Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: “Its just a tube”

Feedback Score

“Its just a tube”

I’ve seen a lot of post, some here, mostly elsewhere, talking about how much cans are over-priced.
    I think some brands command a premium (sf, maybe knights), but you are paying extra for the mouting system and testing IMO.

For the market as a whole, when you price stuff out, this claim falls on its face.
    Titanium tubes are not cheap
    Ti or even 17-4 cones are not cheap
    Welding these into a can are not cheap
    Cnc machining the baffles are not cheap

Yes, you can make a $100 steel tube, but it will be loud, and heavy. Al wont last long and will be heavier than a Ti silencer.
    To make a decent can, you’ll likely spend significantly more than off the shelf prices. I was looking to form1 a can and saw yhm prices... cheaper, lighter, welded (not screwed together).

Its not just a tube.
    If they are so cheap to make, why not undercut the market with your own solution? Am I missing something?
    Last edited by MegademiC; 03-28-20 at 18:45.

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    I’ve seen a lot of post, some here, mostly elsewhere, talking about how much cans are over-priced.
    I think some brands command a premium (sf, maybe knights), but you are paying extra for the mouting system and testing IMO.

For the market as a whole, when you price stuff out, this claim falls on its face.

Yes, you can make a $100 steel tube, but it will be loud, and heavy. Al wont last long and will be heavier than a Ti silencer.
    To make a decent can, you’ll likely spend significantly more than off the shelf prices. I was looking to form1 a can and saw yhm prices... cheaper, lighter, welded (not screwed together).

Its not just a tube.
    If they are so cheap to make, why not undercut the market with your own solution? Am I missing something?

Bubba is always gonna bitch that stuff is overpriced and then hack together his own hillbilly solution that "is just as good and only cost $40."

Feedback Score
    Material costs are not the primary driving factor when it comes to suppressor costs. It's about economies of scale. There would be many more suppressors made and they would be considerably less expensive if demand was not reduced due to the NFA cost and hassle. If suppressors were not subject to the NFA, I think demand would easily be three or four times what it is now. If that happened, the manufacturing efficiencies would drastically increase and overhead costs per unit would go way down. It wouldn't surprise me at all if the resulting prices overall were half what they are today. Therefore, I think for what you get suppressors are overpriced compared to other firearm related items.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    Material costs are not the primary driving factor when it comes to suppressor costs. It's about economies of scale. There would be many more suppressors made and they would be considerably less expensive if demand was not reduced due to the NFA cost and hassle. If suppressors were not subject to the NFA, I think demand would easily be three or four times what it is now. If that happened, the manufacturing efficiencies would drastically increase and overhead costs per unit would go way down. It wouldn't surprise me at all if the resulting prices overall were half what they are today. Therefore, I think for what you get suppressors are overpriced compared to other firearm related items.
    Yes, the nfa burden keeps scale low, and therefore higher prices, but the current market is still more economical than home builds. You could apply that logic to anything that not proliferate. Its not over priced, just higher than it could be, and everything could be lower priced.

You could say that about anything, but I only see it said about supressors. “Its just a tube”. No its not.

If you had a cnc machine churning out oarts 24/7, yeah things would be a lot cheaper. Custom/ non-continuous machinework is very expensive.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 03-28-20 at 21:54.

Feedback Score
    People are just making a value perception. For many, the cost is not worth it given the utility they get from suppressors versus the utility they can get from other firearm related items. For example, given a choice between a suppressor and another AR15, most will choose the AR15. People perceive suppressors as being less complex than most pistols (which is generally correct), yet they cost more.
    Last edited by Bret; 03-28-20 at 23:19.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    The one thing that gets me, in particular, about a lot of the folks making those statements is that Suppressors are at, in my eyes, an all time low in cost.

I just picked up a TI Tube Mystic X (Monocore and user serviceable) for 599.

Not only would I be fooling myself, but I would be straight up high to believe that I could reasonably produce something of that level of manufacture, with a 33-38db reduction, out of my home shop. Even with a mill, CNC, etc. After cost of tooling, concept, materials, you'd have to Form 1 damn near 10-15 to make it worth your overall expenditure, and still hope to produce a valid "quality" product.

Feedback Score
    True, but you couldn't produce a pistol either for less. In fact, very few people would try to make a pistol from scratch. Pistols are more complicated in design and function yet their selling prices don't reflect that relative to suppressors.

To you first point, suppressors are getting less expensive and their designs are improving at a faster rate than firearms. As the suppressor market expands, I think the prices will continue to fall and the designs will continue to improve.
    Last edited by Bret; 03-30-20 at 08:17.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post

Its not just a tube.

The people that make this claim are almost always idiots who can't afford one in the first place or have no intention of ever buying one.
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    True, but you couldn't produce a pistol either for less. In fact, very few people would try to make a pistol from scratch. Pistols are more complicated in design and function yet their selling prices don't reflect that relative to suppressors.

To you first point, suppressors are getting less expensive and their designs are improving at a faster rate than suppressors. As the suppressor market expands, I think the prices will continue to fall and the designs will continue to improve.
    Yeah, but no one says “its just a chunk of steel and some springs. They are overpriced.” About pistols.

Quote Originally Posted by scottryan View Post
    The people that make this claim are almost always idiots who can't afford one in the first place or have no intention of ever buying one.
    Probably true. I’ve just seen this a lot in the last month or so, way more frequently than before, and its driving me nuts. A little time in the industrial market really opens your eyes to how cheap mass produced stuff like cars and guns are. This is exactly what bret it referencing with economy of scale, but as soon as you deviate from that world and see what custom stuff costs, it makes sense.

I can buy a used whole car for the cost of an ac 25hp motor. Its just the way is. That doesnt mean all ac motors are overpriced. That would be a stupid thing to say.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 03-29-20 at 22:05.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I was out shooting at a private range that I belong to, one of the members was conducting a CCW class. I had several SBRs and cans with me on that outing and the member/instructor asked if I'd give a quick discussion/explanation on NFA items to her class. Most of the class had never seen a silencer before so I passed around my Saker 762 so people could feel the heft of what a legit heavy duty silencer felt like. I heard one dude say "yeah, I just build my own..." Couldn't help but think exactly what this thread is about. Yeah, no dude, you don't build a Saker 762 at home... Second thought was: Yeah, and I'm sure he's doing his builds legally ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast