Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Training pistol for kids

Feedback Score
    Good suggestions so far, which I will encourage. A Glock 44 seems smart to me but I have never shot one.
    I have a Browning Buckmark and a Zamak PPK in .22LR. Neither of those are guns I would recommend for starting out.

I am a huge airsoft for training fan. If you spend enough, you are getting a reliable facsimile of a real firearm - same manual of arms, some recoil, some report and accuracy enough for basement/backyard skills development. On top of that, airsoft guns have enough danger to reinforce the risk, on par with BB guns. They are similar to firearms but are just less negatives relative to starting out - less risk, less noise, less blast.

Please bear in mind that a decent Japanese or Taiwanese green gas pistol is $150-200. I started with some cheap ones but eventually discovered Tokyo Marui and KSC for force on force. Like most things in life, quality costs.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Have the bugs been worked out of the G44 yet?
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Training pistol for kids

Glocks, M&Ps and Walthers all have similar designs across airsoft, pellet/bb, and 22lr options.

For higher end
    https://www.airsoftgi.com/

Amazon has a good selection of pellet/bb and airsoft options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by zombiescometh; 05-13-20 at 01:45.
    "The most important rule in a gunfight is: Always win and cheat if necessary." ~ Clint Smith

Feedback Score
    My favorite was a Ruger MkII, now Mk IV, but then again if I was starting to teach kids to shoot now,it would most likely be a G44.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Caduceus View Post
    Anyone have thoughts on starting with airsoft? I mean the cheap, Walmart kind. My daughter is 7, I'd like her to get trigger discipline and the 4 rules down before graduating to a .22

Squirt guns don't have enough 'real' feel to them, which is kind of what I've been using last summer when it was warmer.
    I think airsoft for kids is a really good idea to get the rules down etc.. Never to early to start

I have a soon to be 4 year old. We have a bunch of nerf guns and always talk about gun safety when using just to drill it in. Airsoft will be next this year. I would like to get him on a 22 rifle at around 6 but that depends on how things go and maturity level. There are some 6 year olds that i would be completely comfortable taking out to shoot, but some 12 year olds i wouldn't.

Feedback Score
    I have M&P handgun variants in airsoft, 22, and 9 mm that I have used with my son. The airsoft is really his toy, and I’ve never really integrated into his training. He gets to play with it in the basement with the only real restriction being a eye pro. I understand the logic in integrating the airsoft into real gun training, but with young enough kids you need to supervise them like you do with a real handgun. I just let the airsoft become kind of the super Nerf gun, which we never really trained on all of the safety outside of not face shooting people.

I am a huge of 22s for training. I have them in bolt guns, AR platforms, and handguns. All of the 22s are set up similar to the centerfire options. I have a fair amount of steel, some specifically for 22. Great reactive steel like dueling towers and spinners. They facilitate speed and accuracy. So what we do is start with 22s during the day moves in centerfire practice measure with timers how we’re doing, move back to 22s learn some lessons and then go back to center fire. I have a fair amount of steel, some specifically for 22. Get reactive steel like dueling towers and spinners. They facilitate speed and accuracy with instant feedback. So what we do is start with 22s, during the day move to centerfire, practice and measure with timers how we’re doing, move back to 22s learn some lessons and then go back to centerfire.
    Last edited by FromMyColdDeadHand; 05-16-20 at 12:18.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    Elite Force airsoft Glocks feel really close to the real thing and are great for introducing and training new shooters. You can teach them all the basics of handling and safety at home, in a quiet environment, etc. The trigger is even pretty close to the real thing.

It really might be better for this purpose than the Glock 44, which is more expensive and carries all the same limitations of real firearms, even if it's only a .22.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2100 View Post
    Elite Force airsoft Glocks feel really close to the real thing and are great for introducing and training new shooters. You can teach them all the basics of handling and safety at home, in a quiet environment, etc. The trigger is even pretty close to the real thing.

It really might be better for this purpose than the Glock 44, which is more expensive and carries all the same limitations of real firearms, even if it's only a .22.
    Anybody else have one of these? Looking at their 19x GBB
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Evike.com is the go to site for anything airsoft. My 4 and 6 year old boys have airsoft pistols they use to learn the basics while shooting in the backyard. They also have Red Ryders they use to shoot at coke cans hanging in trees on our property.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post

I am a huge of 22s for training. I have them in bolt guns, AR platforms, and handguns. All of the 22s are set up similar to the centerfire options. I have a fair amount of steel, some specifically for 22. Great reactive steel like dueling towers and spinners. They facilitate speed and accuracy. So what we do is start with 22s during the day moves in centerfire practice measure with timers how we’re doing, move back to 22s learn some lessons and then go back to center fire. I have a fair amount of steel, some specifically for 22. Get reactive steel like dueling towers and spinners. They facilitate speed and accuracy with instant feedback. So what we do is start with 22s, during the day move to centerfire, practice and measure with timers how we’re doing, move back to 22s learn some lessons and then go back to centerfire.
    Agree. My son was 13 when I started to teach him with a m&p 22. I then got him involved with SASP.
    https://sssfonline.org/scholastic-pistol-program-spp/
    He moved on to AR 22 and then 9 and .223/556

As far as training , I find some instructors will be open to train 15-16 year olds as long as parent takes the class and they , the instructors, are not the babysitters.

Hope it helps

DK

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast