Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021

Thread: 77gr Nosler CC load?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    This old can from 2014!

"What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    This old can from 2014!

Score! Hopefully full of match ammo that's ready to go!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    This old can from 2014!

The good old days of 2014?

Back when 77CC overruns were 13c a piece delivered?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by opngrnd View Post
    Score! Hopefully full of match ammo that's ready to go!
    Long shot up. Just saw the empty can and realized how many years have passed.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    Made it to the range today an had some decent results with Nosler blems and the new American Bullet Company from Creedmoor Sports, (AKA Sierra 77 TMK) I figured I would throw them over here 1 as a comparison for those interested, and 2, I'm lazy and wanted to put everything in one post. I had fully cleaned the bore this last week so we started with a fresh/clean/cold bore, I sent 3 rds down range to foul it and let it set for 20 min and I shot my M1, LOL. Here are my 1st 2 groups, one with Noslers & #2 with the American Bullet 77grn. I thought the 2nd group was a bit better. Now group 3 is interesting I feel, I bought 16lbs of Midwest Powder from American reloading as a backup, I had read a lot of good about it, and its somewhere in between 8208XBR & VV N540 with a lot of info really comparing it to 8208, so with that said even though it shot good I think I'll save the Midwest powder, burn up my 3 or 4 lbs of 8208 and then make the full switch. Maybe by then, the 8208 will be back around. Anyways group#3 Also just to show how much room is in the MDT mags, these are OAL @ 2.300, plenty more room in the mag but I need to get my chamber/bullet gauge out again and play with the OAL. This is the last group with the TMK 77 bullets and I thought it was decent, group 4 with the Noslers was good but not as good as this one so I left it out I did shoot one more with the Noslers for a total of 6 groups of 5 and while it was good, I think the bullets from Creedmoor fly a little better out of my Tikka. I'll bring the crono next time and compare some velocities of the 8208 versus the Mid-West powder. After that I think I've settled in on the 77 TMKs or whatever the hell they are, LOL I like em that's for sure. And the really funny part of all this is I thought I was using the last of my Wolf SRP-Magnums from back in the day,, all these loads are with Tula SRP reg ! I have 10K of them, well minus a few,LOL so I'm pretty thrilled about that, I will sub in CCI standard & both Fed NM & Fed reg and see if there is a diff but these are looking hard to beat.

Last edited by m1a_scoutguy; 07-23-23 at 20:19.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Nice. That's all you can ask for.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    That's some nice shooting!

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    Thanks, guys, I am pretty happy with it myself. I ended up buying a Vortex Razor III 6x36 and wow what a scope, the rifle is amazing in its own right but I think the scope helps just a little. I wanted at least one Tier 1 scope before I die and this certainly fills the bill. I wanted a Nightforce but just didn't have the extra $$$ at the time. Anyways, I measured all the groups & there were 6 total with 5 shots each. The average of all 6 groups is 0.580 with the smallest @ 0.404 & the largest @ 0.769. I had the Crono out last week and will post some numbers below. Now that I have settled on the load with the new American Bullet 77grn TMK. I have a ton of the 77 Nosler's and will continue to shoot those but will concentrate on the 77 green tips & bring the Crono out for them next time, I have 500 but maybe I better grab another box while I can, LOL I have 3lbs of the 8208, thought I had more but that's OK the way the Midwest Powder shot I think after I use up the 8208 I'll switch over and 16lbs should get me to the day when 8208 is maybe available again, guess I won't hold my breath, LOL. The biggest surprise is the Tula SRP, I really thought I had used the Wolf but turns out it was the Tula, and the results are decent still. Maybe I'll load 10 with the old Wolf and see if there's a diff. Ha, Ha, the 8208 is from 2014 & I think the Tula is from 2013, they have been in the stash for a while! I will report more as the summer moves along, thanks for looking. Also, the SWP Crono results are from last week but I wanted to post them, I will also play with that on the side.

5 Shots Sierra 77 HPBT-2728-IMR 8208XBR
    5 Shots Nosler 77 HPBT-2726-IMR 8208XBR- both this and the above load are 22.6 grns
    5 shots of the Shooters World Precision-Nosler bullet-2705 (23.5 grns)
    5 shots SWP with Nosler's @ 24.4 @ 2791

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Good shooting @m1a_scoutguy!

I see a little bit of vertical in a couple of your groups. It may be velocity variation but it could also be inconsistencies in your rear bag or pressure on the stock. I get lazy sometimes and have that issue. There is still a lot there to be proud of.

What is the OAL that you are using? Seating depth changes may help with the vertical as well.

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MarshallDodge View Post
    Good shooting @m1a_scoutguy!

I see a little bit of vertical in a couple of your groups. It may be velocity variation but it could also be inconsistencies in your rear bag or pressure on the stock. I get lazy sometimes and have that issue. There is still a lot there to be proud of.

What is the OAL that you are using? Seating depth changes may help with the vertical as well.
    Thanks, MD for the kind words and thoughts, I will take them all into consideration. I'm thinking it's more ME and the rear bag, with that 36X scope I see every little movement and I am far from steady, or at least as steady as I would like to be. I use a bull bag in front and that's solid but my rear is a combo of the STR8LACED ULTRALIGHT REAR BAG from Tab Gear and one of their standard Rear Bags, I should probably address that combo! It's all the same brass & was new when I started and all are on the same cycle of reloads, I also hand-weigh every load so I feel pretty happy with my weights, right now my OAL is 2.300, I know I should & I will revisit my chamber/bullet gauge and get that really finalized, the mags can take a ton more stretch but the chamber is the tell-all so I will double check that again. For me at least I'm glad the American Bullets (TMKs) seem to shoot on par if not better than the Nosler's, I felt confident enough about them I bought another 600 & then just to torture myself I threw in a box of Berger 22 Cal 77 Gr OTM Tactical Bullets to try! I feel I am dam close to where I want to be & again, I thank you for the tips, will keep updating as I go.

Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021