Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Current Production Lightweight 11.5 or 12.5 Barrels?

Feedback Score
    Another vote for the Hanson 11.3. My experience has been good. H2 buffer , zero issues.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by justin_247 View Post
    If you can find one of the older Colt 6933 uppers or barrels, that'd be your best bet. All the new 6933s have a .750" gas block journal, unlike the older versions which had a .625" journal.

Spikes markets an FN 11.5" LW barrel like the one linked below. If you look around, you can find them for less than $250. Not a bad piece.
    https://www.spikestactical.com/colle...htweight-11-5/
    https://gun.deals/search/apachesolr_search/sb51106-lw
    I used that Spike’s barrel for a 733 clone, bought it stripped and had a non-F FSB pinned. At the time it was the only game in town for an 11.5” pencil barrel with M4 ramps. I don’t know what the port size was but the SBR was wickedly overgassed and required mitigation in the form of a BRT gas tube to fix this.

At one point BCM offered lightweight 11.5s but they seem to have phased those out some time ago.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    If you're looking for chrome lined I thought DD made LW versions of all their barrels, it seems though that they've phased them out since I last checked. Centurion Arms' 12.5" carbine barrel is 21.5 oz, not pencil profile weight but lighter than gov. If chrome lined isn't an issue the Ballistic Advantage barrels are top notch, and like others have said search around and you'll find them with a pinned gas block for $170-$180.
    In heavenly love abiding, no change my heart shall fear;
    and safe is such confiding, for nothing changes here:
    the storm may roar without me, my heart may low be laid;
    but God is round about me, and can I be dismayed?

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Green Mountain has a phosphate/chrome lined 11.5" pencil barrel. They do not provide a weight and I don't know anything about their barrels.

https://www.gmriflebarrel.com/gm-m64...ith-1-7-twist/

Top Notch Top Ends sells a similar barrel with an equal lack of specs.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 03-29-20 at 07:30.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Circle_10 View Post
    I used that Spike’s barrel for a 733 clone, bought it stripped and had a non-F FSB pinned. At the time it was the only game in town for an 11.5” pencil barrel with M4 ramps. I don’t know what the port size was but the SBR was wickedly overgassed and required mitigation in the form of a BRT gas tube to fix this.
    I have a Spikes/FN barrel, also for my 733 clone, that I bought last year. The port on mine was .076, measured with numbered drill bits.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Definitely take a look at criterion's new core series of barrels. Just an awesome profile from a company that makes exceptionally accurate barrels for the money. If you want to spend more, I would be hard pressed to find a better barrel in 12.5 than the Jim Hodge's barrels which have never been more available. They are stupid light, sub moa, and you won't ever kill one with semi auto fire.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    That BA barrel looks really nice. I'd go for that.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Furbyballer View Post
    Definitely take a look at criterion's new core series of barrels. Just an awesome profile from a company that makes exceptionally accurate barrels for the money. If you want to spend more, I would be hard pressed to find a better barrel in 12.5 than the Jim Hodge's barrels which have never been more available. They are stupid light, sub moa, and you won't ever kill one with semi auto fire.
    This has my attention. Thanks for sharing.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Jumping on the Criterion website reminded me.

Seems like their 12” lightweight barrel at 19#, produced for ADM, is exactly what you’re looking for.

https://criterionbarrels.com/product...e-lightweight/

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    Green Mountain has a phosphate/chrome lined 11.5" pencil barrel. They do not provide a weight and I don't know anything about their barrels.

https://www.gmriflebarrel.com/gm-m64...ith-1-7-twist/

Top Notch Top Ends sells a similar barrel with an equal lack of specs.

Andy
    That’s new I think. I don’t believe Green Mountain offered those until recently.
    As far as specs I don’t know most of them but I emailed Green Mountain about their 14.5 carbine pencil barrels a while back and they did tell me they were 4150 vanadium and they use that on all of their “military” barrels as of the time of the email. I bought two of the 14.5”s for Retro builds but have yet to use them.
    GM barrels have a pretty good reputation for accuracy (I personally have found my probable GM barrels to shoot very well) and I believe they are the OEM source for the barrels used by several other companies, of course they are going to make whatever the client specifies so their house brand barrels may be more budget oriented, have big gas ports, or maybe not.

I don’t know much about TNTE’s products, except that they allegedly use either GM or DSA barrels, but the company itself seems to have a pretty terrible reputation as far as their business practices go.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Miller View Post
    I have a Spikes/FN barrel, also for my 733 clone, that I bought last year. The port on mine was .076, measured with numbered drill bits.
    Interesting. Until I put the BRT gas tube in my 733 clone the freakin’ thing was chucking brass at like 12:30-1 o’clock and for a 5.56 AR was actually rather unpleasant to shoot. The BRT tube corrected both issues.
    Last edited by Circle_10; 03-29-20 at 15:02.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast