79 85.87%
  • 9x19mm

1 1.09%
  • .44 Special / .45 ACP / .45 Colt

3 3.26%
  • Other

0 0%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best concealed carry revolver caliber?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

Best concealed carry revolver caliber?

.22 LR / .22 Magnum. Easy to find ammo. Low recoil practice, 6-8 shots, fast recovery, cheaper ammo. Heavier triggers, penetration may be lacking.

.327 magnum. Fires .32 acp, .32 S&W Short, .32 S&W Long, .32 H&R Magnum, .327 Magnum. Low recoil practice, 6-7 shots, fast recovery with most ammo. Ammo is expensive except the .32 acp, which takes a little tapping to eject, and .32 acp isn't as accurate.

.38 Special / .357 Magnum. Easy to find ammo. 5-7 shots, ammo price more than 9mm (non-panic times) but reasonable. About the same as .32 S&W Long for similar quality. Recoil can slow recovery and shorten practice sessions. Bullet pull can be an issue in the lighter guns.

9mm. Easy to find ammo. 5 shots. Cheap ammo (non-panic times) Recoil can slow recovery and shorten practice sessions. Uses moon clips for better or worse. Bullet pull can be an issue in the lighter guns.

.44 Special / .45 ACP / .45 Colt. 5 shots. Less muzzle blast than the magnum calibers. Recoil can slow recovery and practice sessions. Ammo is more expensive than the others above. Bullet starts off wider than the others, less dependent on expansion and the slow bullets tend not to over penetrate anyway.
    Last edited by Ron3; 09-23-20 at 13:43.

Feedback Score
    For a revolver, I carry 357 Magnum though I can be convinced to do 38 +P.

I don’t trust rim fire as much for self defense but in an 8 shot, you can just keep pulling the trigger. An North American Arms is better than a rock.

I have a Taurus 905 5 round 9 mm for a fun gun. Recoil is like a 38 Special.

I have an Ruger Alaskan 454 Casull but shot to shot recovery is slower but doable.

I have a S&W 629 3” Deluxe 44 Magnum which I can shoot as fast as a 357 Magnum. Not a bad idea but loud and likely to overpenetrate.

I have several 500 Magnum but I’d only carry a S&W 500 Magnum 4” if necessary. Sort of loud. Likely chance of overpenetration through 2-3 targets. Slow on recovery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Why the hell would you conceal carry a revolver?
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    38/357 just because you get more options for how you're going to carry your spare ammo.

If there were more options for 9mm - like 6-shot revolvers and half-moon clips - I'd lean toward the 9mm.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    The Ruger LCR 327 Federal Magnum makes a great pocket or backup gun.

I really like shooting 32 H&R Magnum from mine.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Because some people only do things the hard way?

I've got a few revolvers, and really like them. I'd certainly not choose one of them for concealed carry. A 5" all steel 1911 would go with me before the 4" Model 19.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    A 442/642 pocket BUG makes good sense IMO.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    I enjoy revolvers. Especially S&W Centennials. My revolver choice is the 642. It’s small and light. I carry three spare speed strips. I use a pocket holster. A Kramer pouch strong side and two spare speed strips in my left front pocket. I prefer my S&W Shield in 9mm. I’ve apparently been asleep at the wheel. I just discovered the G43X. I’m picking one up this week with Shield 15 round mags.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have 2x revolvers on my permit. My 442 is for pocket carry. I had trouble warming to .380. By the time the reliable, pocketable (for me) 9mm pistols started coming out, I was stationed back in California and none are on the roster.

I also have my 4" 657 in .41 Mag on my permit. I can be in the Sierra Nevadas in about 45 min and I like having something capable of more horsepower.

I chose .38/357 for the poll. The .41 is more "niche" than "best."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I watched a video several weeks ago and this question came up. He carries a hammerless revolver in his coat pocket and a Glock holstered on his belt. He said most people keep their hands in their pockets when talking and if you are in a position where the other person is getting belligerent keeps your hands in your pocket may calm things down or make you appear less threatening. You can fire a revolver from inside your pocket and not risk having a stoppage like you would if you fired an autoloader. You can continue to engage until you can get to your primary holstered weapon

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast