Thread: Geissele Automatics Super Precison MRO Mount Review

Feedback Score

Geissele Automatics Super Precison MRO Mount Review

While researching mounting options for a new MRO I was surprised at the lack of reviews for the Geissele Super precision red dot mounts. Just as for many others on this site Geissele's name carries with it a solid reputation. I would use any Geissele product on duty without question, and as such I was very interested in the Super Precision mount. The main "competitors" in this price class were the American Defense, and Larue QD mounts. I also looked at the scalar works LEAP mount however it was significantly more expensive than the Geissele.

I was able to find a great deal on primaryarms.com during one of their 12% off sales. Final price was $80 plus shipping. This was actually $5 cheaper than the ADM, and Larue mounts. The scalar works runs for $150 however they were not in stock during the time period I was shopping for mounts.

Right off the bat many will say that the Geissele shouldn't be compared to the ADM, Larue, etc.. as it is not a QD mount. Correct it is not. let's start by breaking down the basics for anyone who is not familiar with the Geissele Super Precision line of optic mounts. Geisslee Super Precision Mounts started with their magnified optic line. These mounts are considered to be some of the best for a magnified optic, and are in use by SOCOM. The red dot line follows the same principle of a nut and clamp style, this is not a QD mount. A 1/2'' wrench is needed to tighten to spec. Why not use a QD attachment? Strength, and return to zero. Per Geissele's website:

"this mount will attach your red dot to your weapon with 1,400 pounds of clamping force, and features 3 shear lugs for maximum rigidity and return to zero." Geissele also states in the product manual that when removed and reattached the optic will return to zero.

The mount is machined from a single block of 7075-T6 Aluminum and comes in either black, or Geissele's take on flat dark earth which they call DDC (desert dirt color). Needless to say strength, and durability will not be a question with this mount.

First Impressions:
    the mount came packaged in a plastic bag. Inside the bag was: mount, 4 3/32 hex screws, and instructions/manual. No allen key was included. I was glad to see the screws as nether PA, nor Geissele listed the screws as being included. The first thing I was struck by when I took the mount out of the bag was the weight. This sucker is heavy! In fact I literally said “whoa this is heavy.” I was also struck by the quality of the machining work. I mean if an ADM QD mount is the WASR-10 of mounts, then the G-mount is the SAM7-SF or Polyteych Legend. This thing is nice, weight, machining, finish, and stenciling are all top notch. You get what you pay for kind of applies here… but I'm sure I should say that since this mount was the cheapest of the 4 mounts I looked at. A nice detail that may get over looked is that Geissele engraved 1/3 on the bottom of the mount so you know which height mount you have.

Installation:
    Pretty straightforward here. Instructions were clear and concise if anyone actually reads them aside from me. You don't need a PhD in Astrophysics to install a red dot but nonetheless Geissele lays it all out in black and white. I applied a touch of blue locktite to each screw. Screws were then tightened just past hand tight to achieve Trijicons recommended 12lbs per in.

One small point of contention I have here. The screw holes on the G-mount are almost parallel with the bottom corner of the mount, almost…. The screw goes in just fine however there is not enough room to insert the long end of the allen key and clear the corner. Once using the short end of the wrench I was able to fit it in with minimal effort. Not an issue but I thought it was worth mentioning. Once the mount and optic were mated up the unit was placed onto of a new Aero Precision M4E1 pistol. I placed the mount where I wanted it to test eye relief and spun the nut a few times just until I felt some slight resistance. To my surprise the unit was rock solid atop the receiver and couldn't be moved at all no matter how hard a tried. Not surprising considering the design of the mount, but as one used to QD mounts I am accustomed to a bit of adjustment to find that sweet spot. Once I set eye relief I used a 1/2 wrench to tighten a quarter turn past hand tight to get the spec if 72lbs per in.

Final Thoughts:
    This review was far from exhaustive but I wanted to throw out my opinion for anyone looking at one of these mounts. I think this mount is a fantastic value for being sub $100. I plan on treating this mount and optic like dog poop for a while to see how it holds up but I don't think there is any question as to what the results will be. The mounting system is as KISS simple as it gets and its a proven mounting system. I’d encourage anyone looking at one of these to give it a shot. I know I get hung up on the “its gotta be QD” mindset but when I really think about it my optic gets bumped, thrown, knocked over, heated, cooled..etc on a daily bases but not usually shot.
    2rifles.jpgGSP4.jpgGSP3.jpgGSP2.jpg

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Nice review. I own three (3) MROs and have them all mounted on various rifles using the Geissele mount. As stated, the quality of this mount is outstanding. Very rugged and strong. I like the secure mount that you get using the 1/2" clamp and a wrench. I think Geissele makes a similar mount for the Aimpoint T series red dot sights, and I would assume it offers the same high quality features. Geissele has taken some heat lately for some of its more recent products but there is no doubt that their mounts are the equal of anyone's, and better than most.
    Last edited by kyjd75; 03-25-20 at 07:21.

Feedback Score
    It is a bomb proof mount for the MRO. Really like the quality of mine.