Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Auto sales in the current climate

Feedback Score
    Went to look at a new truck ( 2019 ) late last week , and couldn`t believe the BS they tried to pull . Ford dealer gave me list price minus rebates , and then tacked on $1,195 in a Dealer BS package . Everything from nitrogen in tires to "First Place Finish " . Added a doc fee of $225 . Also low balled me on trade in by over $3000 ( I had done my homework before I went in ) . They had a promotion on where they said they would give 125% OF KBB for your trade ..... which they didn`t do . Even had the equipment the truck had on it wrong ( on purpose ? ). I told them that when they were ready to get serious , give me a call and walked out .
    Went to the Ram dealer next and went through the same BS ..... Doc fee of $569 and another dealer added "Package " for $2596 which they never would explain what it covered. So , I walked out of there also .
    I will say that both of these dealers used to be owned by local folks who recently sold out to large dealerships who owned almost every other dealership in the area . Looks like they feel they have a monopoly and can do whatever they like .

I understand making a profit , but this is ridiculous .... next stop will be CarMax . I`m in a position where I don`t have to get a truck , but was trying to upgrade if the price was right . Current truck has only 45,000 miles on it and runs fine , it`s just that the driver`s seat isn`t all that comfortable on a long trip .... around town it`s fine .
    I also understand that floor traffic is way off , but stuff like this won`t help sales .

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Hopefully I can get my Tacoma TRD Pro on a discount soon!
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Carmax shouldn't be an option if you're interested in a good deal. Most of their inventory is priced $3 or $4 thousand above the retail value.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by odugrad View Post
    Carmax shouldn't be an option if you're interested in a good deal. Most of their inventory is priced $3 or $4 thousand above the retail value.
    I'm baffled at why people talk about CarMax being such a great place... I'm nearly always able to get better vehicles for less.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 63Qcode View Post
    Went to look at a new truck ( 2019 ) late last week , and couldn`t believe the BS they tried to pull . Ford dealer gave me list price minus rebates , and then tacked on $1,195 in a Dealer BS package . Everything from nitrogen in tires to "First Place Finish " . Added a doc fee of $225 . Also low balled me on trade in by over $3000 ( I had done my homework before I went in ) . They had a promotion on where they said they would give 125% OF KBB for your trade ..... which they didn`t do . Even had the equipment the truck had on it wrong ( on purpose ? ). I told them that when they were ready to get serious , give me a call and walked out .
    Went to the Ram dealer next and went through the same BS ..... Doc fee of $569 and another dealer added "Package " for $2596 which they never would explain what it covered. So , I walked out of there also .
    I will say that both of these dealers used to be owned by local folks who recently sold out to large dealerships who owned almost every other dealership in the area . Looks like they feel they have a monopoly and can do whatever they like .

I understand making a profit , but this is ridiculous .... next stop will be CarMax . I`m in a position where I don`t have to get a truck , but was trying to upgrade if the price was right . Current truck has only 45,000 miles on it and runs fine , it`s just that the driver`s seat isn`t all that comfortable on a long trip .... around town it`s fine .
    I also understand that floor traffic is way off , but stuff like this won`t help sales .
    You're a prime Carmax or Cavana customer. Good luck.

odugrad, that is because they pay that much more for their trade-ins. They just shift everything up to the buyer.

pinz, they are easy. Here is the car, here is the price, here are the keys if you want to drive it around. Buy it or not, they don't care. They also shuffle inventory from store to store to make it appear they are moving a ton of vehicles in your market.
    Last edited by Vandal; 03-21-20 at 23:07.
    Reads a lot, posts little.

Past the second cattle guard, at the end of the gravel road
    Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    I had my old Jeep up for sale, priced to sell quick .
    Then delayed the sale due to C19, don’t want a bunch of face to face contact.

People are darn near begging to come buy it.
    I guess I set the price too low.
    "Jill, if there's ever a problem, just walk out on the balcony ... take that double-barrel shotgun and fire two blasts outside the house,.." VP Joe Biden Feb 19, 2013

Feedback Score
    Looking at the comments about CarMax .... looks like my sarcasm on them didn`t translate well . If you look at their pricing , it isn`t a whole lot under new vehicle pricing .
    If I want a used car/truck , I go to the local Credit Union parking lot . Every weekend they open their parking lot up for anyone that wants to sell a car/truck , boat , motorcycle , camper etc . No dealers allowed . Put a sign on the window with the info and a contact number and leave ..... pick it up on Sunday evening . I sold my last truck there . IMO , always better to deal one on one with the owner .
    Talked to the branch manager and she said they get a lot of financing from that service .

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Took my 2000 Toyota LC to the dealer for a new battery and they are trying their best to convince people getting service to trade in their car for a new one. Promotional flyers everywhere. Girl from the dealership called me shortly after I left trying to pique my interest. No thanks, I’ll keep my paid for 2000 LC.
    SLG Defense 07/02 FFL/SOT

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    If you find the right dealer you could probably offer to trade ammo for a new vehicle even up.
    Open the pig!

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshNC View Post
    Took my 2000 Toyota LC to the dealer for a new battery and they are trying their best to convince people getting service to trade in their car for a new one. Promotional flyers everywhere. Girl from the dealership called me shortly after I left trying to pique my interest. No thanks, I’ll keep my paid for 2000 LC.
    That's the spirit. My daily driver is paid for and gets over 30mph. I'm happy with that.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast