a .308.

So, if you won't be shooting game larger than Eastern whitetails beyond 300 yards, take a hard look at the 6.8. I wish I had discovered this caliber years ago.

Feedback Score
    Congrats on the new blaster. Let us know how it works out for you.
    “I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” – Thomas Jefferson.

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    It's a great gun, lots of features of the more expensive SR25 types. Light, accurate, reliable (when I do my part). Would be pretty wicked with a light 1-4 and lightweight furniture. I plan to hunt with mine as well.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Thanks LSHD. I have a 1-4 Accupower (green duplex) in a Warne XSKEL that I'm going to put on this one. I looked around at just doing rings to save weight but everything I found was heavier than the aluminum one piece Warne mount at 6.7oz. The scope itself is 16oz.

Have you found any ammo yours doesn't like? I'll be unsuppressed 100%. I found some Fed M80 locally that I might go get today assuming it cycles well in these.

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzlyblake View Post
    Thanks LSHD. I have a 1-4 Accupower (green duplex) in a Warne XSKEL that I'm going to put on this one. I looked around at just doing rings to save weight but everything I found was heavier than the aluminum one piece Warne mount at 6.7oz. The scope itself is 16oz.

Have you found any ammo yours doesn't like? I'll be unsuppressed 100%. I found some Fed M80 locally that I might go get today assuming it cycles well in these.
    Shoots everything just fine, groups REALLY open up with m80 ball. Like 5 moa.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Well that sucks. What about Win Q3130?

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzlyblake View Post
    Well that sucks. What about Win Q3130?
    Haven't shot it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast