Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How often do you prefer the lesser gun?

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    Nope, I'm not a collector. My personal guns (Colt and Glock) are for killin' folks that need killin'. My spare guns belong to my kids (Colts) or my wife (Colt and Glock). Ya'll detecting a theme here?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaykayyy
    And to the guys whining about spending more on training, and relying less on the hardware, you just sound like your [sic] trying to make yourself feel superior.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    For range trips and a lot of day to day stuff I often preferentially grab an irons-only AR over my guns with optics and lights. I shoot irons often enough I’d be pretty comfortable using an irons-only gun (with a light) in an HD role, although since I do have two Aimpoint equipped ARs it’s pretty hard to justify going just irons for HD for any reason but “muh retro feels”.

This is what I’ve been messing around with a lot lately though.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    most of the time i grab the lesser windham or M&P sport to go work the land. They get thrown around way to much to take the higher end stuff. Thrown on the back of the wheela or thrown in the bed of the truck in a rush.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Only always. The stuff I figure out and optimize for myself suffers from brutal amounts of feature creep, and even throwing money at doing all those things, the end result is a phenomenal piece of hardware that can do a bunch of things I seldom do.

I take stuff I originally intended for my wife (simple, light, minimum feature set for 24 hour operatoins), and they shoot fantastically. Anymore, the only reason I like my pricier stuff is that they have cans.

Same problem with handguns - I'm 98% as good shooting mile cheap beater M&P 9mm Shields as I am my 1911's that are worth 10x that.
    Last edited by TehLlama; 03-26-20 at 13:04.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    I tend to shoot “drills”, competition, EOTW carbines a LOT more frequently than any of my “nicer” precision ARs, ELR Bolt guns or AR10, haven’t picked up a “game gun” SXS since I buried old Belle years back.

Those EOTW/drills guns have seen rough use and qualify as being close to beaters.
    That said, they always go BANG, and I have a high degree of familiarity and proficiency with them.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sry0fcr View Post
    Nope, I'm not a collector. My personal guns (Colt and Glock) are for killin' folks that need killin'. My spare guns belong to my kids (Colts) or my wife (Colt and Glock). Ya'll detecting a theme here?
    Pretty much this. Im not Gun Jesus that enjoys shooting all kinds of weird firearms no one would ever want to take into a fight.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I don't really have "lesser" guns anymore. I don't say that to sound snobby or elite, I just thinned my collection down to only rifles that meet my standards for a fighting rifle. I have different guns setup for different purposes. One of those guns is setup for the sole purpose of being a beater training rifle. It doesn't get cleaned much, once a year probably, but it gets a little lube prior to being ran. I don't pay attention to how long the batteries have been in the optic and light, and I don't keep an accurate round count on it anymore, I did when it was on it's first barrel then I got lazy. I have a spare battery compartment on my Comp M2 that houses a fresh one if the optic goes dead, and I keep a couple 123's in the buttstock if the light is dead. Despite the treatment, it runs like a top and I'd have no problem grabbing it and heading out the door if I had to.

My house gun only gets a few mags put through it a year, I keep it clean and lubed and I change the batteries in the optic and light on each of my daughter's birthdays, which are almost exactly 6 months apart. The 11.5" AR pistol with a Law Tactical folder that I toss in the truck with me when I go for a drive through the mountains and for travel gets treated the same way.

I tried doing the one-rifle-do-it-all thing a few times and it always leaves a lot to be desired in one area or another, so I've come to the conclusion that it's best for me to have a few good quality rifles that are setup for different purposes.

Feedback Score
    I have two 1911s and those are my only duplicate guns if you dont include the one lower that has two uppers. One upper just sits because I dont like it. I have a pro I keep on the mounted sionics upper, but have a pst 2-10 on a qd mount to change out depending if need be. My ar serves as truck gun, practice gun, hd gun, and everything else I would use it for. I tend to practice and carry the wc 1911 a lot more than the trp operator though. I guess I am either cheap or try to be realistic in what I need and as much as I love guns, dont feel the need for 10 ars, not that we could afford it. But, I am going to get an ar pistol to fit truck gun category and hd roles and put the scope back on the current rifle along with the atlas bipod.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_Point_Five_Six View Post
    I don't really have "lesser" guns anymore. I don't say that to sound snobby or elite, I just thinned my collection down to only rifles that meet my standards for a fighting rifle. I have different guns setup for different purposes. One of those guns is setup for the sole purpose of being a beater training rifle. It doesn't get cleaned much, once a year probably, but it gets a little lube prior to being ran. I don't pay attention to how long the batteries have been in the optic and light, and I don't keep an accurate round count on it anymore, I did when it was on it's first barrel then I got lazy. I have a spare battery compartment on my Comp M2 that houses a fresh one if the optic goes dead, and I keep a couple 123's in the buttstock if the light is dead. Despite the treatment, it runs like a top and I'd have no problem grabbing it and heading out the door if I had to.

My house gun only gets a few mags put through it a year, I keep it clean and lubed and I change the batteries in the optic and light on each of my daughter's birthdays, which are almost exactly 6 months apart. The 11.5" AR pistol with a Law Tactical folder that I toss in the truck with me when I go for a drive through the mountains and for travel gets treated the same way.

I tried doing the one-rifle-do-it-all thing a few times and it always leaves a lot to be desired in one area or another, so I've come to the conclusion that it's best for me to have a few good quality rifles that are setup for different purposes.
    This is pretty much where I fall also. I never had a big collection and the extras are gotten rid of pretty quickly for other or better stuff.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12