Thread: It may be a dumb idea, but I can't help myself.

Feedback Score

It may be a dumb idea, but I can't help myself.

I've been on the hunt for a synthetic stock rifle to use for whitetail hunting, but also just for fun. I have several really nice walnut stock hunting rifles but I'd like to have a purely utilitarian rifle that I can use and not feel bad about putting scratches, dings, and dents on. It seems kind of silly, but for some reason I want to get one of the Remington 700 SPS Tac 308 rifles with the 16.5" barrel and put it in a Magpul Hunter stock. I'm not looking for a long range platform. Hunting scenarios would be well under 200 yards and range opportunities would be 300 yards max. For whatever reason, I just think the super short barrel looks pretty cool in the Magpul stock.

My other option was a Kimber Hunter synthetic rifle for about the same money as the Rem 700 and Magpul stock. I know the Rem setup would be a lot heavier, but I don't any hiking when I hunt. I ride a four wheeler a short distance from my stand and walk in the rest of the way on nice open trails. So weight would not be a concern for me in terms of packing. And all of my tree stands have a shooting rail, so I would have a fairly decent rest to use when shooting from the stand.

So, how dumb is the Rem 700 setup and would I be better off to just go with the lighter, more traditional Kimber Hunter setup?

Feedback Score
    The only issue I see is that Remington can be hit or miss quality wise. Then again, I’ve heard of guys having some finicky Kimber rifles as well.

Personally, if I was going to get the Remington and wanted a synthetic stock I’d go with the KRG Bravo. I have the Magpul stock and it’s fine but I am not blown away by it and wouldn’t order it again with the Bravo being an option.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    You could save a little money and pick up a Ruger Compact American Rifle in 308 to throw a Magpul stock on. It's got an eighteen inch barrel, but it only weighs 6 lbs from the factory and you could really beat on it guilt free https://www.ruger.com/products/ameri...eets/6907.html.

I also like your idea of a 308 with a short, fat, and stiff barrel. It will be a little loud...