Page 9 of 30 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Red Dot choices

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Still waiting on a review of the Trijicon MRO HD. Aimpoint pricepoint, so better be that much better than the standard MRO, which I like.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JediGuy View Post
    Still waiting on a review of the Trijicon MRO HD. Aimpoint pricepoint, so better be that much better than the standard MRO, which I like.
    So I might be in the market in the next few months, but what do you like in the HD that the standard MRO doesn't have?

Feedback Score
    64 (98%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ghideon View Post
    So I might be in the market in the next few months, but what do you like in the HD that the standard MRO doesn't have?
    From what I have seen it is mainly the Reticle. It has the 2MOA dot and the option to switch to an EOTECH style circle with dot.
    Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kwelz View Post
    From what I have seen it is mainly the Reticle. It has the 2MOA dot and the option to switch to an EOTECH style circle with dot.
    It is also supposed to be optimized for use with a new 3X magnifier that Trijicon is releasing along with the MRO HD, designed specifically for the MRO HD. This new magnifier is smaller and lighter and designed to work well with the new recticles in the HD model. It is, however, quite expensive.

Feedback Score
    I picked up two Vortex Crossfire Micros to test them. Beat the hell out of one in a few shoots last year and it held zero and did not fall of my rail. It’s as rugged as my magpul BUIS maybe more so. They are around $100 and come with the high Lower 1/3 mount which I have been using since my military days. They come with threadlocker. Torque it on, laser zero, hit the range, rock it around, and check rezero. It sits on a Colt and it’s fast. Glass is better than my Comp M3. I’m more of a Eotech fan, prefer the holosight versus red dot but it’s fast being as lightweight as it is.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RHINOWSO View Post
    I have a Romeo 5 on my 9MM AR-SBR. Its been fine, but it's just a range toy.

Everything else has Aimpoint.
    +1
    As RHINOWSO stated, Aimpoint (or Trijicon) for your personal self/home defense rifle and almost any of the other popular brands for range toys.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kyjd75 View Post
    I have three MROs, and have been very pleased with their performance. Recently I purchased a couple of Sig Romeo 4Ts for a pair of new rifles. They were on sale within the price range of a normal MRO, and well below the regular price of a 4T. My impressions so far are all favorable. They appear to be of very high quality, built like "tanks" and with a factory mount that compares well to the Geissele mount for the MROs. Very heavy duty. The 4Ts also have a solar panel which extends their battery life to "100,00" hours (claimed). The glass is very clear and they have a choice of four recticles, including the classic red dot, and also the red "circle of death" a la Eotech. I have to say I have been impressed with the Sig Romeo 4Ts. Granted, they are the top of the line in the Romeo lineup, and it shows. They are high quality sights and I have no problem relying on them. I am a fan.
    I have the Sig Romeo 4DR and so far have been impressed as well. Great glass, the reticle (I have it set on the Eotech style) is super sharp & bright, and so far it has held zero on top of an AK-47.

This was my first venture outside of US-made (or Swedish) red-dots. If I am being totally honest though....while this Romeo has performed fantastically so far....I still will never trust it as much as its Western counterparts. Just the way it is. And thus why its regulated to my "range toy" AKM I built last year just for fun.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    I have and have used many Holosun red dots and the Sig branded Romeo5 Holosun. Never a problem with any of them. For home defense they are more than adequate. If I were in the military I would choose a T1. Aside from that, a fool and his money....

For proof of Holosun pistol red dots https://youtu.be/JuOyq90oa-Q

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by popo22 View Post
    Aimpoints are probably (arguably) the best quality, but if on a budget one has to consider the intended use for the rifle. I have owned Aimpoints, Holosun, DI Optical, Vortex, and a few others that were ok. The best (as far a durability) were the Aimpoint, DI Optical (South Korean Military) and Holosun's. We allowed several LEO's to try their Vortex RDS to qualify in our patrol-rifle courses but none of them (six or 7) were able to complete the course, so we excluded them from our acceptable RDS's for duty. If you wonder why the price difference, it will probably come down to where they are produced, labor and components quality.

P.S We tested several of the Vortex rifle scopes (not RDS's) and they make some really nice scopes, just a little too fragile with their "RDS's.
    I was curious which DI Optical sights you've experienced. Any thoughts good or bad? I was considering a DCL30 for either my AR or AUG.

Feedback Score
    I have an H-1 on my HD rifle, a Romeo 5 on my range/3 Gun rifle, and two Romeo 4DRs. The Romeos all have a clearer dot to my astigmatism than the Aimpoint, the Holosun I put on a Glock is clearest yet. The Romeo 5 is on its original battery after 3 years, the first 4DR is on its first battery after a year. The second 4DR has spent 6 months on an AR pistol that serves as a travel/truck gun (probably shaken awoke more than #1) and its on its first battery.

I’d suggest shooting irons until PSA does one of their 10 magazines and a Romeo 5 deal. Run the Romeo 5 until he decides to save up for an Aimpoint or LPVO. He’s a young man, he needs to find his own shooting style.

Page 9 of 30 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast