Thread: Haven't posted in a LONG time but what do you think of this?

Feedback Score

Haven't posted in a LONG time but what do you think of this?

Before anyone chastises me for what is in their opinion a poorly thought out suggestion, bear in mind my knowledge of all things AR-15/M-16 are from reading some very well authored books and articles on the history of the AR platform of rifles and Eugene Stoner, some found here I might add so those inclined to berating those less knowledgeable then themselves I would ask to please if you can refrain to the best of their abilities as I have no desire to upset you with my words or my intentions as well meaning as they are to be utilized as paving the road to the DemacRATs retirement home AKA H#LL. And like my thread title says I haven't posted here in a VERY long time as enjoying hunting, fishing, archery, reloading and shooting with my boys on top of working 3k hours a year leaves little time for surfing the net so I likely might be a little out of touch with how things are run around here.

Seeing as the AR-15 is THE most popular center fire sporting rifle in America and I just got done using the search engine here multiple times trying to find past threads about AR-15 suggestions for first time buyers and came up essentially empty why would not it be a good idea to make a permanent post for first time AR-15 buyers separated into a recommended components thread for a AR build and a complete factory AR-15 thread divided into cost thresholds. Something along the lines of top tear, mid level and entry level complete rifles and components. Lastly a suggestion list on if building a rifle which components you should spend top dollar on and which you can get by with buying mid level quality like a top dollar BCG VS a well made but basic charging handle.

I would think it would go a long way in limiting the number of endless repeat threads asking "Which AR-15 to buy?"

So is there liability issues or other reasons such AR-15 recommendation stickies as I described don't exist here?
    Last edited by DMTJAGER; 03-29-20 at 01:43.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Way to many variables in my opinion. Even by price as that's not a true indicator of quality. The biggest one is the builder, one would think it would be easy but read some threads here and elsewhere and you can see. Besides, what would folks talk about here? It is a forum, let people talk provided it stays inside the rules.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DMTJAGER View Post
    Would it be a good idea to make a post for first time AR-15 buyers?

separated into a recommended components thread for a AR build and a complete factory AR-15 thread divided into cost thresholds. Something along the lines of top tear, mid level and entry level complete rifles and components.

Lastly a suggestion list on if building a rifle which components you should spend top dollar on and which you can get by with buying mid level quality like a top dollar BCG VS a well made but basic charging handle.

I would think it would go a long way in limiting the number of endless repeat threads asking "Which AR-15 to buy?"

So is there liability issues or other reasons such AR-15 recommendation stickies as I described don't exist here?

Quite possibly it would, though the variables would be endless, it still wouldn't change that a basic primer could be a resource.

I agree a build vs buy would be helpful.

I think cheap vs legit components would be an asset as well.

No liability issues that I can think of as it would be a recommendation based on the personal experiences of users, and not telling people they have to go do something. Educational and informative, don't try this at home, etc etc..

ETA- I can start a thread in my own section to avoid cluttering up this section if it keeps it easier for people, my section also doesn't need the same level of moderation, so mods don't have to worry about baby sitting non compliant toddlers.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    Quite possibly it would, though the variables would be endless, it still wouldn't change that a basic primer could be a resource.

I agree a build vs buy would be helpful.

I think cheap vs legit components would be an asset as well.

No liability issues that I can think of as it would be a recommendation based on the personal experiences of users, and not telling people they have to go do something. Educational and informative, don't try this at home, etc etc..

ETA- I can start a thread in my own section to avoid cluttering up this section if it keeps it easier for people, my section also doesn't need the same level of moderation, so mods don't have to worry about baby sitting non compliant toddlers.
    Would thoroughly enjoy a quick one stop shop for the information.

Granted, far from a first time builder or buyer, but always awesome to see input from all walks like Industry Professionals, Average Joes, LEO, Etc; even if only a general consensus.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Stick, I would keep one part all stock factory rifles and then have one for those who like to add aftermarket items. It may help to have an explanation as to the true benefit for the parts change.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!