Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Buffer and ejection pattern question

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Buffer and ejection pattern question

So I have read with great interest many posts here and elsewhere on buffer weight and ejection pattern. But the more I read the more confused I get so I'll ask my question here for my specific rifle configuration.

So here goes:
    My ejection pattern is a consistent 3:00 pattern.
    Rifle details:
    Colt 14.5 SOCOM barrel
    Colt BCG
    JP enterprises captured buffer/recoil unit. The standard one which they say is a carbine buffer ? I think I read that somewhere.

The rifle is, to this point, 100% reliable after one year of being built and used. Quality magazines and factory ammo, some steel case but very little. As originally built it had a Geissele super 42 spring and H2 buffer which was also 100% reliable. Upon installation of the JP unit I noticed slightly less recoil and disturbance to the front sight, overall just a little smoother operation. So I do like the JP unit.

So what do you all think? Is my rifle operating in optimal fashion? My goal is durability, reliability and accuracy. So far, so good..

Thanks

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    There's so much aftermarket nonsense out there it's overwhelming. I'd absolutely only ever run a Colt Spring and an H2 buffer or the A5 buffer system for a Colt... which will be gassed correctly.

Ejection pattern isn't the end all diagnostic tool. It can give you an idea of what the gun is doing. I like to get an idea of the sharpness of the recoil impulse as well.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thanks markm,
    Whenever I get to the range next I'll bring my other lower which is basically the same except with a Colt spring and H2 buffer. I can say without a doubt that the change [for the better] in the recoil characteristics of the JP unit vs. the super 42 spring and H2 was noticed by me when I took the first shots. The Colt spring and H2 will be my final comparison.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    We love to compare buffer systems. But it sucks cause you have to get off the gun, pop pins, swap lowers, reload, and then try to remember how the previous lower/buffer felt.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Buffers do not reduce free recoil. But they can change how recoil feels- softer, sharper and so on. Don't go changing buffers to affect ejection angle. Get your AR set up correctly and let the ejection angle take care of itself. However, if the AR starts consistently ejecting further forward than usual, or ejection angle is erratic, it may be time to replace the extractor spring.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Buffers do not reduce free recoil. But they can change how recoil feels- softer, sharper and so on. Don't go changing buffers to affect ejection angle. Get your AR set up correctly and let the ejection angle take care of itself. However, if the AR starts consistently ejecting further forward than usual, or ejection angle is erratic, it may be time to replace the extractor spring.
    Proper set up is the challenge here, especially with my limited knowledge of the AR. As an iron sight shooter I can say without a doubt that the JP unit showed less front sight disturbance that the Super 42 w/ H2 buffer. I will try the standard spring with H2 before I call it done. Once I have it set then I'm not going to bugger with it other than replacement parts/spares.

Thanks

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1986s4 View Post
    Proper set up is the challenge here, especially with my limited knowledge of the AR. As an iron sight shooter I can say without a doubt that the JP unit showed less front sight disturbance that the Super 42 w/ H2 buffer. I will try the standard spring with H2 before I call it done. Once I have it set then I'm not going to bugger with it other than replacement parts/spares.

Thanks
    What does a little jump have to do with anything when running iron sights??

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    What does a little jump have to do with anything when running iron sights??
    Same as it has to do with pistol shooting. The less the better when engaging multiple targets as quickly as possible. As I am new to rifle competition but with some experience in pistol competition I hesitate to say "flat shooting" as it is often referred to with pistols but it is a good description.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Sounds like your gun is fine. I'd leave it alone.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1986s4 View Post
    So I have read with great interest many posts here and elsewhere on buffer weight and ejection pattern. But the more I read the more confused I get so I'll ask my question here for my specific rifle configuration.

So here goes:
    My ejection pattern is a consistent 3:00 pattern.
    Rifle details:
    Colt 14.5 SOCOM barrel
    Colt BCG
    JP enterprises captured buffer/recoil unit. The standard one which they say is a carbine buffer ? I think I read that somewhere.

The rifle is, to this point, 100% reliable after one year of being built and used. Quality magazines and factory ammo, some steel case but very little. As originally built it had a Geissele super 42 spring and H2 buffer which was also 100% reliable. Upon installation of the JP unit I noticed slightly less recoil and disturbance to the front sight, overall just a little smoother operation. So I do like the JP unit.

So what do you all think? Is my rifle operating in optimal fashion? My goal is durability, reliability and accuracy. So far, so good..

Thanks
    For me, 3:00 PM is fine. I wouldn't dare touch it if it is running great.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast