Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Affordable Reliable Lightweight Carbine

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Not everyone needs a ~$1500 rifle with another ~$1000 of optics, lights, etc.

Being in a house of one, if the SHTF and I needed a 5.56 rifle, my KAC LPR is hard to beat but, you are talking over $2K without optics, lights, etc.

For a ranch rifle riding in a SxS, a 'better' cheap AR-15 works just fine. In the trunk of a civilian car, your average commercial AR-15 will serve the vast majority just fine once they shoot it enough with whatever ammo they use to prove its basic reliability. Ammo and Mags are a vital component so, spending a ~$1,000 and more for lights, lasers, etc. and then buying cheap ammo because you blew your budget on a red dot or scope negates to a large degree the rest of your purchase.

Secondly, run your rifle setup every once and a while so, unlike the one in the Squad CAR/SUV that shook the stock loose or dropped lower parts, you know it is OUT OF SERVICE before you really need it. This applies to all rifles, even my KAC LPR because stuff happens when they sit neglected in the trunk of a car, rifle rack of a pickup/tractor/SxS, etc.

If you really don't require an AR-15, a bolt action or lever gun MIGHT be a better choice for many people though, it won't be the best option to turn back the zombie hordes. For an LEO in a non-urban area, a solid bolt or lever action is often overlooked. If local politics and police rules allowed it, personally I'd be looking at a classic 30-30 as I won't be needing a 600 yard rifle, I might need more oomph that a 5.56, and they are a common and known quantity. Personally, for an RV motorhome rifle, a 44Mag lever gun is light and handy and a lot less likely to draw unwanted attention out and about than an AR-15 with a 30 round magazine.

For a fun rifle to plink and light training, I'd argue a cheaper AR-15 might be better because IF you have a magazine problem, BCG failure, etc. you really want to train to handle those failures before you ACTUALLY need your rifle, of course this assumes your 'duty' weapon is in good order and available (i.e. cheap AR-15 in the SxS with the chainsaw and hay bales, and KAC LPR at the house ready to go).

So, context matters:
    Second or third rifle for non-'duty' use, PSA, S&W, Springfield, whatever from a known quantity
    Only rifle or 'duty' rifle, save up for a premium brand that is proven. Budget only for the rifle. Once you have the rifle, then worry about optics, lasers, etc.

Case in point, I'll take my KAC LPR with back-up irons by itself with one good magazine and ammo over a BCM or other favored brand with a ~$1,000 of optics and other accessories. Case in point right now as any potential 'field of fire' is inside 200 yards, a cheap red dot works just fine. No, I won't produce social media brag worthy groups but, that isn't the point either. If it will smoke feral hogs (and dogs being an issue right now), with appropriate justification it would do the same to someone that means me or those I care about harm.
    Last edited by Sid Post; 03-22-20 at 13:56. Reason: auto-correct failure

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnatus15 View Post
    Maybe this is asking too much but what would you recommend for an affordable, lightweight, and reliable carbine for the purpose of HD and training? All that's going on it will be a sling, light and maybe red dot. Hope ya'll are staying healthy. Thanks.

Edit: Would like to try and keep the entire build under a grand.
    A White Oak upper (WOA SPR with BCG) and a solid lower group would easily be under a $1,000 for most people and a really good option.

While not a 'pencil barrel' upper, a mid-weight barrel with rifle or intermediate gas is a really nice option that is within your price range is where I would start my search.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Good Fast Cheap, pick 2

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I feel bad for people who ask this question sometimes. So many wildly varying opinions and answers.

However, in the spirit of what m4carbine.net is, the more serious user, for a first rifle or only rifle, don’t be QC guinea pig for PSA et al. Buy the most rifle you can for a grand and shoot irons. Then save for an Aimpoint Pro, T1/H1/T2 or even an MRO. The previously mentioned BCM, SOLGW, Sionics will serve you well and would be considered the start point for duty grade (imo).

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer_Man View Post
    I would recommend buying the most rifle you can for $1k, and purchasing the accessories later. Being that Colts are not available right now, I would recommend a basic Sionics, SOLGW, or maybe BCM. All three can be had near $1k, and would be good enough to bet your life on. Learn to shoot with your iron sights, and save up for an Aimpoint PRO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas View Post
    I feel bad for people who ask this question sometimes. So many wildly varying opinions and answers.

However, in the spirit of what m4carbine.net is, the more serious user, for a first rifle or only rifle, don’t be QC guinea pig for PSA et al. Buy the most rifle you can for a grand and shoot irons. Then save for an Aimpoint Pro, T1/H1/T2 or even an MRO. The previously mentioned BCM, SOLGW, Sionics will serve you well and would be considered the start point for duty grade (imo).
    Get a weapon light first. Then a sling.

Get an RDS after.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sid Post View Post
    So, context matters:
    Second or third rifle for non-'duty' use, PSA, S&W, Springfield, whatever from a known quantity
    Only rifle or 'duty' rifle, save up for a premium brand that is proven. Budget only for the rifle. Once you have the rifle, then worry about optics, lasers, etc.

Case in point, I'll take my KAC LPR with back-up irons by itself with one good magazine and ammo over a BCM or other favored brand with a ~$1,000 of optics and other accessories. Case in point right now as any potential 'field of fire' is inside 200 yards, a cheap red dot works just fine. No, I won't produce social media brag worthy groups but, that isn't the point either. If it will smoke feral hogs (and dogs being an issue right now), with appropriate justification it would do the same to someone that means me or those I care about harm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas View Post

Exactly! Many people buy a lesser rifle so they can get a bunch of mall Ninja stuff they can't use and don't really understand. Buy the best rifle you can first if it is your one and only or, a duty weapon or, a SHTF rifle. Other stuff can be added later IF IT IS NEEDED, IF NOT YOU STILL HAVE A GOOD RIFLE TO COUNT ON WORKING WHEN YOU NEED IT!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JediGuy View Post
    26, do you use the Tranquilo brake and furniture?
    How do you like the upper-handguard connection?
    No, I don't use the brake as it isn't compatible with my suppressor.

I use the LaRue furniture, but, I'd like to add this isn't a rifle I spend much time standing and shooting, I'm usually prone, off the bench, or some other supported position. The LaRue grip suits me fine for this rifle's application, all my other rifles have B5 Type 23 grips.

I really like the upper-guard connection, especially the top rail union, it looks seamless.

I don't have many rounds through this, less than 500, but it is a shooter. I got it with the intent of doing some precision rifle matches. That hasn't worked out because if I shot precision rifle in addition to my other firearms activities I'd never be in church.

If your friend is anticipating getting a LaRue lower to make a complete rifle, my advice would be order them at the same time. I bought my rifle just before they started offering lowers, so when I ordered the lower several months later the colors weren't an exact match. That may not be an issue as I didn't see any color other than black offered last time I looked.

Also, it probably isn't a big deal, but I don't believe you'll find the LaRue upper to be compatible with extended bolt catches - see this picture:

https://static.larue.com/media/image...MLOK-50417.JPG

I don't think your friend would regret getting one at all.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Excellent, thanks for the info

Feedback Score
    Thanks to everyone who replied. As of midnight tonight Ohio will be locked down until April 6. So, it looks like I may have some extra time to save. I have an IWC mount for standard A2 style hand guards (assuming it fits) and a Surefire Fury I can mount to it. I like minimalism in my weapons, couldn't care less about looks. I'm not mounting a PEQ-15 or anything crazy so standard hand guards work just fine for me. Also have a few slings laying around I can throw on it. From what has been recommended I'm going to just budget for the rifle as recommended and add an Aimpoint Pro down the road. I've got 10-15 mags or so laying around and some stocks.

Colt had the perfect place in the market with the basic reliable carbine around the $7-800 mark. Too bad they pulled out of the civi market, big mistake IMO. Hopefully they'll be back.

With all of that being said I'm taking a hard look at this one: https://sonsoflibertygw.com/the-lega...hting-trigger/

I have a Sprinco Blue Spring and H2 buffer, not sure if that is optimal with a mid-gas set up?

I was forced to sell all my stuff off a couple years ago and just trying to get a nice basic reliable rifle to have in case I need it.

Thanks again everyone for your suggestions.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnatus15 View Post
    I have a Sprinco Blue Spring and H2 buffer, not sure if that is optimal with a mid-gas set up?
    I've been running a Springco blue and H2 in my midlengths for years. Zero problems.
    Experience is a cruel teacher, gives the exam first and then the lesson.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast