Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Red Dot choices

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Double post..

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PLCedeno View Post
    I have owned and used most of the Aimpoint red dots for a number of years now and like most here, am partial to the T2 on the AR platform. I purchased a Sig Sauer Romeo 5 for use on an inexpensive PCC (Ruger PC9) a while back and was impressed with it especially given the cost differential. My question is can anyone tell me how two seemingly similar products can have such a wide cost differential.

The reason for my question is that my son just purchased a S&W M&P Sport 2 and i as a good dad provided the Vickers sling, Colt side swivel and extra Magpul mags. He wants an Aimpoint because i have one but is it really that much better than a $140.00 Romeo 5?
    The simple answer to your question is that the Sig is made in China. It’s cheap for the same reason everything that is made in China is cheap. They’ll probably work great until they don’t. I personally would not use a China made optic on a gun that could potentially see defensive use. I would use one on a gun that is strictly a toy but I don’t own any guns like that.

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    I would recommend he save up for an Aimpoint. I've never had an issue with one.

Feedback Score
    You can't go wrong with an Aimpoint PRO.
    Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not.-Ben Franklin

there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it’s worth fighting for.-Samwise Gamgee

Feedback Score
    Trijicon MRO hands down. Durable as can be and you can’t beat the price. I bought my last one for $338 new. PA has some great deals on them from
    Time to time. Other option would be a used T-1. You should be able to get a second hand one on the EE for around $500

Feedback Score
    I’m done buying Chinese optics, just on principle. I’d rather spend another bill and a half to get a known quality option and not send more money to the CCP.

My Aimpoints have been great. PRO is an affordable option, as is the Trijicon MRO

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

I’ve got Aimpoint Ts, Trijicon, Nightforce...

However I do also have primary arms RDS 50k on a couple ARs. They run
    "Bones Heal, Chics Dig Scars, Pain Goes Away"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The way I look at it, if you are going to have a weapon for a real-world situation, you want to have a really good quality optic. I have several RDSs that include a SIG ROMEO 5, HOLOSUN, PA, and VORTEX, but on my fighting ARs, I have Trijicons and Aimpoints. I would not have anything of less quality on them. For HD, a lesser quality RDS would be acceptable as long as it is of decent quality. For a dedicated range gun, I would still have a decent quality optic. I do not like having to replace cheap junk, so I buy what I know will be of good quality and fitting for the purpose of the weapon. When it comes to foreign-made optics, you have to do you homework and understand exactly what it is you are looking to buy. My favorite RDS of late is the MRO. I really like it. I have a few of these.
    Last edited by Renegade04; 03-26-20 at 10:08.
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    I have three Primary Arms red dots. I’ve always thought I’d replace them with Aimpoints if they broke or proved unreliable. Oldest one is 10 years old now and all going strong.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I have a couple of the chinese knockoff Aimpoint Micros from Primary Arms and Holosun. They're on my kids M&P 1522 and a .22LR MP5 that we have. They work fine for those but I just don't believe the durability is there.

When you can get a used Comp M2 for $200 or a used PRO for $300, it's hard for me to say a $120 chinese red dot is a good choice for a person's only rifle.

Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast