Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: 77gr Nosler CC load?

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by IALoder View Post
    24.0-24.1 TAC or 23.2 8208XBR in a LC case and CCI#41 primers is my go to with 75/77's. Oddly enough, the TAC load is a bit more accurate and consistent with a medium crimp, no idea why. Both run ~2640 in my 16" spikes Chf(fn) barrel, and right about 2600 in my Rosco 16".
    Proper neck tension allows for a more complete and uniform powder burn.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Crimpmeisters:

I think I will take a batch of 77CC handloads from 2015 (reloader15), sort for headstamps, get a batch of maybe 40, and crimp half of them and compare.

Also-- does anyone crimp using torque on the handle instead of going to a position / stop? Seems like it would be better, accommodating neck wall thickness variations and trim length variations. Not my idea. But when I load these I load for the best accuracy I can get but using mixed brass. I know that's not "best accuracy", but I'm willing to have a little less accuracy for a lot more convenience / work flow.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ned Christiansen View Post
    Crimpmeisters:

I think I will take a batch of 77CC handloads from 2015 (reloader15), sort for headstamps, get a batch of maybe 40, and crimp half of them and compare.
    It blew me away when I did my test. But there's so many ways/dies to get to a loaded .223 round that result will certainly vary.

Also-- does anyone crimp using torque on the handle instead of going to a position / stop? Seems like it would be better, accommodating neck wall thickness variations and trim length variations. Not my idea. But when I load these I load for the best accuracy I can get but using mixed brass. I know that's not "best accuracy", but I'm willing to have a little less accuracy for a lot more convenience / work flow.
    For me, no. I just run them all the same full stroke as the last stage on my Dillon. I definitely like reloading by feel as much as possible, but that step would hurt productivity in my set up.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Crimpmeisters:

I don't actually crimp, I use Redding neck sizing bushing and make a complete press arm movement just as I do with the other reloading steps.

Feedback Score
    Crimpmeisters:

Nope, just set my Lee FCD and do a full stroke on every one. I'm using all LC brass though, so it's decently close on neck wall thickness. I was very surprised at the obvious change when I tried crimping them. So far the TAC loads are the only ones crimping has made a noticeable difference on, 8208XBR AR Comp, PP Varmint, and N140 I saw little to no change with crimping.

Feedback Score
    Double tap, sorry.
    Last edited by IALoder; 03-22-22 at 08:45.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by IALoder View Post
    Nope, just set my Lee FCD and do a full stroke on every one. I'm using all LC brass though, so it's decently close on neck wall thickness. I was very surprised at the obvious change when I tried crimping them. So far the TAC loads are the only ones crimping has made a noticeable difference on, 8208XBR AR Comp, PP Varmint, and N140 I saw little to no change with crimping.
    That's kind of interesting. Also.. I've never checked this closely, but I don't seem to see neck thickness variances like you do with 7.62/.308. Most .223 brass is fairly close in weight/capacity. And the variances on odd brass usually are in the case web. (FC thin web, PMP thick, etc.)
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    That's kind of interesting. Also.. I've never checked this closely, but I don't seem to see neck thickness variances like you do with 7.62/.308. Most .223 brass is fairly close in weight/capacity. And the variances on odd brass usually are in the case web. (FC thin web, PMP thick, etc.)
    With N140 and 8208XBR crimping actually made them shoot worse iirc. I believe you're right on the .223 neck thickness variance as well, when putting a light crimp on my blaster loads in mixed brass, they all have a pretty consistent feel on the handle.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I only tried my test with H322. Maybe I'll give XBR a shot one of these days to see if it's different.

I would have fallen victim to the no crimp dogma if it weren't for my press being set up to load FMJ and OTMs. I wasn't going to pull my LEE FCD out each time I loaded Sierras, so it stayed. Then one day I loaded a test batch to see how much harm the crimp was doing and the non-crimp shot horrible.

I know Sinister, I think, does a .223 process that's nearly the opposite of mine. He doesn't crimp, and gets great ammo. So it seem like the results depend on the process as a whole more than one single facet.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    It is interesting to see what works for different people. I've become a big fan of using a mandrel to set neck tension and apply a slight crimp using a Dillon crimp die in the last station.

Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast