Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Multi-cal vs dedicated experience (silencers)

Feedback Score

Multi-cal vs dedicated experience (silencers)

Hosts: 9mm machinegun, ak, 223 precision rifle, 6.5cm precision rifle

Im currently considering either:
    1. Silencerco 36M OR
    2. Yhm R9 for subgun/AK,
    And something else (vox s, DA nomad, socom260Ti, etc) for 6.5/556.

Main questions/concerns:
    1. Will I be happy with 36M suppression in a 6.5/556? (Assume long with dedicated end cap)
    2. Will a 7” x 1.6” silencer be a noticeable performance difference in the sound vs my revolution9?

Edited to remove the BS and get to the point
    Last edited by MegademiC; 03-23-20 at 16:39.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I don't know those cans, but I don't see a big difference in sound suppression, shooting 9mm out of a 45 can. And same with 30cal can shooting .223. I even shoot my 338 can with 300WM.

I would get one good 9mm can for your sub gun. I went with a 9mm TiRant Modular with Trilug adapter. Then buy one good 30 cal can and you will be set.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    A dedicated 5.56 can will be quieter than an Omega 36M when shooting 5.56, but how much better sounding one is over the other is difficult to say. What's pleasing to my ears may not be to your ears. With that said, I don't think you'll regret an Omega 36M, but I do think you'll eventually get dedicated cans for each caliber you shoot. Silencers are like potato chips haha.

Feedback Score
    Thanks guys... im leaning towards the R9 for the m11, and a 308 or 6.5 silencer for the precision rifles.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Unless you are running a meter every time you shoot, I am not sure you will ‘hear’ much difference in volume. The tone to the ear seems to be the bigger change to me. I ran a DA Sandman-L, Omega and Chimera side by side out of a 5.56 with 10.5” barrel and ‘volume-wise’ they all sounded about the same...the DA and Omega had the best tone.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    It would be nice if we had some standard that makes it easier to compare. I do think the "at ear" db rating is an improvement over measuring at the muzzle. A lot of cans that are "hearing safe" at the muzzle with 5.56 are not hearing safe (over 140 db) when measured at the ear. I think, when it comes to 5.56 out of semi-autos, the expectation should be either not hearing safe or very close to 140 db at the ear. Is there a way to measure tone in a way that can be translated into a comparison between cans? I suspect this would be hard because we all hear a little bit differently.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GAMathTeacher View Post
    It would be nice if we had some standard that makes it easier to compare. I do think the "at ear" db rating is an improvement over measuring at the muzzle. A lot of cans that are "hearing safe" at the muzzle with 5.56 are not hearing safe (over 140 db) when measured at the ear. I think, when it comes to 5.56 out of semi-autos, the expectation should be either not hearing safe or very close to 140 db at the ear. Is there a way to measure tone in a way that can be translated into a comparison between cans? I suspect this would be hard because we all hear a little bit differently.
    “Pew Science” claims that they have a new standard for comparable independent testing that takes variables beyond peak db into account. Could be something to watch, or maybe it will be a flop. Dunno.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Well, hopefully in the next year I will be able to give you input on a Multi-Cal can.

Just started my wait, hearing returns of stamps, Form 4 filed as Trust, coming back in 60-90 days right now. Verified by multiple independent SOT.

Sad though, people waiting at +300 days right now for May filers, but October filings are already coming back.

Crazy.

Feedback Score
    I’m waiting for my first suppressor, Omega 36m, filed in May. I’m also considering buying a second can and get the process started. I’m considering a Surefire RC 2 in 5.56 for a 10.5” MK18.

I can’t find any info on flash suppression for any can that I’ve researched except for the Surefire.
    Last edited by Pipper; 07-27-20 at 18:12.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Normally there is a trade off with larger bore diameter reducing suppression and back pressure levels.

This can be offset by increasing number of baffles, which adds length and weight.

So generally, the "only" benefit of a dedicated 556 can is lower length and weight.

The R9 is very interesting, as they've chosen to work along a third dimension, that of pressure / heat capacity.

It is thinner and lighter duty than most suppressors, but has 8 or 9 baffles packed in there.

This allows it to put up fairly impressive suppression numbers in a short, lightweight package.

The trade off is a 16" minimum barrel length requirements on the rifle calibers, which is fine for many users.

Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    Thanks guys... im leaning towards the R9 for the m11, and a 308 or 6.5 silencer for the precision rifles.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast