Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Current Production Lightweight 11.5 or 12.5 Barrels?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Actually here’s something from Arf I just found....

“Originally Posted By firepyro515:
    Your mileage may vary , but here is my experience with the Spikes/FN 11.5

We ordered a bunch for the shop back in 2011. They looked nice and we didn't notice any issue with them when installing. Shooting was a completely different story. When we took them out to zero, we ran out of windage. We pinned the rear sight all the way to the right and the gun was still shooting left at 25 yards. We thought it was a fluke and tried a different barrel. All 5 barrels we ordered had the same issue.

Fast forward to the end of 2014. I was looking for a new barrel for my SBR. I thought that maybe the last batch of Spikes/FN barrels were bad, so I decided to try them again. I picked up one from a distributor and installed it on my upper and took it out to the range. This time, I ended up pinning the rear sight all the way to the left and I was still hitting right at 25 yards. I ended up tossing the barrel and going with a Daniel Defense 11.5" barrel (1.28lbs)

I have used a 14.5" Spikes/FN barrel for over 4 years now and I haven't had any issues with it. But the Spikes/FN 11.5 barrels have been giving me problems.”

The reason why I post it is because one issue I had is that when zeroing my SBR with the Spikes 11.5 is that I had to make a bunch of clicks to the right to get it dialed in at 50yds, which put the aperture noticeably offset to the right (not quite all the way, but getting there). This happened with two different C7 style upper receivers from two different manufacturers (I had to change upper receivers because of a feed problem......which, is a long story but now that I’m remembering it, even though I changed uppers the barrel was the likely issue, switching uppers was just the easiest way to fix the problem) So anyway, I have OCD (literally) this offset rear sight annoyed me but my inclination was to suspect the guy who had pinned my FSB had canted it ever so slightly, it didn’t really occur to me that the issue could have been with the barrel itself. I got mine years after this guy’s experiences though.
    So if the account from Arfcom is accurate, what causes this? The bore being asymmetric in the barrel?

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Yes, thats one that I have seen. Now that I re-read it, he’s using iron sights, as well. Maybe FSB problems, like you said. Do you have a flat-top? Maybe you can snag a QD optic off another rifle and see how far off it is. I’m usually somewhat close at 25 if I swap an optic between rifles. It sounds like with one of these you might not be on paper.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    Green Mountain has a phosphate/chrome lined 11.5" pencil barrel. They do not provide a weight and I don't know anything about their barrels.

https://www.gmriflebarrel.com/gm-m64...ith-1-7-twist/

Top Notch Top Ends sells a similar barrel with an equal lack of specs.

Andy
    I've been satisfied with all my GMB's. Here is a link to a photo of the profile:

https://cdn2.bigcommerce.com/n-biq04...0.1280.jpg?c=2

At 168.00 it's not the cheapest, but not really pricey. You could call GMB for a weight.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Yes, thats one that I have seen. Now that I re-read it, he’s using iron sights, as well. Maybe FSB problems, like you said. Do you have a flat-top? Maybe you can snag a QD optic off another rifle and see how far off it is. I’m usually somewhat close at 25 if I swap an optic between rifles. It sounds like with one of these you might not be on paper.
    My SBR is a Retro gun, with a fixed carry handle so unless I get a mount to put on top of the handle I probably won’t be checking it with an optic. Luckily in my case, while it required a lot of windage adjustment I didn’t actually run out of it and I did get it zeroed and it hits properly at 50-100 yards. And thanks to the BRT gas tube it isn’t throwing brass at like 12:30-1 o’clock anymore either.
    Spikes sells them with the FSBs already installed as an option but I got it as a stripped barrel because I specifically needed a “Non F” FSB pinned in order to be proper for a fixed carry handle upper receiver. So I bought the barrel and had someone else pin the FSB after the fact. Although I guess it is possible he pinned it slightly canted and all of this is just a coincidence.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    edit....
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    44 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    I've got a couple of these Spikes/FN 11.5 bbls and haven't had any problems. Of course I rarely shoot with irons anymore...

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Furbyballer View Post
    Definitely take a look at criterion's new core series of barrels. Just an awesome profile from a company that makes exceptionally accurate barrels for the money. If you want to spend more, I would be hard pressed to find a better barrel in 12.5 than the Jim Hodge's barrels which have never been more available. They are stupid light, sub moa, and you won't ever kill one with semi auto fire.
    Quote Originally Posted by taekwondopreacher View Post
    Just ordered a 12.5 Criterion Core barrel. I'll let you guys know how it shoots.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furbyballer View Post
    Let us know your impressions. They are very high at the top of my list for new barrels for any new builds I do. The price is right, the pedigree is righ, and so far the accuracy is on par with criterion's quality reputation. I got a 12.5 as well and its going head to head in a t&e against centurion arms 12.5 mid barrel I just got, and my 12.5 hodge.
    Interested in both your input on the Criterion Core especially since you run Centurions as well. I’ve tested my 12.5” Centurion with several different 75-77gr match ammo types and it seems pretty consistent around 1.3 MOA at 100yds. I thought a lot of guys were claiming MOA, so not sure if I’m an outlier or what. What’s your experience?

My 12.5 is set up as a do all “Mini-Recce” with an NX8 and seems to be gassed and balances pretty well with my EA VOX-S attached. The NX8 isn’t exactly a precision optic so that may contribute to group size but I’ve also shot with a PST2 (finer reticle) and didn’t do any better.

Also where are you seeing Hodge barrels in plentiful supply?? And what does your Hodge 12.5” weigh?
    Last edited by Ironman8; 04-06-20 at 22:34.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironman8 View Post
    Interested in both your input on the Criterion Core especially since you run Centurions as well. I’ve tested my 12.5” Centurion with several different 75-77gr match ammo types and it seems pretty consistent around 1.3 MOA at 100yds. I thought a lot of guys were claiming MOA, so not sure if I’m an outlier or what. What’s your experience?

My 12.5 is set up as a do all “Mini-Recce” with an NX8 and seems to be gassed and balances pretty well with my EA VOX-S attached. The NX8 isn’t exactly a precision optic so that may contribute to group size but I’ve also shot with a PST2 (finer reticle) and didn’t do any better.

Also where are you seeing Hodge barrels in plentiful supply?? And what does your Hodge 12.5” weigh?
    The 12.5" weight 1lb 8oz

Availability is certainly more than ever but they just sold out at Forward Control Design and OPDSource. I wonder if some purchased them with their Fed check.

https://www.weaponoutfitters.com/hodge-12-5-barrel.html

https://www.optactical.com/hode5nabar.html

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Put 20 rounds through the 12.5" Criterion last night. SBA4/A5 system,Vltor MUR, 11" Larue Quad rail, FCD 6315, very much balanced to the rear. Soft shooting with Norma 55gr FMJ, 3:00 ejection. The Larue quad rail gets replaced with the MLOK version tomorrow which will further shift balance to the rear. I believe it's a 5oz difference on paper. I started by shooting one round, wet patches followed by dry patches. By round 5 it was three wet followed by one dry. I did this for 15 rounds, then shot 5 rounds and was out of time. Impulse seems flat and soft. I'll post again after another 200 rounds.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironman8 View Post

My centurion 12.5 will hold sub moa 10 round groups. I think I have several groups posted here on the site in some of the older 12.5 barrel threads if you search around. I just finished building out the 12.5 mid from centurion and once I get the ability to, I'll start burning both the criterion and centurion barrels down. I have several training events coming up with high round counts and high accountability so I should be able to give you all some decent feedback. Assuming all this bullshit starts to end around June.

The way you run your 12.5 is exactly how I use them. My system is 11.5in and shorter gets RDS and Magnifiers, 12.5s get 1-x with offset rds for NV for do it all carbines, 14.5-16in are my dmr guns with 3-18s, and then the larger caliber stuff varies depending on use and purpose.

I know Roy still had some in stock over at weapon outfitters for hodge barrels and I think Jim has at least 6 different places stocking his stuff now.

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast