Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How often do you prefer the lesser gun?

Feedback Score

How often do you prefer the lesser gun?

I've got a bunch of .22s: Lithgow, Anschutz, CZ, Henry, Wifama—you name it. For some reason, I can't give up my piece of crap Romanian 1969. I just take it to the range more often.

Similarly, I shoot my LMT MWS, LRB M14, and even HK 91 more than my decked-out SAN 751. I'm not trying to keep the SAN "nice". It's a gun, meant to be shot, and if it breaks, I can fix it or buy more guns.

When you reflect on your own behavior, do you find yourselves doing anything similarly "irrational"? In my case, it might be familiarity. I've shot the 1969 the most, therefore I like shooting the 1969 the most.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I did that. I used to run the hell out of an old Bushmaster 14.5 rattle can M4, even though I had nicer guns.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Guilty!

My 20 year old Bushmaster M16A2 clone gets fired a lot more than my new 6920.

I don't know why that is.

Feedback Score
    I have an IDF clone build that looks like warm garbage with a non-matching upper and lower finish. A1 no bump nodak receiver, 16” lightweight barrel, irons, CAR stock, A1 grip, etc.

However it’s a very nice shooter and super light. It’s much easier to toss it in the back seat and roll out vs trying to bag up one of the BCM or DDs. Also no batteries required. It’s probably my favorite to shoot.

It’s a tool like the nicer rifles but I know I’ll never be able to sell it for what I have in it.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I often use a Rock Island for range blasting instead of my Kimber Gold Match. Surprisingly, the Rock Island shoots pretty damn good for a 1911 that I paid 350.00 for.

Likewise my early 70's Wingmaster rarely leaves the safe. I really don't know why I have the barrel assortment for it that I do.
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 03-25-20 at 20:56.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Please keep it related to AR to this goes to general
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Been shooting a LMT/Centurion "M4ish style truck gun" a lot...way more than the "nicer" suppressed 11.5 (much to the chagrin of one of my shooting partners). Simple rifle, with a light and reflex sight. It's light, handy, and gets banged around quite a bit. It's a highly practical carbine, while the more expensive one is more tailored to a specific role.
    Last edited by nightchief; 03-26-20 at 09:28. Reason: engrish

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I don't keep many extra ARs or the like, so I can't really say I will prefer an older or lesser AR over the SCARs.

I will note, however, that I will cycle through and in some years shoot my mil-surps far more than the tactical stuff. Last couple of years I've probably put more rounds through my Enfields, Garands, and M1917s than through my SCARs or AR. That's swung back around, but it is interesting to notice.
    It's f*****g great, putting holes in people, all the time, and it just puts 'em down mate, they drop like sacks of s**t when they go down with this.
    --British veteran of the Ukraine War, discussing the FN SCAR H.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    I pretty much always grab my PSA SBR’d lower with a BCM Kino upper and cheap plastic handguard over the LMT MARS/Colt CCU. May change once the suppressor is cleared and I can attach to the BRT-built upper. Really looking forward to that.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I certainly take my BCM 16" midlength with FSB, plastic handguards, and Red Dot to the range more than more modern ARs with free float rails and magnified optics. Not sure if that qualifies as "lesser" though.

Andy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast