79 85.87%
  • 9x19mm

1 1.09%
  • .44 Special / .45 ACP / .45 Colt

3 3.26%
  • Other

0 0%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Best concealed carry revolver caliber?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by utahjeepr View Post

I have been interested in .327 FM since it came out. Intellectually it appealed to me, but not enough to make the leap I suppose. I wish more was available in the caliber, but I suppose guys like me are most of the problem there.

I have thought about 9mm. Tick, tock... Yeah, that's about as far as I got with that.

The wheel has a place in my carry routine, guess cause I just feel like it sometimes. Occasionally it goes as a back up, spends a lot of time in the center console or wedged between the driver and center seat in the truck....
    I read (and talk to) about guys not wanting to "switch" to .327 because they already have a bunch of .38.

I'm thinking many of these guys hardly ever shoot their snubs.

I found I could easily sell the ammo I didn't want to shoot. (.357 practice ammo) and as I used up my .38 stock simply stop buying it and buy .32 ammo instead. Just phase it in.

I can see why a guy who has a bunch of reloading equipment and supplies in .38 being hesitant.

My wife has a .327 LCR and I the .357 LCR. I'm debating whether to get my own .327, a .44 Bulldog, (okay not likely, probably more of a fun gun) or try not to "need" a revolver at all, keep the .357 LCR, but as a stash gun out of carry selection.

But these little revolvers offer so much carry ability, draw speed and reliability it's hard to be without one.

Feedback Score
    I voted .38/.357. There are a plethora of great guns available, ammo is (usually) plentiful, and you have power options depending on your needs. But I don’t carry one.

When the mood moves me to carry a revolver it’s either a .44 Mag or 10mm. I can cast my own bullets, load my own ammo and even a simple WFN @1,100+ fps is going to leave a mark. But I'm old, contrary and don’t always do the “best” things. BTW, All my revolvers are six shot.
    Last edited by Gunnar da Wolf; 04-02-20 at 13:04.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Why the hell would you conceal carry a revolver?
    I enjoy revolvers. Especially S&W Centennials. My revolver choice is the 642. It’s small and light. I carry three spare speed strips. I use a pocket holster. A Kramer pouch strong side and two spare speed strips in my left front pocket. I prefer my S&W Shield in 9mm. I’ve apparently been asleep at the wheel. I just discovered the G43X. I’m picking one up this week with Shield 15 round mags.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have 2x revolvers on my permit. My 442 is for pocket carry. I had trouble warming to .380. By the time the reliable, pocketable (for me) 9mm pistols started coming out, I was stationed back in California and none are on the roster.

I also have my 4" 657 in .41 Mag on my permit. I can be in the Sierra Nevadas in about 45 min and I like having something capable of more horsepower.

I chose .38/357 for the poll. The .41 is more "niche" than "best."

Feedback Score
    Well this is a discussion forum so I'm trying to discuss why someone would voluntarily choose that option because it seems illogical to me and I'm curious.
    I started as a commissioned LEO in 1987. Well over 50% of us carried wheel guns then. Many of us worked the streets and wheel guns kept us safe. I'm confident carrying one when I do because I KNOW they will perform. That said, is a revolver my first and/or only choice for EDC? NO!. There ARE times though when a light j-frame makes sense. I live in a very HOT climate and it is not uncommmon for me to go out in flip-flops, light athletic shorts with a dri-fit t-shirt that prints like a MF.

I can throw my S&W 340PD .357 Mag in a pocket holster in my shorts and it is feather light and you forget its there. Said revolver is a defensive piece only and is there to get me OUT of a situation. Remember, the gun ON YOU is better than the one left in the safe, or locked in the vehicle.

I'm not a LEO anymore. 25 years was enough. That said, short of a road trip... If I feel like I'm going somewhere that I will need a 15+1 9mm with a reload on me... I will consider NOT going there. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt.

Times are changing though... With the CV panic going on, I don't leave my property line without a 9mm or .45 ACP on me with a reload... When things settle down again, that little .357 will do the job.
    U.S. Army vet. -- Retired 25 year LEO.

Feedback Score
    I recently watched a pod cast put on by Primary and Secondary on “non standard” defensive weapons. Revolvers were brought up and one of the panelists, Darryl Bolke, pointed out a pretty good reason he often carries a revolver (or two).

It involves travel, if you travel in or around jurisdictions that are not friendly to gun owners a revolver is a safer option a lot of times. Say you check your carry gun into luggage in the appropriate case at the airline baggage check, TSA does their bit, you get on the bird and off you go flying to Philly for example. Good to go, you have a CCW that is valid in Pennsylvania. Uh oh, weather is shit over Philly and you are now diverted to Newark, NJ. What’s in your hard case? A Glock 19 with a couple 15 round magazines? Congrats you’re a criminal in NJ now as soon as you claim your luggage. Say it’s a 3” bbl .357 magnum, or a J Frame, you are OK just leave it in the case. Get your rental car and get out of NJ, once you’re in PA holster that revolver up and go about your business.

Mr. Bolke does security work for rich folks and is often called on short notice to travel, sometimes with no good pre warning on where he will end up. As a retired LEO he can CCW in any state, but state laws on magazine capacities and ammunition no no’s still apply to retired LEO’s just like other citizens. His travel guns are concealable revolvers, because they can go anywhere. He stokes the J Frame with wadcutters because they are effective at snubby velocities and don’t get him in trouble in places where hollow points are a no no. I think he mentioned using jacketed soft point ammo in .357’s for the same reason.

So if you’re traveling in or around places that are not gun friendly there’s a good reason to have some wheel guns.

Don’t think shit can get sideways like that?

https://www.nj.com/news/2011/01/supreme_court_to_consider_whet.html
    Last edited by Coal Dragger; 04-15-20 at 09:50.

Feedback Score
    I own two revolvers. A S&W 629 .44 mag and a Taurus 605. I carry the 629 for hunting and I carry the 605 quite regularly for CCW. I shoot the 605 very accurately and 5 rounds of .357 (with two reloads) should stop any single human threat. My 605 has been very reliable and it is accurate for me.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CDR_Glock View Post
    I carry a S&W 640 357 Magnum 5 Shot in the pocket. When I’m walking in town, my hand is already on the revolver. I can draw and shoot from concealment extremely fast in that mode. I use a desantis pocket holster. I know of no faster draw than a gun your hand is already on.

I carry a Glock 19, Gen 5 as a backup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    What part of Somalia do you live in to need to carry 2 pistols routinely? With your hand already on one?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Devildawg2531 View Post
    What part of Somalia do you live in to need to carry 2 pistols routinely? With your hand already on one?
    It is not unusual for me to carry two handguns when out in public. A primary such as my S&W .40 Shield, 605, Glock 17 or CZ75B with my PT738 .380 in my front right pocket as a back-up.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Red*Lion View Post
    It is not unusual for me to carry two handguns when out in public. A primary such as my S&W .40 Shield, 605, Glock 17 or CZ75B with my PT738 .380 in my front right pocket as a back-up.
    I'm pretty basic. 90 % of the time I carry a G26 with extended mag and 1 extra standard mag. That or a G27 for about 25 years has been my CCW
    Last edited by Devildawg2531; 04-17-20 at 16:41. Reason: typo

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast