Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spare Bolt

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Spare Bolt

A few weeks ago I picked up a bolt carrier w/o bolt for a decent price. A Colt unit and now I want to get a bolt to go with it. Since I haven't been shooting for a while and just doing home projects I have a couple of bucks burning a hole in my pocket so I was wondering what would be a good bolt to put in the carrier? Just get a BCM and be done with it or go for something a little more exotic ? JP, LMT, etc.. Nice to have a spare.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1986s4 View Post
    A few weeks ago I picked up a bolt carrier w/o bolt for a decent price. A Colt unit and now I want to get a bolt to go with it. Since I haven't been shooting for a while and just doing home projects I have a couple of bucks burning a hole in my pocket so I was wondering what would be a good bolt to put in the carrier? Just get a BCM and be done with it or go for something a little more exotic ? JP, LMT, etc.. Nice to have a spare.
    Unless you have a specific need, go with a known spec and quality.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The most recommended specifications are: 1) constructed of C-158 steel; 2) shot-peened; 3) HPT (high-pressure proof tested); 4) MPI (magnetic particle inspection); 5) Colt or equivalent extractor spring.

Obviously a Colt Bolt fits those specifications - a quick look revealed that $99.00 seems to be the lower end of pricing, the forum sponsor, G&R Tactical has them at that price.

BCM and Daniel Defense bolts run a little less and hit all the specifications.

If you want to shop Colt, google Colt Bolt Assemblies, for a general search use AR Bolt Assemblies. That saves a lot of sifting through websites.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    I feel like a Colt bolt carrier deserves a Colt bolt.

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...-prod4834.aspx

edit Did not read that 26Inf had a lower cost source. $99 is great for a known quantity. I tried doing the exotic bolt thing, but I went back to boring mil spec. I like knowing that it is easy to replace the bolt, spring, extractor, inserts etc.
    Last edited by R.O.U.S.; 03-26-20 at 12:41.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    BCM or Colt is GTG

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    BCM or Sionics. That linked Colt is too expensive compared to other known qualities, IMO

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnerblue View Post
    BCM or Sionics. That linked Colt is too expensive compared to other known qualities, IMO
    I didn't mention that because he has an empty BC, but I normaly buy Toolcraft C-158 BCG's for less than that.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thanks all. It would seem that boring old Colt/BCM is the way to go.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    You must also get the headspace gauge.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I got a brand new spare FN bolt if you are interested. Picked it up on a whim. I probably need to get rid of it before I assemble a whole rifle around it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast