Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Training pistol for kids

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Definitely .22LR to start. Low recoil, cheaper, and they can get more rounds downrange. Focus on basics. Like the idea of the G44 to prep for G19, but I've never even held one.

22/45 Lite is reliable and easy to shoot

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2100 View Post
    Elite Force airsoft Glocks feel really close to the real thing and are great for introducing and training new shooters. You can teach them all the basics of handling and safety at home, in a quiet environment, etc. The trigger is even pretty close to the real thing.

It really might be better for this purpose than the Glock 44, which is more expensive and carries all the same limitations of real firearms, even if it's only a .22.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Anybody else have one of these? Looking at their 19x GBB
    1168, did you get one? How is it?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    My vote is for the Ruger Mark IV 22/45 line. These newer Mark IV make taketown a breeze as well. The earlier generations were an absolute nightmare to fieldstrip. These are great guns for introducing new shooters.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Ruger Mk. Series I, II, IV, III in that order, if you can find 'em.
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Glock 44. Had mine for over a year. Great little pistol.
    The truth can only offend those who live a lie.

Feedback Score

Training pistol for kids

I know this is an old thread, but it’s probably relevant still for others.

Ditto on all the .22 suggestions, not just for kids but all new shooters.

Lately, I’ve been burning through about a hundred rounds a couple nights a week in my garage shooting one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/Glock-177-Cal.../dp/B07FT2LLLK

Lots of fun! Made by Umarex and licensed by Glock. Mags are $12 and hold 16 bb’s. I train at 7 yards in my garage, sometimes low light with flashlight. I had a nice Japanese Glock airsoft but this is way better IMO.

Cost...pretty cheap. I get 7 mags from a CO2 cartridge. 40 cartridges cost under $20, and 6000 bbs are under $8. I spend 30-40 minutes to get through those 7 mags. Total cost for BB’s and CO2 is under $1.00 (excluding targets and backstop).

For a backstop, I framed out a 4’ * 6’ rectangle using 2*4 lumber. I used two layers of foam flooring on the back, and several layers of heavy duty cardboard moving boxes on the front. I use the stick on targets.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Norsk-4-Pac...ing/1002967934

https://www.lowes.com/pd/24-in-W-x-1...Boxes/50098526

YMMV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BuzzinSATX; 11-16-20 at 10:06.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    22lr is the correct ammo choice but all these suggestions for semis is foolish. Teach them first on a SA or revolver in 22lr. Teach them proper technique, rules, etc etc. Hell, lots of kids have trouble racking some slides, most adult women do for that matter, so using a semi first add complexity and danger to new shooters.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RUTGERS95 View Post
    22lr is the correct ammo choice but all these suggestions for semis is foolish. Teach them first on a SA or revolver in 22lr. Teach them proper technique, rules, etc etc. Hell, lots of kids have trouble racking some slides, most adult women do for that matter, so using a semi first add complexity and danger to new shooters.
    I found the opposite to be true. I started my kid with revolvers and he quickly lost interest and wanted to leave the range. I was bewildered as he had been so excited to learn to shoot ‘real guns’ till he explained it was hurting his thumbs (cocking the hammer).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pachucko View Post
    I found the opposite to be true. I started my kid with revolvers and he quickly lost interest and wanted to leave the range. I was bewildered as he had been so excited to learn to shoot ‘real guns’ till he explained it was hurting his thumbs (cocking the hammer).

Everything is individual. Children are all different. The attention and interest of each child needs to be won in its own way. The child may not be interested in weapons at all. We are used to the fact that pistols and cars are for boys, and dolls for girls, but my niece loves cars, and my nephew is indifferent to pistols. He is more interested in disassembling something (and simultaneously breaking it).

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BuzzinSATX View Post
    Lots of fun! Made by Umarex and licensed by Glock. Mags are $12 and hold 16 bb’s. I train at 7 yards in my garage, sometimes low light with flashlight. I had a nice Japanese Glock airsoft but this is way better IMO.
    Why do you like it better than the airsoft Glock? I may try one of these.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast