Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: 77gr Nosler CC load?

Feedback Score
    Fudd here. I have mentioned before how I've measured AR chambering to definitely set shoulders back. I got curious back when experimenting with crimping. I measured pre and post chambering seating depth with crimped and uncrimped and factory crimped rounds. After attempting the math of shoulder setback and measured seating depth, it appeared that uncrimped only got longer while crimped got longer and shorter. I will admit my crimping efforts were hampered by having case length/chamfer not conducive to Lee factory crimping, but ppu 193s behaved similar to my crimped handloads. Might mean something to those who believe in seating depth consistency, but I might have botched the whole experiment.... My uncrimped did shoot better than crimped, but again my crimps sukd.....

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BobinNC View Post
    It may decrease accuracy, while increasing reliability with often reused brass, without annealing.

You pick your poison...
    That's sorta my guess as to what my results were. I used to use the FCD to avoid trimming, but I run the Giraud now so it's an attempt at getting some improved consistency without adding a lot of labor.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    That's sorta my guess as to what my results were. I used to use the FCD to avoid trimming, but I run the Giraud now so it's an attempt at getting some improved consistency without adding a lot of labor.
    You may have mentioned this before, but is the theory that crimping masks inconsistency of unannealed brass?

Molon, was your test using virgin or annealed brass? How many times was it fired?

Mark, what was the statsof your brass when tested? Was it mixed brass?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    Mark, what was the statsof your brass when tested? Was it mixed brass?
    Sorted by headstamp, but not number of firings.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)
    Didn’t have time for my crimp tests.

Took the KAC LPR Mod 2 to the two day 2 rifle precision match in Raton this weekend with Nosler 77gr HPBT CC with a load of AA2230-C 23.8gr going 2750fps.

I placed 8th out of 38 shooters I scored 78/80 points with the AR. My bolt gun scored 45/80 points.

Targets on the AR were from 100y to 453y and bolt gun targets were from 315y to 909y. Winds and small targets in Coal Canyon were the issue with the bolt gun as my elevation was on both days. Better luck next time I hope.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wormydog1724 View Post
    Didn’t have time for my crimp tests.

Took the KAC LPR Mod 2 to the two day 2 rifle precision match in Raton this weekend with Nosler 77gr HPBT CC with a load of AA2230-C 23.8gr going 2750fps.

I placed 8th out of 38 shooters I scored 78/80 points with the AR. My bolt gun scored 45/80 points.

Targets on the AR were from 100y to 453y and bolt gun targets were from 315y to 909y. Winds and small targets in Coal Canyon were the issue with the bolt gun as my elevation was on both days. Better luck next time I hope.
    Man I would love to take a course like that.

PB

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    Man I would love to take a course like that.

PB
    It was a competition, all are welcome. It was posted on PractiScore in Raton, NM. There’s a Sporting Rifle Match there the first Sunday every month. I’m going to shoot my AR there more.

If you have Instagram, my username is wormydog1724 and you can see some vids of the match there.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wormydog1724 View Post
    It was a competition, all are welcome. It was posted on PractiScore in Raton, NM. There’s a Sporting Rifle Match there the first Sunday every month. I’m going to shoot my AR there more.

If you have Instagram, my username is wormydog1724 and you can see some vids of the match there.
    Thanks for sharing. I'm interested in seeing what these matches are like.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Shoot. We have the set up to host a friggin match already. All we need is the bureaucracy and aggravation of it all!

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)
    Has anybody used Shooters World Precision Rifle powder with 77gr? I've searched but not coming up with much info from across the internet. I picked up 8# from a match prize table since my quick google search said 'Varget alternative' and nobody else there seemed to know about it. I've since read several places where it can be seen as a Varget replacement, good or bad since Varget metered like sh*t from my Dillon 550b.

I downloaded their manual online and there's a large difference in 77gr data between .223 and 5.56. I'm not a velocity hog but going out to 900y I like to have all the velocity I can as long as the groups are still moa-ish at 300y.
    Just looking for a general starting point without wasting too much time and components chasing a load.

KAC LPR 18" (Krieger barrel, 5.56 chamber)
    Sierra 77gr SMK and/or Nosler 77gr HPBT
    mixed brass
    CCI450 and/or CCI41

Looking for 2700fps and 1-moa or better. The gun is capable of that and better with the right load. I'm damn near out of H322 so maybe this SWPR can be it's replacement IF i find a load, and it turns out to meter good enough from my Dillon.
    http://www.youtube.com/wormydog1724

Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz
    This isn't "Ihuntcoyotes.com.

Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast