Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Really good 16"~18" upper for serious use or, best bang for buck?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Really good 16"~18" upper for serious use or, best bang for buck?

I'm a serious fan of KAC rifles and absolutely love my LPR but, I need something that won't hit my wallet as hard this time while still being a professional, duty or, serious use capable upper. Or put another way, I don't want a mass produced commercial upper built to a low price point while protecting a high profit margin thanks to a "good social media campaign"!

Sionics has the Overwatch for ~$700 (commercially) which seems solid. White Oak has the SPR for similar money and is a good match for an older OPS INC can. Sons of Liberty seems to be in the same ballpark but, I don't see any 18" uppers from them in the wild. Maybe I'm missing something but, BCM seems close enough to KAC money, I'd get another KAC upper with their superior gas system and bolts but, I don't want to spend that much and orphan my OPS INC can again. Daniel Defense seems generally overgassed to me which makes some sense for reliability but, I have enough breathing issues already and my vision is bad enough without extra tears.

I am specifically looking for rifle length gas, midweight barrel profiles preferring a true SPR profile (or SPR muzzle with a nominal 0.700" from the chamber to gas block), not overgassed for weak commercial ammunition, and mostly suppressed use with NATO spec ammunition, if not totally dedicated to said higher spec ammunition. Chrome lined is a slight preference but, stainless steel is fine too with a 3MOA requirement with normal ammunition, preferring 1MOA with a superior operator running the rifle with 'cherry picked' ammunition. I'm not hung up on barrel twist but prefer something in the 1x8 range as I'm not going use specialty ammunition in this upper, mostly M193/M855 with some other premium commercial offerings of the non-exotic variety while generally constrained to 200 yards with rare opportunities to 400 yards without specifically going to a dedicated target range for practice. Absolutely no steel cased ammunition unless we are talking post-apocalyptic battlefield pick ups in which case this is really moot as I'm looking for an AK-47 or M-16 and a belt fed with plenty of linked ammo in a technical vehicle along with real 40mm (not chalk) for my LMT M203.

I'm wanting to stay under $1,000 for a complete upper including the OPS INC mount cost so that really means the $700~$850 range. I don't see abusive firing schedules but, I hope to take some training classes in the future and I will see occasional rapid fire if I'm banging feral piglets or aggressive dogs which come in packs of as many 12~14. Coyotes are a different situation entirely and generally are a onesy-twosy situation as small packs are generally only heard on my property not seen. This upper will 'live' in an open side-by-side UTV rack, tractor and, similar environments with the suppressor being appropriately stored separately most of the time if I'm not actively prepping ahead of time to shoot something (i.e. surprised by dogs means ear muffs and aggravating a PTSD neighbor so I don't get mauled which nearly happened once this past year with two dogs and the third I caught late circling in from behind ).

With the expected slowdown affecting everything from panic buying at gun stores and hoarding toilet paper, I'm not opposed to supporting a qualified small shop one or two-man/woman operation that can build said upper within said cost constraints sort of like ordering take-out from a favorite restaurant so they don't permanently close.
    Last edited by Sid Post; 03-22-20 at 23:26.

Feedback Score
    I can tell you straight up that any crane spec 18" barrel is going to be overgassed with a can. You may want to talk to Monty about something more specialized for what youre looking for.
    "your AR is shit, change my mind" - Will Larson

I make work horses, not show ponies.

Feedback Score
    The White Oak SPR upper would be a solid choice. Keep in mind at the $690 price that Includes a bcg making it a great deal for what you get.

Centurion is always a good choice

If you want chrome lined i and a good barrel profile building with a Criterion chrome lined barrel would be one of the better options for your mission IMO

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)
    I just ordered my second BCM 16" KD4 upper with M-LOK rail. Highly recommended if you're looking for a 16" REECE type made for 77gr pills.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Check out Midwest Industries. I've used their 11.5" completed upper for my AR pistol and also bought one of their complete rifles. Really well built and I haven't had a single issue.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve-0- View Post
    I can tell you straight up that any crane spec 18" barrel is going to be overgassed with a can. You may want to talk to Monty about something more specialized for what youre looking for.
    Thanks! For a military rifle, I see overgassing to a certain degree being desired for reliability in harsh environments. I have read some mixed things on WOA being over-gassed generally with cans but, some of them really hang onto the gas and then exhale.

In my case, an Omega and Specwar on a 300BO bolt action and AR-15 give totally different results. On the bolt gun, Specwar for the win while on the AR-15 Omega all the way. Gas capture on both is enough different to be noticable.

I would be bummed to buy an upper and then get smoked out!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by everready73 View Post
    The White Oak SPR upper would be a solid choice. Keep in mind at the $690 price that Includes a bcg making it a great deal for what you get.

Centurion is always a good choice

If you want chrome lined i and a good barrel profile building with a Criterion chrome lined barrel would be one of the better options for your mission IMO
    Yes, in terms of 'value', WOA is a solid choice IMHO. Also, thanks for pointing out the Criterion chrome lined barrels. I was totally unaware of them.

Feedback Score
    [QUOTE=n517rv;2826027]I just ordered my second BCM 16" KD4 upper with M-LOK rail. Highly recommended if you're looking for a 16" REECE type made for 77gr pills.

Interesting. I was just going to start a thread asking about this upper.

Chees, Steve

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sid Post View Post
    I'm a serious fan of KAC rifles and absolutely love my LPR but, I need something that won't hit my wallet as hard this time while still being a professional, duty or, serious use capable upper. Or put another way, I don't want a mass produced commercial upper built to a low price point while protecting a high profit margin thanks to a "good social media campaign"!

With the expected slowdown affecting everything from panic buying at gun stores and hoarding toilet paper, I'm not opposed to supporting a qualified small shop one or two-man/woman operation that can build said upper within said cost constraints sort of like ordering take-out from a favorite restaurant so they don't permanently close.
    I'd give Montey LeClair a call at Centurion Arms. He has the background and knowledge to give you exactly what you are looking for.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kyjd75 View Post
    I'd give Montey LeClair a call at Centurion Arms. He has the background and knowledge to give you exactly what you are looking for.
    The above sums it up well.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast