Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Buffer and ejection pattern question

Feedback Score
    If your goal is durability, reliability, and accuracy then stick with the mil spec. Nobody puts more rounds downrange than the military. It's the most proven setup. If you really don't want the hassle of changing a worn out recoil spring then buy the springco white recoil spring and use an H1 or H2 buffer.

I doubt your swimming with your rifle, but the springco springs are chrome silicone instead of the mil spec stainless. So in turn once the protective coating wears off of the springco one it could possibly rust in a maritime environment YMMV but I use a springco blue with an H2 and I have 100% reliability with my BCM mid length

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by MikhailBarracuda91; 03-27-20 at 16:01.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bullseye View Post
    For me, 3:00 PM is fine. I wouldn't dare touch it if it is running great.
    What if it was ejecting at 3 AM?

1986s4, you have a Colt 14.5" SOCOM barrel which has a .0625" gas port. That is the correct size. All you need to do is run the right buffer (H, H2, A5H2, Rifle) and spring. If running a carbine size buffer (H, H2) that means either a standard carbine spring or Sprinco blue. I don't think the braided G spring (pun intended. Puns should always be intended.) offers any advantage.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1986s4 View Post
    So I have read with great interest many posts here and elsewhere on buffer weight and ejection pattern. But the more I read the more confused I get so I'll ask my question here for my specific rifle configuration.

So here goes:
    My ejection pattern is a consistent 3:00 pattern.
    Rifle details:
    Colt 14.5 SOCOM barrel
    Colt BCG
    JP enterprises captured buffer/recoil unit. The standard one which they say is a carbine buffer ? I think I read that somewhere.

The rifle is, to this point, 100% reliable after one year of being built and used. Quality magazines and factory ammo, some steel case but very little. As originally built it had a Geissele super 42 spring and H2 buffer which was also 100% reliable. Upon installation of the JP unit I noticed slightly less recoil and disturbance to the front sight, overall just a little smoother operation. So I do like the JP unit.

So what do you all think? Is my rifle operating in optimal fashion? My goal is durability, reliability and accuracy. So far, so good..

Thanks
    I'm going to chime in on this and try a different tack.

The rifle works with the JP unit and compared to other other spring and buffer combos, it delivers what you find to be a smoother recoil impulse and faster sight picture acquisition for follow up shots.

Since the rifle as is runs to your expectations, I think what you need to do is define and focus on what you mean by durability, reliability, and accuracy.

To me, the only questions are what are the failure points of the JP unit? What happens if it becomes 'uncaptured' while in the rifle? Would you even know it while firing? Are you counting on this rifle as your primary HD weapon?

If I were pondering this decision, I'd rock on with the JP. But I have an SBR for HD that I only shoot to verify function and zero, then clean, lube and put away till next time. All my other rifles are toys.
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 03-28-20 at 15:24.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    I'm going to chime in on this and try a different tack.

The rifle works with the JP unit and compared to other other spring and buffer combos, it delivers what you find to be a smoother recoil impulse and faster sight picture acquisition for follow up shots.

Since the rifle as is runs to your expectations, I think what you need to do is define and focus on what you mean by durability, reliability, and accuracy.

To me, the only questions are what are the failure points of the JP unit? What happens if it becomes 'uncaptured' while in the rifle? Would you even know it while firing? Are you counting on this rifle as your primary HD weapon?

If I were pondering this decision, I'd rock on with the JP. But I have an SBR for HD that I only shoot to verify function and zero, then clean, lube and put away till next time. All my other rifles are toys.
    All good questions Inf 26,
    On one of the competitive forums I asked about the longevity of the JP unit. One response was that several years, thousands of rounds and outlasting one barrel had resulted in zero issues with the JP. Now that's just one response and I'm waiting for more. Competitive shooters shoot a lot, no full auto but I don't shoot full auto either.
    It looks like my range time is on hold for the time being so it may be a while before I get a chance to experiment with a standard carbine spring w/H2. At this rate I'll never get the chance to wear one out !!

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I don't understand how wearing out a buffer spring is an issue.

Colt or LMT are less than $10 and are replaceable in under a minute with no tools.

It may be hard to believe, but I have several Colt 6920s in use, one over a decade old, and coincidentally, they actually work with stock springs and H buffers.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Get an adjustable gas block or key and problem solved

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Is there a reason that LMT still uses Carbine buffers on their commercial rifles? My understanding is that the Hx buffers are more useful on heavier barrels for reducing bolt bounce and that pretty much every mfg just opens the gasport up to cycle everything and compensates with H2's.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Torquetard View Post
    Is there a reason that LMT still uses Carbine buffers on their commercial rifles? My understanding is that the Hx buffers are more useful on heavier barrels for reducing bolt bounce and that pretty much every mfg just opens the gasport up to cycle everything and compensates with H2's.
    Probably the same reason they use AR-15 semi-auto profile BCG's. It's cheaper.
    DK

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Torquetard View Post
    From what I was told a properly gassed gun should run mil-spec ammo just fine with H2 even H3, and steel cased ammo with H1. Mil M4A1 come with H2 now, all (or majority of) BCMs comes with H1.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Sounds like your setup is working. Are your cases being dinged up? (Dent in the shoulder of the bottle neck.) I'd be happy with 3 O'Clock ejection if no case damage is happening.
    “I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
    Thomas Jefferson

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast