Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Current Production Lightweight 11.5 or 12.5 Barrels?

Feedback Score
    44 (100%)
    Hard to beat the Spikes Tactical CHF BBL...

https://www.spikestactical.com/collections/barrels/5-56-barrel-chf-lightweight-11-5/

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggy View Post
    Does it matter to you if it has a .223 Wylde chamber or a true 5.
    56 NATO Mil-Spec chamber ? It seems to matter to some people.
    Admittedly, I don’t know the difference. Would you share that with me as well as your thoughts and suggestion?

Feedback Score
    I have a 11.5" Sonics lightweight barrel. Couldn't be happier with it.

NYH1.

ROLLTIDE!
    NYSRPA Member.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmacken37 View Post
    Hard to beat the Spikes Tactical CHF BBL...

https://www.spikestactical.com/colle...htweight-11-5/
    I looked for reviews on that barrel a while back and only found negative ones.

BA Hanson 11.3” has been working well for me both suppressed and not. I use the can with it like 90%.

Edit: since we’re also talking about 12.5” barrels, I’ll point out that I am equally happy with my BA Hanson 12.3”. I shoot it mostly without a suppressor, and its one of very few SBRs I’ve actually enjoyed shooting without a can. Its super handy, and the barrel profile makes it feel lighter than 12.5” Gov barrels. 11.3” also feels lighter than it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Biggy View Post
    Does it matter to you if it has a .223 Wylde chamber or a true 5.56 NATO Mil-Spec chamber ? It seems to matter to some people.
    Personally, it only bothers me if the chamber does not match what is stamped on the barrel. I don’t understand why “manufacturers” do that.

Quote Originally Posted by xanderzuk View Post
    Admittedly, I don’t know the difference. Would you share that with me as well as your thoughts and suggestion?
    .223 Wylde exists because 5.56 NATO and .223 Rem chambers are nominally different. A true-to-spec .223 Rem chamber will produce higher pressures than a true-to-spec 5.56 chamber, with the same ammo. Given that 5.56 max loads produce more pressure than .223 allows already, this can be a problem. A 5.56 chamber can be used with either 5.56 or .223 ammo.

.223 Wylde is meant to combine attributes of the two in order to be more accurate than a 5.56 chamber, and to produce less pressure than a .223 Rem chamber. It is supposed to be safe to use with 5.56 ammo, unlike a .223 Rem chamber, which should be only used with .223 ammo. Noveske 5.56 Match chamber is similar to Wylde, both dimensionally and in intent. I’ve put piles of military 5.56 through these chambers and not died.

There are three things that blur everything I wrote above:

1) many barrel makers play fast and loose with matching chambers to listed specs

2) ammo makers do the same. Much ammo labeled 5.56 is in .223 territory, and some .223 ammo is close to 5.56 territory. There’s quite a bit of overlap, and much of what exists on the commercial market is .223 regardless of labeling.

3) Wylde is only more accurate than 5.56 in theory. There are plenty of guns chambered in 5.56 that are more accurate than their users, and approach the practical limit of lightweight semiautos.

Lucky Gunner has an article from a test they conducted that makes the case that it doesn’t matter. If you don’t shoot a lot of .mil ammo or max pressure stuff, it probably doesn’t. Your milage (and bolt life) may vary.
    Last edited by 1168; 04-01-20 at 08:16.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by NYH1 View Post
    I have a 11.5" Sonics lightweight barrel. Couldn't be happier with it.

NYH1.
    I'm very happy with my Sionics 11.5", but it is not a LW barrel.
    Last edited by opngrnd; 04-01-20 at 16:57. Reason: Clarified barrel contour.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by taekwondopreacher View Post
    Just ordered a 12.5 Criterion Core barrel. I'll let you guys know how it shoots.
    Let us know your impressions. They are very high at the top of my list for new barrels for any new builds I do. The price is right, the pedigree is righ, and so far the accuracy is on par with criterion's quality reputation. I got a 12.5 as well and its going head to head in a t&e against centurion arms 12.5 mid barrel I just got, and my 12.5 hodge.
    Last edited by Furbyballer; 04-01-20 at 07:35.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Furbyballer View Post
    Let us know your impressions. They are very high at the top of my list for new barrels for any new builds I do. The price is right, the pedigree is righ, and so far the accuracy is on par with criterion's quality reputation. I got a 12.5 as well and its going head to head in a t&e against centurion arms 12.5 mid barrel I just got, and my 12.5 hodge.
    I specifically like that you can get a matching bolt with it. Since service type matches are canceled for a good while, it's time for me to run rigs a bit more optimized. (I have looked at CA barrels several times, and it's always been a very minor reason that I have not ended up with one.)

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    We are working on lighter weight 11.5 and 12.5 barrels.

The 11.5 are ~20.5 oz, while the 12.5 are ~21.9 oz.

Quote Originally Posted by taekwondopreacher View Post
    I know a guy with the Ballistic Advantage .625 11.3 barrel. It seems properly gassed and it shoots well. BRT may or may not be releasing a lighter 11.5" barrel with their polygonal rifling, which would be worth the wait, IMHO. Beyond that, I generally stick to Sionics since they gas their barrels approximately, but they are not LW.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post

That's good to hear.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post

Do go on, sir.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast