Thread: AR is locking back but leaves a single round in the magazine. Ideas why?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

AR is locking back but leaves a single round in the magazine. Ideas why?

My AR is locking back as if it is empty, but it is leaving a single round in the mag. Mag's are two new GI. First I have seen this. I am going to range tomorrow and test with PMags Gen2 and Gen 3 and a few other manufacturers of GI mags to test if it is just those two mags. Thought I'd ask here if someone could nail down the cause before I get there. Thanks!
    "First gett'n shot, then gett'n married... baaaad habits"

"If you're gonna subscribe to hero worship, at least worship a real hero."
    M4Guru

Gal 2:20

Feedback Score
    Is this a new rifle? Did you build it or was it built at the factory?

I'm guessing here but maybe the magazine is inserting a little higher than it should be. It could be out of spec or the magazine catch needs one more rotation to tighten.

Try other magazines first but if you're still having the same problem use something to press the mag release so the tab sticks out enough on the other side of the receiver and rotate the tab one rotation clockwise.

Also look at the bolt catch, make sure its moving freely and it might need a drop of oil if it's biding up.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by omegajb; 04-18-20 at 05:06.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by M4Fundi View Post
    My AR is locking back as if it is empty, but it is leaving a single round in the mag. Mag's are two new GI. First I have seen this. I am going to range tomorrow and test with PMags Gen2 and Gen 3 and a few other manufacturers of GI mags to test if it is just those two mags. Thought I'd ask here if someone could nail down the cause before I get there. Thanks!
    Is this something that just started happening, or are these the first mags fired through the rifle?

You may be slightly out of spec in the lower, or, less likely IMO, the mag catch itself

On my rifles, with one round in the magazine in my rifles the follower is either touching the bolt-catch, or just a hair from touching.

So, I'd suggest shotgunning your rifle and using a magazine with one round to check if the follower is raising the bolt-catch.

So a
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    Is this something that just started happening, or are these the first mags fired through the rifle?

You may be slightly out of spec in the lower, or, less likely IMO, the mag catch itself

On my rifles, with one round in the magazine in my rifles the follower is either touching the bolt-catch, or just a hair from touching.

So, I'd suggest shotgunning your rifle and using a magazine with one round to check if the follower is raising the bolt-catch.

So a
    This ^^^. Although ideally with a dummy round. You know, for safety and all.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I agree with the others. Check the bolt catch engagement. Possibly a weak, broken or jammed up spring.
    “I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
    Thomas Jefferson