Page 13 of 32 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: AMMO? (GUN/AMMO SHORTAGES, DISCUSSION HERE)

Feedback Score
    I am not looking to sell off extra.

I am a hoarding MFer.

Grew up poor.

Like weekends at my grandparents in the early 70s with an outhouse, hand pump water, tub in shed for baths, hot water from pans on wood stove, outhouse until I was five or six poor while my mom waited on tables on the weekends for extra money poor.
    Father died in an accident before I was a teenager poor.

With grandparents that were logging camp, slate mine, granite mining, farming poor depression era.

Work, be honest, take no handouts that made America strong poor.

I may have lost millions in potential income while staying in the military during a war for a dozen years.
    But I am in the five bucks a minute zone kind of affluence now.

Every damn time I tried to stop hoarding, it bit me in the ass.

That shoelace I had extra for 22 years. needed it within a month after I threw it out.
    That pair of boots extra I had in the back of the truck for a decade? Blew out a shoe at work a week later and could have used them.
    The scope covers i had for thirty years and threw out? Would have been a perfect match for the ones I lost 11 days later.
    Those original metal baseplates for trashed beretta mags? Came in perfect for replacing the crappy new breaking plastic ones.

That old carry handle mount and 30$ service merchandise bushnell 3x9 scope I bought in 1990?
    Handed it to a guy that inherited an SP1 and was between jobs.

Those old seikos I picked up for like 100 bucks each on seiko from ebay 20 years ago trying to find my first one I lost that were a good deal?
    Selling for five or ten times as much now.

I am using the word hoarding wrong.

That Gerber MKII or BMF you replaced with a better knife but never got rid of? It's not like a pile of mouldy old newspapers or beanie babies that have been pissed on by a tomcat. They are a functional item that can still be used, gifted to someone that needs a knife, or sold to a collector.

Anyone looking for a 1980s Al Mar SERE Attack folder or HP15C?
    “Where weapons may not be carried, it is well to carry weapons.”

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ramairthree View Post
    Did gun stores just empty out where you are?

I have not been in one since last Saturday.

I picked up a rare variant of a classic old DA/SA metal gun that had been traded in.
    It was total business as usual.

I am hearing reports these places are empty now.

It blows my mind people have lived through the 94-04 ban, Obama, sandy hook, etc. and are out panic buying and we have shut down and ruined an economy and countless businesses and jobs over a virus that absolute worst case would have killed 120- 650 thousand of the exact same 3 million people that were going to die of heart, respiratory, stroke, infections, etc. this year even without the virus.

Anyway,
    Without opening safes or getting into stuff, I shall sit and stare at some walls while shaking my head over the madness,
    There's a whole population of people that didn't live through that or were too young to remember it. For example, my one cousin was born in 00 and the other one in 04. Both are old enough to own guns..... barely. These people can't just all of a sudden own stack of guns and crates of ammo.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Shooter View Post
    IF possible- could you post a pic or two of that Montgomery Ward ammo? I collect old ammo boxes, and Id love to see it.
    MAYBE even buy one box?
    I have some antique shit in storage. If I can find it, Ill send it to you. Hit me with a PM with your email, and Ill send a pick and confirm its of interest before I send it.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I don't understand the shotgun issue. Not everyone is into guns or follows the latest mods and innovations. Some people just want something that defends their home.

Feedback Score
    thirty years ago I had a Mossberg 500 loaded with buckshot under the bed for home defense.

I may now have a laser, WML 20 round mag 9mm and SBR 40 round mag SBR with suppressor both with top of the line ammo ready to go for HD. But old habits die hard. There is still a Mossberg 500 with buckshot and now with WML with them.
    “Where weapons may not be carried, it is well to carry weapons.”

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAlsatian View Post
    some of my vintage 22LR ammo, all the boxes are full:
    [QUOTE=Artos;2825918]
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAlsatian View Post
    some of my vintage 22LR ammo, all the boxes are full:

Nice!! I was on rimfirecentral & they had a thread about quality ammo from the 70's & 80's & went through my stash...I'm gonna use this shut down to play with my 50yd obsession.

Attachment 61380
    Nice pics...havent seen the Mastercraft brand before.
    Artos- those Gold Medal .22's were freakin unreal accurate out of my old Marlin 2000 match gun.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Shooter View Post

As you saw in my pics, I have Mastercraft as well. They were sold in Coast to Coast Stores, which was a budget chain connected with TruValue Hardware. The Mastercraft ammo was budget .22 LR made in Canada. I don't remember how well it shot back when I was a teenager, because I shot anything I could get my hands on, and it was readily available.
    Last edited by OH58D; 03-22-20 at 22:44.
    Maj. USAR (Ret) 160th SOAR, 2/17 CAV
    NRA Life Member
    Black Mesa Ranch. Raising Fine Cattle and Horses in San Miguel County since 1879

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lsllc View Post
    The surprising thing is that magazines are in abdundance.

Quote Originally Posted by themonk View Post
    My local store that I have good friends at said that everyone wanted shotguns. If they had 500 shotguns they could have sold them all.

WTF? Shotguns?

As of mid week still had handguns other than glocks and some ARs. They said noone is buying stripped lowers or AR parts. All new gun owners that are totally clueless.
    Completely different crowd than 2008. These are not savvy gun folks. Or worried about AW bans.

They are worried about something far more immediate.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    I don't understand the shotgun issue. Not everyone is into guns or follows the latest mods and innovations. Some people just want something that defends their home.
    At least in Washington State Shotguns and bolt/lever/hunting rifles are the only things you can get same day now. Even with a CPL you have to wait to pick up cause the state pissed of the FBI and the same day check system. I-1639 killed same day semi-auto long gun sales. Now I’m seeing posts by gun stores talking about people coming in and complaining they have to wait.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    [QUOTE=Straight Shooter;2825962]
    Quote Originally Posted by Artos View Post

Artos- those Gold Medal .22's were freakin unreal accurate out of my old Marlin 2000 match gun.
    I'm an admitted 22 snob & shot some 50yd benchrest back in the 90's & early 2000 with tuners and the whole 9 yards...I have 2 bricks of that Fed but it's the REALLY good 900 series & not the top shelf GM Match that competed with Tenex & Benchrest Gold back in the day. Not sure why we dumped the tooling to compete with the brits in the rf game, but oh well?? I'm gonna use this down time to play with the little guns again & have a 40x repeater, a 40x KS sporter, an Anshutz FWT & Kimber Custom Match I've never wrung out. It may be a while but will be fun to see which bug holes the best. Finding good days may be a challenge this time of year in deep s. tx.
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."
    Japanese Admiral Yamamoto, 1941

"A wise man's heart directs him toward the right, but a foolish man's heart directs him toward the left."
    Ecclesiastes 10:2:

Page 13 of 32 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast