Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Red Dot choices

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

Red Dot choices

I have owned and used most of the Aimpoint red dots for a number of years now and like most here, am partial to the T2 on the AR platform. I purchased a Sig Sauer Romeo 5 for use on an inexpensive PCC (Ruger PC9) a while back and was impressed with it especially given the cost differential. My question is can anyone tell me how two seemingly similar products can have such a wide cost differential.

The reason for my question is that my son just purchased a S&W M&P Sport 2 and i as a good dad provided the Vickers sling, Colt side swivel and extra Magpul mags. He wants an Aimpoint because i have one but is it really that much better than a $140.00 Romeo 5?
    NRA Life Member and Certified Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Admitted New York State Bar 1994

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I feel like there was recently a thread of Sig Romeos dying, I think one poster reported that his department had exchanged a magnitude of them due to failures.

I only trust Aimpoint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I would have no issue running a Romeo... even for home defense. But if I were fighting in the military, I'd spare no expense on my sight choice.

I have no doubt that there's a durability and electronics quality issue between an aimpoint, and a chinese RDS.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I have a Romeo 5 on my 9MM AR-SBR. Its been fine, but it's just a range toy.

Everything else has Aimpoint.

Feedback Score
    Aimpoints are probably (arguably) the best quality, but if on a budget one has to consider the intended use for the rifle. I have owned Aimpoints, Holosun, DI Optical, Vortex, and a few others that were ok. The best (as far a durability) were the Aimpoint, DI Optical (South Korean Military) and Holosun's. We allowed several LEO's to try their Vortex RDS to qualify in our patrol-rifle courses but none of them (six or 7) were able to complete the course, so we excluded them from our acceptable RDS's for duty. If you wonder why the price difference, it will probably come down to where they are produced, labor and components quality.

P.S We tested several of the Vortex rifle scopes (not RDS's) and they make some really nice scopes, just a little too fragile with their "RDS's.
    Last edited by popo22; 03-25-20 at 11:53.
    "A Wise Man Changes his Mind, but a Fool Never Does."

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    If cost is the issue, good, used Aimpoint Pros can be had for no more than ~$350 here and on other sites. My organization issues them en masse with no complaints. To that end, we also authorize T2’s (my preference as well) and Romeos, although I’ve never seen the latter issues.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by popo22 View Post
    ... We allowed several LEO's to try their Vortex RDS to qualify in our patrol-rifle courses but none of them (six or 7) were able to complete the course, so we excluded them from our acceptable RDS's for duty....
    Which RDS? The newer micro ones and/or the older AA ones?

Thanks!

Dennis.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by popo22 View Post
    Aimpoints are probably (arguably) the best quality, but if on a budget one has to consider the intended use for the rifle. I have owned Aimpoints, Holosun, DI Optical, Vortex, and a few others that were ok. The best (as far a durability) were the Aimpoint, DI Optical (South Korean Military) and Holosun's. We allowed several LEO's to try their Vortex RDS to qualify in our patrol-rifle courses but none of them (six or 7) were able to complete the course, so we excluded them from our acceptable RDS's for duty. If you wonder why the price difference, it will probably come down to where they are produced, labor and components quality.

P.S We tested several of the Vortex rifle scopes (not RDS's) and they make some really nice scopes, just a little too fragile with their "RDS's.
    I was curious which DI Optical sights you've experienced. Any thoughts good or bad? I was considering a DCL30 for either my AR or AUG.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RHINOWSO View Post
    I have a Romeo 5 on my 9MM AR-SBR. Its been fine, but it's just a range toy.

Everything else has Aimpoint.
    +1
    As RHINOWSO stated, Aimpoint (or Trijicon) for your personal self/home defense rifle and almost any of the other popular brands for range toys.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by delta6 View Post
    +1
    As RHINOWSO stated, Aimpoint (or Trijicon) for your personal self/home defense rifle and almost any of the other popular brands for range toys.
    Vortex Crossfire Micro is solid enough for home defense: it's no longer in the range toy category. I had Eotech fail on me, and two older Aimpoints: like them Vortex is evolving better stronger sights. I have two Aimpoints sitting in pieces in a box because Aimpoint will not warranty them: they are pathetic. But if you want the best go for Trijicon or Vortex HD Razer/UH-1. I don't like Aimpoint warranty or lack thereof and it's not American. I prefer Eotech ring dot holosight, and Eotech stands behind their products also. The truth hurts.

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast