Thread: Stupid sling questions. QD mounts and strap management/set-up

Feedback Score

Stupid sling questions. QD mounts and strap management/set-up

Never really paid that much attention to rifle straps. Mainly do range fun and 3-gun type stuff, or proned out bolt gun. I was just going through the slings that I do have and their set ups looking to standardize a bit. A sling is to a rifle what a holster is to a pistol, as they say.

Two things that I had never really paid attention to:
    More esoteric I guess is how sling webbing goes through those simple [|] shaped hardware to create a permanent loop by going through twice. I notice that most slings seem to come with the 'return' of the loop being the top web. TO me that leaves what is left over as being kind of askance from the other web. You can have the return part of the loop on the underside, it takes a bit longer to do, but to me the tail end seems to be less fly away and wild. Am I imagining things? It definitely takes longer to set up and adjust, but it seems 'cleaner'?

The other thing is rotating vs non-rotating swivels. It is determined by the cup, not the QD push button part, right? Is there a preference one way or the other? It seems that if you are using a sling where you can go two point or single point (MS4), the ability to rotate might add some twist to the sling that might make it harder and less comfortable to use?

Thanks
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I used a standard Blue Force Vickers for years and I understand what you mean. There is a lot of plastic and doubled up webbing going on. I recently got a Blue Force Vickers with the sewn in QDs and it is much simpler/lighter/cleaner and there's only one adjustment in addition to the quick slider. They're $80, but if you figure a normal Vickers is $50 plus two $15 QDs you're breaking even.

The QD rotation is determined by the cup from what I understand. If you look closely you can see the non-concentric milling inside the non-QD cups. My DD came with them and I really prefer them because it keep the sling in place when it's just dangling and less swivel movement means less noise from the metal clanging around.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I like Magpul's MS1 sling with their QD's. I keep wanting to send it off to have the QD's sewn on so I can get rid of the two plastic sliders, but I've never got around to it.

As far as keeping it from twisting, it's built into the cups. And I learned this sling management trick somewhere. Keeps the sling from twisting, low profile, and the fire controls still accessible.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    It usually isn't that big of a deal to sew webbing, most are easy to penetrate with a needle. Just line everything up, decide on stitch spacing, mark those spaces on the webbing(or on masking tape), and have at it.

On webbing where the weave is so tight a needle effectively can't be crammed through it, preform the stitch holes with a small soldering iron top/wood burner/wire heated in a flame/etc.

How it looks depends on sewing skill or lack of, with mine leaning to the not pretty sure. This isn't a rappel seat, so unless you totally screw it up, the strength will be more than is necessary or likely even a good idea.

Feedback Score
    I have a way of the gun sling. It’s cheap, easy to use, no extra bulk and quiet. No hardware making noise or adding extra weight. And its quickly adjustable with one hand to change how you are carrying or using it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I was of a similar opinion on having sewn in hardware (like push buttons), but ultimately decided having a standard/basic sling with the option to change hardware and have the finer adjustments would be nice. So I stuck with triglides and thread-on PBs.

This is what I currently run on my go-to short gun. My others are set up similarly. I left some slack in the rear and a little less up front, in case I need to add more length to go over other gear (say a plate carrier). That extra end that would be hanging loose is tucked back in over top and thru the triglide ( [|] < that guy). I did chop some extra webbing length off, just don't chop too short.

Note how much extra length is tucked away for a rainy day if needed, but not out loose and in the way. A little adjustment on both ends can go a long way.

Hope this helps some.
    Industry Disclosure
    Current: Blue Force Gear

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Any extra webbing gets cut off and the ends melted on all my slings.

I despise rotating QD sling attachments.

My go-to sling for almost all my rifles is the Ferro Concepts Slingster. The slide buckle on this sling however will scratch up your receiver if you mount it close to the beginning of your handguard. Luckily I don't care about scratches.

Feedback Score
    Just sewed up a new sling tonight ah la VTAC style. Getting good enough with the old PAFF I tried to art it up with a personalized "signature" (my initials)! This is the first time I've used a wider shoulder strap with a sewn transition to standard size webbing to work with the adjuster.

Sorry for the poor quality photos, lighting in my workshop here at the old house is dwindling as I've moved most of the add on lighting to the new house already.
    Last edited by Coyote bulldozer; 03-28-20 at 00:13.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Shooterman017 View Post
    I was of a similar opinion on having sewn in hardware (like push buttons), but ultimately decided having a standard/basic sling with the option to change hardware and have the finer adjustments would be nice. So I stuck with triglides and thread-on PBs.

This is what I currently run on my go-to short gun. My others are set up similarly. I left some slack in the rear and a little less up front, in case I need to add more length to go over other gear (say a plate carrier). That extra end that would be hanging loose is tucked back in over top and thru the triglide ( [|] < that guy). I did chop some extra webbing length off, just don't chop too short.

Note how much extra length is tucked away for a rainy day if needed, but not out loose and in the way. A little adjustment on both ends can go a long way.

Hope this helps some.
    That’s an elegant compromise on the strap issue. Keeps it out of the way and neater. Cutting and melting the end is interesting too.

Interesting to see that place is like brown owls in Midway have been out for the past week of cutie sling mounts and some other sleeve accessories. Maybe a lot of other people were bored and decided to swing up during the internment.

Thanks for all the insights guys.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    I ordered a Magpul MS1 with para clips to use on my nylon Briefcase. We’ll see who notices..

It's that simple.