Page 8 of 30 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Red Dot choices

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MikhailBarracuda91 View Post
    My Sig Romeo 4T says made in Japan underneath the mount. It was assembled in the USA

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    I have been all Trijicon for red dots (MRO) and scopes (accupoint, accupower) until recently. I found a couple of Sig Romeo 4T red dot sights on sale at a price comparable to an MRO. Needing some additional sights for some new uppers, I decided to go ahead and buy them. These are excellent sights. And, as pointed out above, components (glass probably) made in Japan and assembled in USA. Uncle Sam has approved them for Federal authorities to purchase and use. If someone truly wants to avoid foreign optics, then Trijicon is the obvious answer, as is Leupold if you buy their high end products. Both companies make great stuff, as does Sig, mostly in New Hampshire.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aetius View Post
    How much should Aimpoint or Trijicon charge for their sights? How would you go about setting the price?
    They are maximizing their profit. The companies that make Chinese optics are maximizing theirs.
    One is using free market labor and bearing the cost of innovation, the other is using questionable labor sources, other’s R&D, and spotty QC.
    As I said, it’s nearly impossible to avoid Chinese made goods entirely. When you have the choice on an luxury item, choose the free world.
    Like I mentioned in a previous post, sure, they are maximizing their profit and that is capitalism, but on the flip side, so is losing business to cheaper options if you are charging the customer too much and relying on the "I don't buy Chinese crap" crowd to do it. Labor and R&D does not justify a +$700 price on a 13 year old design. Spotty QC is the fault of the manufacturer who sets the QC rules and enforces them. Companies like PA, Holosun, Vortex,etc, have set the QC standards higher and enforce them pretty effectively.

What I choose is to pay a fair price for a quality product. I will not blindly brand buy no matter where it is made. That actually stifles innovation and in the end will hurt the company you are supporting because they will ride that false "wave of support" until that wave diminishes and due to capitalism it always does.
    Last edited by Adrenaline_6; 04-06-20 at 07:01.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrenaline_6 View Post
    Like I mentioned in a previous post, sure, they are maximizing their profit and that is capitalism, but on the flip side, so is losing business to cheaper options if you are charging the customer too much and relying on the "I don't buy Chinese crap" crowd to do it.

Or maybe they are using certified materials sourced from 1st world countries, paying their labor 1st world wages, and use high dollar CNC equipment and testing

Difference between Aimpoint and Chinese knock off:

1. Aimpoint made by the skilled tradesman Johann in Sweden on state of the art equipment with a professional quality system.

2. Chinese knock off made by a 7 year old boy Ding Pow in a sweatshop that has barely enough food to eat.

I bet the profit margin on the 3rd world optic is more than an Aimpoint.
    Last edited by scottryan; 04-06-20 at 08:45.
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Furthermore, I will not use any red dot that has push button illumination adjustments. They are too slow to adjust on the fly. You never know where you are at in the settings. Manual rotary dial is vastly superior.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by scottryan View Post
    Or maybe they are using certified materials sourced from 1st world countries, paying their labor 1st world wages, and use high dollar CNC equipment and testing

Difference between Aimpoint and Chinese knock off:

1. Aimpoint made by the skilled tradesman Johann in Sweden on state of the art equipment with a professional quality system.

2. Chinese knock off made by a 7 year old boy Ding Pow in a sweatshop that has barely enough food to eat.

I bet the profit margin on the 3rd world optic is more than an Aimpoint.
    If you think that is what PA, Holosun, Vortex are using, you are in absolute denial and part of the problem. Like I mentioned, I don;t have a problem with Aimpoint and SF, just their prices. Johann isn't worth that much and the state of the art equipment you mentioned is over 13 years old.

Furthermore, I will not use any red dot that has push button illumination adjustments. They are too slow to adjust on the fly. You never know where you are at in the settings. Manual rotary dial is vastly superior.
    OK...there are other choices as well.

https://www.primaryarms.com/primary-...-red-dot-sight

https://www.primaryarms.com/primary-...oa-dot-reticle

https://www.primaryarms.com/holosun-...gold-dot-sight

Feedback Score
    My brother is a department manager at our local Walmart. He said they got a shipment of electronics in, and inside the shipping packaging there was a handwritten note from a Chinese prisoner (the people who manufacturer our goods) it said his name and his living conditions and that he was wrongly convicted just so he could work for them. Also he asked for us to "please save him"

Really sad. But I'd imagine other Industries in China use prisoners for their workforce too.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrenaline_6 View Post
    If you think that is what PA, Holosun, Vortex are using, you are in absolute denial and part of the problem. Like I mentioned, I don;t have a problem with Aimpoint and SF, just their prices. Johann isn't worth that much and the state of the art equipment you mentioned is over 13 years old.
    No, the problem is the ignorant or cheap consumer demanding the lowest price possible. Then all these 3rd world options appear on the market.

I severely curtailed the amount of gun work I do for people because I'm tired of troubleshooting everyone's problems when they didn't do what I told them to the first time.

Example:

Colt introduced the Expanse line of rifles. It failed. Then, they adulterated the supply chain with these expanse parts that don't have proper identifying Colt markings. We will be dealing with the aftermath of that shit until the end of time. I get weekly emails about it.

I already know about all of that and I won't be buying any of them because I don't have time to chase around mechanical, electrical, and dimensional problems.
    Last edited by scottryan; 04-06-20 at 14:20.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    No, the problem is the ignorant or cheap consumer demanding the lowest price possible. Then all these 3rd world options appear on the market.

I severely curtailed the amount of gun work I do for people because I'm tired of troubleshooting everyone's problems when they didn't do what I told them to the first time.

Example:

Colt introduced the Expanse line of rifles. It failed. Then, they adulterated the supply chain with these expanse parts that don't have proper identifying Colt markings. We will be dealing with the aftermath of that shit until the end of time. I get weekly emails about it.

I already know about all of that and I won't be buying any of them because I don't have time to chase around mechanical, electrical, and dimensional problems.
    That is a different problem and that always existed and always will.

Alternative options is what makes capitalism work. If not, you have limited choices, and the companies who are the choice aren't pushed to innovate and when Production costs go down and the r&d has all been paid for, they never drop the price because they have it locked in. That is not capitalism and that is also a different problem.

You don't have to buy any of that stuff, but you mentioned dials are the way to go like Aimpoint was the only one who made them. They don't. Like others have mentioned, many who own them are not having any problems that you are mentioning whatsoever. The funny thing is, as more and more people move to alternate choices, you will eventually get to buy your over inflated price Aimpoints for cheaper. When that happens you can thank us later.

Feedback Score
    Longtime Aimpoint T2 fan/user... just bought my first Trijicon MRO and I really like it. I doubt I'll spend $780 for another new T2 again. The wider field of view is the winning point as it seems to allow me to acquire targets faster at close distances.
    Last edited by 9X19mm; 04-06-20 at 17:24.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 9X19mm View Post
    Longtime Aimpoint T2 fan/user... just bought my first Trijicon MRO and I really like it. I doubt I'll spend $780 for another new T2 again. The wider field of view is the winning point as it seems to allow me to acquire targets faster at close distances.
    MROs are nice.

Page 8 of 30 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast