Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Semi auto pocket pistols

Feedback Score

Semi auto pocket pistols

I’m a full size gun guy, I never buy the compact version of a gun, like a 1911 commander instead of a Gvt model, or G19 instead of a G17. It’s probably linked to my own size, 6’3 and 250 lbs, made in Germany.

However I did buy just a few pocket size pistols over the years

It started with the Walther PPK in 7.65 Browning, or .32 ACP. As I was hanging around the LGS back in 1992, I saw it in a cabinet. Mmh, the James Bond pistol I thought. The owner further triggered my curiosity by explaining it is a Zella-Mehlis model, so built before the end of WWII, in what then became East Germany under soviet domination (Walther transferred its activities in Ulm). It was built in 1939.

The second one in a Bulgarian made Makarov, built in 1987. The reason I bought it at a gun show was the price : I was amazed that one could buy a 9 mm semi auto steel pistol for $ 160 (9 mm Makarov). And it was the official sidearm of the Eastern bloc.

The Beretta 1934 (made in 1937) was found in an acquaintance’s grandpa attic. It’s a very well made gun, solid, heavy and reliable. It also has the open top slide like the 92 series. It’s in .380 ACP, which we call 9 mm short in Europe.

The last two I bought to fill the third line on my permit. In Switzerland you may put up to three guns on the same permit but those have to be bought the same day from the same seller. That leads to some compulsive (and sometimes cheap) purchases that would not have been done otherwise.

A Colt Mark IV series 80 GM .380 auto. I really like this little gun. Made in 1992

I tried those whitish grips, but was never convinced so I’ll revert to the original ones in Black.

The last one is a toy really, I would not even shoot a cat with it from fear to piss off the cat. A Beretta 950 B in .22 short. It’s a fun gun though, minuscule and light, and it’s been reliable so far. I also like the tilting barrel. And it was $ 80 at an auction, opening bid.

Feedback Score
    Very nice!

Love your PPK In the correct caliber.

You need a Beretta 418 if you want Bonds true love, however. 😎

Great deal on that Beretta 950!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    Very nice!

Love your PPK In the correct caliber.

You need a Beretta 418 if you want Bonds true love, however.

Great deal on that Beretta 950!
    Didn’t know that, I learned something today

https://jamesbond.fandom.com/wiki/Beretta_418

Feedback Score
    Some targets, I shot those at 15 meters, I try at 25 very occasionally but it is a stretch for those.

Except for the PPK, that group was shot at 25 meters, it’s a really accurate pistol for its size

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by OLIAR15 View Post
    Didn’t know that, I learned something today

https://jamesbond.fandom.com/wiki/Beretta_418
    Yea, man.

In the 12 Fleming books, I dont think Bond uses the PPK until about book 9. Then I think he uses it in or two more.

I'm reading through the series again and making notes about these things. 😁

There are several books in which he never draws a gun or one even mentioned.

But in the first 6 books or so, he thinks very highly of his Beretta 418 and shoots several guys who need shootin'.

When he's forced to give it up, he's given a PPK and a S&W Airweight and told to try them out. He brings and uses the .38 on his next mission, Dr. No. But it gets taken from him and so he uses the PPK after that.

Mind you he also uses .45's, .38's taken off bad guys, a Savage 99, a .30-30 with scope and suppressor, and a couple others I'm forgetting.

Fleming makes some mistakes, gun-wise, but wisely, does refer to the "new" AK47/AKM as a "submachine gun".

Anyway, most of the Fleming books are great.

Feedback Score
    Pretty cool how accurate the 950's are, huh?

I really enjoy mine. (6.35mm)

Your group looks like a typical 15m group from my 950's. At 25m my groups aren't pretty but they are scattered on the torso, at least.

What's also neat is there is little difference between slow-fire and rapid-fire groups.

I carry one as a back-up.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If you don't already own one and you are a Glock guy, the G42 is tough to beat in its category.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by D_M View Post
    If you don't already own one and you are a Glock guy, the G42 is tough to beat in its category.
    Agreed. I have one and large hands. With a Pearce mag extension I can get a good grip on it. For deep appendix carry or pocket carry it’s tough to beat.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by D_M View Post
    Nah.

He's investing in fine collectibles.

Completely the opposite of Glocks and S&W Sheilds and Ruger LCP's and other common work-a-day pistols.

That's a different thread.

Feedback Score
    Great collection.
    I've got the little Beretta in .25

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast