79 85.87%
  • 9x19mm

1 1.09%
  • .44 Special / .45 ACP / .45 Colt

3 3.26%
  • Other

0 0%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best concealed carry revolver caliber?

Feedback Score

Best concealed carry revolver caliber?

.22 LR / .22 Magnum. Easy to find ammo. Low recoil practice, 6-8 shots, fast recovery, cheaper ammo. Heavier triggers, penetration may be lacking.

.327 magnum. Fires .32 acp, .32 S&W Short, .32 S&W Long, .32 H&R Magnum, .327 Magnum. Low recoil practice, 6-7 shots, fast recovery with most ammo. Ammo is expensive except the .32 acp, which takes a little tapping to eject, and .32 acp isn't as accurate.

.38 Special / .357 Magnum. Easy to find ammo. 5-7 shots, ammo price more than 9mm (non-panic times) but reasonable. About the same as .32 S&W Long for similar quality. Recoil can slow recovery and shorten practice sessions. Bullet pull can be an issue in the lighter guns.

9mm. Easy to find ammo. 5 shots. Cheap ammo (non-panic times) Recoil can slow recovery and shorten practice sessions. Uses moon clips for better or worse. Bullet pull can be an issue in the lighter guns.

.44 Special / .45 ACP / .45 Colt. 5 shots. Less muzzle blast than the magnum calibers. Recoil can slow recovery and practice sessions. Ammo is more expensive than the others above. Bullet starts off wider than the others, less dependent on expansion and the slow bullets tend not to over penetrate anyway.
    Last edited by Ron3; 09-23-20 at 13:43.

Feedback Score
    For a revolver, I carry 357 Magnum though I can be convinced to do 38 +P.

I don’t trust rim fire as much for self defense but in an 8 shot, you can just keep pulling the trigger. An North American Arms is better than a rock.

I have a Taurus 905 5 round 9 mm for a fun gun. Recoil is like a 38 Special.

I have an Ruger Alaskan 454 Casull but shot to shot recovery is slower but doable.

I have a S&W 629 3” Deluxe 44 Magnum which I can shoot as fast as a 357 Magnum. Not a bad idea but loud and likely to overpenetrate.

I have several 500 Magnum but I’d only carry a S&W 500 Magnum 4” if necessary. Sort of loud. Likely chance of overpenetration through 2-3 targets. Slow on recovery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Why the hell would you conceal carry a revolver?
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    38/357 just because you get more options for how you're going to carry your spare ammo.

If there were more options for 9mm - like 6-shot revolvers and half-moon clips - I'd lean toward the 9mm.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    The Ruger LCR 327 Federal Magnum makes a great pocket or backup gun.

I really like shooting 32 H&R Magnum from mine.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Why the hell would you conceal carry a revolver?
    Because some people only do things the hard way?

I've got a few revolvers, and really like them. I'd certainly not choose one of them for concealed carry. A 5" all steel 1911 would go with me before the 4" Model 19.

Feedback Score
    Why would someone post in a thread they care nothing about only to be contrarian?

Bored? Drunk? Trolls? Too lazy to start their own thread? All the above? Just a rhetorical question. Don't try to answer it.

Thanks to those who offer relevant opinions regarding the subject of the thread.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I kinda agree with Wake but if I were concealing a revolver it would be in a caliber that requires no extra special tools or additional pieces and a caliber that's found in any gun store and none gun store alike. So that would be 38/357.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    Why would someone post in a thread they care nothing about only to be contrarian?

Bored? Drunk? Trolls? Too lazy to start their own thread? All the above? Just a rhetorical question. Don't try to answer it.

Thanks to those who offer relevant opinions regarding the subject of the thread.
    Well this is a discussion forum so I'm trying to discuss why someone would voluntarily choose that option because it seems illogical to me and I'm curious.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Well this is a discussion forum so I'm trying to discuss why someone would voluntarily choose that option because it seems illogical to me and I'm curious.
    Should one carry a revolver is different discussion than this one and I'm sure there are already threads about that topic. But if there is not one currently by all means start one and we'll chat all about it.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast