79 85.87%
  • 9x19mm

1 1.09%
  • .44 Special / .45 ACP / .45 Colt

3 3.26%
  • Other

0 0%
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Best concealed carry revolver caliber?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TBAR_94 View Post
    Yeah, it's one of those trade-offs. I was taught that even with revolver capacities, you probably run out of time before you run out of ammo, so I prefer to keep at least a .38/9mm sized projectile. But I know a lot of people who like .327s--most of my revolvers are for the range/hunting, so it's not worth it to me to deal with another caliber to keep in inventory that's only an SD round.
    I got the .327 and started the process of phasing out .38 / .357 by just not buying it anymore, shooting my practice ammo and selling the more expensive ammo. Then buying .32 revolver ammo and loading devices.

Then the rush hit and that put a hold on things so I still have both guns and ammo in these calibers.

But eventually I'll just phase out the bulk of my .38. I almost have, actually, down to maybe 1k rounds of it.

But I see your point regarding using.38/ .357's for hunting. I only have revolvers for SD and lower recoil and the extra shot are more important to me.
    Last edited by Ron3; 09-23-20 at 13:42.

Feedback Score
    I still think .32 magnum / .327 Fed. Is the best SD revolver caliber but sure would like to have a small but stout .44 Special.

Not as big as a Gp100, (had a 3 inch one in .44) not as light as a Charter Arms. Something like a Ruger sp101-sized steel 5-shooter in the 25-30 ounce range with a 2 to 3 inch barrel.

That would be fun.
    Last edited by Ron3; 09-23-20 at 13:50.

Feedback Score
    I carry a S&W Model 60 (.357 J-Frame). I've always been a revolver guy and do not feel "undergunned" using it for EDC.
    Pros:
    Simplicity
    Can use .38 Special & .357 ammunition
    Compact size
    Endless holster options
    Goes bang every single time

Cons:
    Lower round count
    Slower reload

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Black_Sheep View Post
    I carry a S&W Model 60 (.357 J-Frame). I've always been a revolver guy and do not feel "undergunned" using it for EDC.
    Pros:
    Simplicity
    Can use .38 Special & .357 ammunition
    Compact size
    Endless holster options
    Goes bang every single time

Cons:
    Lower round count
    Slower reload
    I would add more weight than a comparable auto in the down side.
    I would also add harder to shoot well due to DA trigger operation vs semi auto.

That said I like the model 60. I have one with a 3 inch barrel. I don't EDC revolvers except a 442 for pocket carry on occasion. But the 60 would be the one I would carry if I did carry a revolver as a main off duty concealed carry gun.
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I've been following this and the other thread about J-Frame setup. I think the change to work from home and casual all the time life lifestyle would be better suited to pocket carry. Now if I could just find a J-frame for sale......

I have a 3" GP100 Special Edition which I enjoy shooting with some experience reloading shooting plates, but will have to get some trigger time on whatever I buy to gain confidence and competence.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456