Thread: 6mm ARC

Feedback Score

6mm ARC

It looks like Hornady is going to introduce a " 6mm ARC" Based on a Grendel case but apx .030" shorter It will have new brass or you could trim Grendel brass down. It is pretty much a 6mm AR, 243LBC, 6mm Predator. They say a 108 at 2700fps but they didn't say how long of a barrel it takes to make that 2700.

ETA- I can get apx 2750 out of a 20" with warm handloads and my 6mm Predator. The 6mm ARC may have 1/2-3/4gr less capacity and they may not load as hot so that 2700 figure could be out of a 24". Either way the 6mms I sell are my most popular wildcats.

https://saami.org/wp-content/uploads...troduction.pdf
    Last edited by constructor; 03-23-20 at 12:20.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    I have some very limited experience with the 6ARC, but it seems pretty cool.
    I don't think that it's going to get very far with the intended market (military/gov) due to the current trajectory with the Army Next Gen 6.8 stuff, but if it gets produced in high volume by a few ammo manufacturers it might get some hold in the commercial market. Don't know how much it will grab back from the 6.8 SPC and 6.5 Grendel crowd, but we'll see.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    . Don't know how much it will grab back from the 6.8 SPC and 6.5 Grendel crowd, but we'll see.
    The abundance of wildcats based off of those, 6PPC, .223 and the fairly agreed upon sentiments that "Grendel would be better as a 6mm", ".224 Valk should have been 6mm" that at least the commercial market is hungry for a decent, standardized 6mm option for the small-frame AR. Hagar, FatRat, Turbo, 6mmAR, etc. Probably one of the few things people might actually agree on is that's probably the sweet spot.

Rumor is that this is Hornady's doing. If anybody has had commercial success in new ammo roll-outs, they're the one to do it. No doubt they deserve significant credit in getting 6.5CM ammo out and keeping it in the market. Even with the marginal benefits, the 6.5 PRC is still being talked about...300 PRC interest seems strong as well. Again, this is assuming I'm correct and Hornady does their full-court press intro.

All that said, there will still be questions about reliable mags and bolt face issues as with other 220 Russian bolt faces for AR15 bolts.

Given how hard some have wanted the 224 Valk to work, people want something a little bit more.
    Last edited by pointblank4445; 03-23-20 at 11:46.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pointblank4445 View Post
    The abundance of wildcats based off of those, 6PPC, .223 and the fairly agreed upon sentiments that "Grendel would be better as a 6mm", ".224 Valk should have been 6mm" that at least the commercial market is hungry for a decent, standardized 6mm option for the small-frame AR. Hagar, FatRat, Turbo, 6mmAR, etc. Probably one of the few things people might actually agree on is that's probably the sweet spot.

Rumor is that this is Hornady's doing. If anybody has had commercial success in new ammo roll-outs, they're the one to do it. No doubt they deserve significant credit in getting 6.5CM ammo out and keeping it in the market. Even with the marginal benefits, the 6.5 PRC is still being talked about...300 PRC interest seems strong as well. Again, this is assuming I'm correct and Hornady does their full-court press intro.

All that said, there will still be questions about reliable mags and bolt face issues as with other 220 Russian bolt faces for AR15 bolts.

Given how hard some have wanted the 224 Valk to work, people want something a little bit more.
    Agree.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I don't think that it's going to get very far with the intended market (military/gov) due to the current trajectory with the Army Next Gen 6.8 stuff, but if it gets produced in high volume by a few ammo manufacturers it might get some hold in the commercial market. Don't know how much it will grab back from the 6.8 SPC and 6.5 Grendel crowd, but we'll see.
    I seem to remember a certain 6x35 gun that I might be willing to order as a semi-auto SBR, as long as ammo is available....

If only such a thing existed on the commercial market....

Maybe you have some colleagues that would like to capitalize on that desire?
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    I seem to remember a certain 6x35 gun that I might be willing to order as a semi-auto SBR, as long as ammo is available....

If only such a thing existed on the commercial market....

Maybe you have some colleagues that would like to capitalize on that desire?
    Can you shoot 105 or 108 gr bullets out of it? Seems like I remember an article about it several years ago 60-65gr bullet around 2500fps.

On a side note this 6mm ARC could hurt the 6.5 Grendel at least for those shooting long range targets and varmints/yotes.
    The guys that have the loads dialed in with the Valkyrie shooting 80gr ELDs at 3000fps may be close to the ARC. We'll just have to wait and see about final accurate velocities and how long the brass lasts.
    Last edited by constructor; 03-23-20 at 15:16.

Feedback Score
    What do you see two years later?

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Creek View Post
    What do you see two years later?
    A whole thread on it...
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...dy-Struck-Gold
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!