Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Marines dumping their tank units

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

Marines dumping their tank units

I guess tanks aren't really a thing in the Pacific theatre?

"As part of Commandant of the Marine Corps Gen. David Berger’s plan to redesign the force to confront China and other peer adversaries by 2030, the Marines are axing all three of its tank battalions, and chucking out all law enforcement battalions and bridging companies, according to a news release from Marine Corps Combat Development Command.

The Corps is also cutting the number of grunt battalions from 24 to 21, artillery cannon batteries from 21 to five and amphibious vehicle companies from six to four, according to the release. Aviation is taking a hit too, the Marines plan to cut back on MV-22 Osprey, attack and heavy lift squadrons."

https://www.marinecorpstimes.com/new...g-grunt-units/

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I think the new plan is for the Marines to provide security for missile/drone bases. From what I can tell hunker down on an island, use drones to locate enemy ships and lob missiles at them.

“Infantry battalions will be smaller to support naval expeditionary warfare” and designed to support a fighting concept known as Expeditionary Advanced Base Operations — which will see Marines decentralized and distributed across the Pacific on Islands or floating barge bases.

The changes, expected to take place over the course of the next 10 years, were first reported by the Wall Street Journal.

As the Corp divests of legacy equipment and units, the Marines say they plan to invest in long-range precision fires, reconnaissance and unmanned systems."

" The Corps wants to double the number of unmanned squadrons and “austere lethal unmanned air and ground systems, enhancing our ability to sense and strike,” MCCDC said in the release.

“The Marine Corps is not optimized to meet the demands of the National Defense Strategy,” MCCDC said in the news release. “Our force design initiatives are designed to create and maintain a competitive edge against tireless and continuously changing peer adversaries.”

The Marines says it wants a “300 percent increase in rocket artillery capacity” with anti-ship missiles. The Corps is eyeing a remotely operated rocket artillery HIMARS launcher that uses the Joint Light Tactical Vehicle paired with the Naval Strike Missile to sink ships at sea."
    Last edited by mack7.62; 03-24-20 at 12:57.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Not just armor, they're also going to get rid of an entire infantry regiment, 8th Marines. As well as some tilt rotor capability. This is a big freaking deal.

Feedback Score
    9 (91%)
    The Marines have just made themselves irrelevant. With this change, all they are good for is ship’s detachments, embassy guards and base defense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    They are decimating the tube artillery. During the Iraq war 11th Marines 12 batteries shot so much 155 that we were dominating the supply chain. At one point something like 90% of the supply chain was 155 rounds and powder bags. We killed something like 60% of the targets between Kuwait and Baghdad. Not to mention that Marine arty has deployed almost as much if not more then the grunts lately to Iraq to provide fire support. I’m not sure what the end game is here but it seems like they are trying to go to a light infantry force.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pacific5th View Post
    They are decimating the tube artillery. During the Iraq war 11th Marines 12 batteries shot so much 155 that we were dominating the supply chain. At one point something like 90% of the supply chain was 155 rounds and powder bags. We killed something like 60% of the targets between Kuwait and Baghdad. Not to mention that Marine arty has deployed almost as much if not more then the grunts lately to Iraq to provide fire support. I’m not sure what the end game is here but it seems like they are trying to go to a light infantry force.
    Tube artillery not much good for shooting at ships 100 miles away which is their new job apparently.

The Marines says it wants a “300 percent increase in rocket artillery capacity” with anti-ship missiles. The Corps is eyeing a remotely operated rocket artillery HIMARS launcher that uses the Joint Light Tactical Vehicle paired with the Naval Strike Missile to sink ships at sea."
    Last edited by mack7.62; 03-24-20 at 16:29.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    I’m not sure how many Abrams the Marines even have. I was actually surprised they never looked into the tank cannon Stryker variant. It seems like a good fit for the Corp.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by just a scout View Post
    The Marines have just made themselves irrelevant. With this change, all they are good for is ship’s detachments, embassy guards and base defense.

I don't know about that. I feel like this is the typical BS of cutting things post-war and then finding themselves in a different situation for the next conflict, but as the wiseman once said "we'll see".
    I understand that they want a lighter faster force, and they even had a doctrine in place to do so as they were switching over to the tilt rotor. It was an emphasis on being America's 911 force, much like what Russia did in the Crimean Peninsula
    https://www.mccdc.marines.mil/Portal...-18-075025-083
    Dr. Carter G. Woodson, “History shows that it does not matter who is in power or what revolutionary forces take over the government, those who have not learned to do for themselves and have to depend solely on others never obtain any more rights or privileges in the end than they had in the beginning.”

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Well if there was one thing we learned from the last couple of decades of war...

We have too much Infantry and too many armored vehicles. Next thing you know they will be asking for
    un-armored Humvees...
    Last edited by Todd.K; 03-24-20 at 19:19.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by just a scout View Post

Congress will have the final say and they usually end up blocking any planned cuts anyways.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast