Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Training pistol for kids

Feedback Score

Training pistol for kids

I have two young girls (7 and 11) they I'm looking to start pistol training with. What small firearm would you think would be good for this? Extra consideration if there is an airsoft version that I could start the youngest off with.

Thanks in advance for the input.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I am thinking the same thing with my 14 & 11 year old and here is what I'm testing. The Glock 44. It's the same size as a 19 and the Airsoft 19 as well. So start on the Airsoft, move to the G44, finish with the G19. I bought the threaded barrel from glock for the 44 for about $100, so we can start off suppressed outside somewhere when we move from AS to G44.

Feedback Score
    I would start with a 22 to train control and safety, but they may be ready to move up to 9mm quickly. Let them (assuming budget allows), dictate when they “graduate” to the next level.

Some people keep going back to 22, some want to move up. Depends on the kid.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    I've long used an old Gen2 G19 frame, with an Advantage Arms .22 conversion kit slide. I bought the threaded barrel, so that I could add a rimfire can to it.

The young 'uns love it, and it teaches them with a reduced risk of hearing loss. Everyone always wears eye protection, of course. But if a set of earmuffs slips, it's not a life-altering experience.

Now that the glock 44 is out, and they have a threaded barrel for it, you might try it as others have mentioned. Be aware it has the LH metric threads, however. It does not have the finger grooves, which is nice for wee digits.

Feedback Score
    Thanks everyone. I'm in California, so the can is a no-go. But I like the idea of a g44.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Smith&Wesson Shield EZ .380 might be something to consider. The grip is pretty thin and recoil is very soft. The slide of course is ridiculously easy to manipulate as well. I recently bought one for the wife and thinking about letting the boys (age 6 and 8) try it. They are inexpensive too got mine for around $360.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyt16 View Post
    Smith&Wesson Shield EZ .380 might be something to consider. The grip is pretty thin and recoil is very soft. The slide of course is ridiculously easy to manipulate as well. I recently bought one for the wife and thinking about letting the boys (age 6 and 8) try it. They are inexpensive too got mine for around $360.
    No kids, but training recoil-shy non-gun ladies, I’ve had good results with the above. I also have a M&P 22, a M&P bb gun, that are roughly the same form factors, and a M&P15-22. Honestly, all of these guns are crazy fun. I need to find a threaded barrel for the EZ 380.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    If you want to save some money and not deal with the issues of the G44 take a look at the Taurus TX22. Yes, it is Taurus but i bought one (only taurus i own) and really like it. About G19 sized with a little better grip angle IMO. Other good poly options are M&P compact and ruger sr22

These also have very good reviews online from MAC and some others. Mine has over 1k trouble free rounds now. Paid $250 locally and really impressed with it

Another good option would be a Ruger Mark IV Lite or one of the other variants. Browning Buckmark would be an option as well

I think starting with a low recoiling 22 is a good option. They can get the gun safety rules down, work on grip/trigger pull//sight alignment/stance and not have to worry about a lot of recoil and they are less noisy than larger calibers. Should help with reducing flinch and some other issues when starting out compared to a larger caliber

Also much cheaper to shoot. You can go out for a whole day and burn 1k rounds if you want and you are only out $50 or so
    Last edited by everready73; 04-10-20 at 10:03.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I know a few girls that started competition shooting and that started on somethign like a Ruger Mark IV

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Anyone have thoughts on starting with airsoft? I mean the cheap, Walmart kind. My daughter is 7, I'd like her to get trigger discipline and the 4 rules down before graduating to a .22

Squirt guns don't have enough 'real' feel to them, which is kind of what I've been using last summer when it was warmer.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast