Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: 77gr Nosler CC load?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Intersting on the 75 RMRs. I thought I was just having an off day on loads, and I don't love bullets that have to be super dialed in. I think we'll just load those for short range steel. We have massively more of RMRs 69s on hand, so that's good.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    I have had a different experience with the 75 RMR bullets. 2 rifles will print sub moa groups with different powder and primers while my finicky rifle will group them into 1.5 inch at 100 yards.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by blacktail 8541 View Post
    I have had a different experience with the 75 RMR bullets. 2 rifles will print sub moa groups with different powder and primers while my finicky rifle will group them into 1.5 inch at 100 yards.
    Yeah. If I remember right, we were just outside of MOA... maybe 1.5 moa. Not thrilling or horrifying.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)
    I shot my KAC 18" LPR Mod 2 upper in a local match this past weekend with my Nosler 77gr HPBT CC, 23.8gr AA2230-C, and CCI450. I also coated the projectiles in HbN and I think it helped my SD's from the last group I tested before the match, it was a 7SD but only 5 shots.

Anyways the match format is all* 12" diamond plates from 300y to 1000y. You start prone with 10 rounds in the mag, no time limit but don't take all fcking day bud. Start at 300y, if you get an impact you advance to 400y, and so on. If you miss, you keep trying at that distance before moving on or until your 10 rounds are up. If you go 1-for-1 then you should have three chances at 1000y. We do this three times (30 shots). The points are tallied by your impacts at whatever distance, 300y = 3 points, 400y = 4 points, 500y = 5 points etc. *Also, as an option at 400y, 500y, 600y, and 700y, 1-MOA targets are under the 12" diamonds as an option to get double points at that distance. So if you have a perfect run with the regular 12" targets, you'll get 72 points. If you have a perfect run with the bonus targets, it would be 94 points.

Sounds complicated but really simple and gets all types of shooters involved, from regular guys like me to Precision Rifle World Cup champion and current reigning Precision Rifle Series champion, to people who've never shot past 200y with their grandad's deer rifle.

With my LPR I made it to 900y on the 12" diamonds for round 1 but didn't impact it out of three tries. They looked like mortars dropping in lol. Then 800y for both rounds 2 and 3. I ended up 6th with my LPR and 2nd with my 6.5CM bolt gun. I'm the only one that ever shoots two guns and I was the only AR this time, and most times actually.

The morning started out at 25* and I ended up having to drop my FPS 30 halfway through the first round. I was impacting low on the target and missed low at 600y so I quickly made an adjustment in my Kestrel and was right on the rest of the day. I'll be going to Raton for the Sporting Rifle Match next weekend and I'll shake out the FPS issue. It also could have been the hbn coating the barrel and dropping the fps some too. I'll should have it figured out after I go test more this weekend.
    http://www.youtube.com/wormydog1724

Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz
    This isn't "Ihuntcoyotes.com.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wormydog1724 View Post
    Anyways the match format is all* 12" diamond plates from 300y to 1000y. You start prone with 10 rounds in the mag, no time limit but don't take all fcking day bud. Start at 300y, if you get an impact you advance to 400y, and so on. If you miss, you keep trying at that distance before moving on or until your 10 rounds are up.
    That sound fun. We sort of do a similar thing all the time... Just that the target sizes aren't always 12". And with the bigger calibers, start a 500 so you're not wasting ammo on chip shots.

I'll do 12 rounds of 69gr in my ACOG AR every weekend, but starting at 125.

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)
    I'm going to use a lee factory crimp on 25 rounds, maybe increasing the crimp every 5 rounds, vs not crimped. I hope to have the results this weekend. I've read several posts and threads on M4C arguing both ways but I like to try things myself.

A 2 Gun precision rifle match in Raton is coming up this month and I hope to have my 5.56 ironed out before then. I shot my bolt gun at the Sporting Rifle Match in Raton the first Sunday in April and got third, my bolt gun is shooting so dang good right now I'm not changing anything with it.
    http://www.youtube.com/wormydog1724

Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz
    This isn't "Ihuntcoyotes.com.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wormydog1724 View Post
    I'm going to use a lee factory crimp on 25 rounds, maybe increasing the crimp every 5 rounds, vs not crimped. I hope to have the results this weekend. I've read several posts and threads on M4C arguing both ways but I like to try things myself.
    Yeah. You definitely have to see what works for you and your set up. I know Sinister, here, doesn't crimp. He probably has better ammo that I make, but my goal is bulk target ammo. So the crimp is a shortcut to annealing and getting everything just right.

There's a dogma echo chamber over on accurateshooter.com where guys who have NEVER crimped a round tell other guys NOT to crimp. WTF?? I regularly see some of those smart dumb asses post about things they have NEVER tried. You have to weed through the echo apes to find real info sometimes.
    Last edited by markm; 04-10-23 at 16:24.

Feedback Score
    Crimping degrades the accuracy/precision of match-grade handloads.

All that is necessary for trolls to flourish, is for good men to do nothing.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I had one test where I got the opposite results. Truly had the crimp (Lee Factory Crimp) as the only variable, and the non crimped shot significantly larger 100 yard group with 77gr at SAAMI velocity. (openned up about 1/2 moa)

I repeated the tests again recently, including varying degrees of taper crimp and factory crimp, and there appeared to be no significant difference in any of the loads.

At this point, I've not seen that the factory crimp hurts significantly, and just use it across the board for .223 only.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Molon View Post
    Crimping degrades the accuracy/precision of match-grade handloads.

It may decrease accuracy, while increasing reliability with often reused brass, without annealing.

You pick your poison...

Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast