Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Training pistol for kids

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    great thread everyone and agree every kid is different. I just found it easier to keep it simple and work up from there.

my dad was a DI so I started off early and by 10, could completely field strip, clean, operate, etc etc but for my kids, I started them off with bb guns to learn proper handling, the 4 basic rules, etc. and then graduated to 22lrs and now on to ARs. Did the same for handguns going from bb to SA roughriders and now they are learning the semis. It's loads of fun and we shoot cans, water bottles, different things to keep them having fun with it. They love to compete against each other for extra 'stay up' at night. lol

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The S&W M&P 22lr is a great option. I like it better than the Ruger MK II and Browning Buckmark.

The S&W M&P 22's used to be really cheap but, I'm not sure about the cost today with all the gun buying craziness.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    Why do you like it better than the airsoft Glock? I may try one of these.
    Several main reasons:

1. I hated the air soft mags, mine leaked gas. CO2 cartridges way better!

2. I built a target frame and can use regular paper or “splash” targets over cardboard

3. I can pickup the bbs easily with magnet

CONS are I really need to be cognizant of auto glass and windows, but my target stands catch everything so not worried.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Thanks. What holster do you use? https://www.pyramydair.com/airgun-ex...rex-glock-g19/

Holstering the Umarex G19 is a little harder than I would like since the dimensions are just a little larger (we’re talking a fraction of an inch) but enough to make it a hard fit in most Kydex or injection molded Glock 19 rigs.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    I use my kydex OWB carry holster. Mine is the thinner kydex and flexes to fit great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)
    I have both the G44 and M&P-22 Compact. The trigger on the G44 was difficult for my 13 & 15 year old girls as well as my 10 year old son. They had no issues with the M&P-22 Compact.

The M&P came with a threaded barrel. I had to buy one for the 44.

I am unaware if there is an airsoft version of it.

I teach at a Women on Target event twice a year and the (often elderly) women have used that M&P-22C for years as well.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ndmiller View Post
    I am thinking the same thing with my 14 & 11 year old and here is what I'm testing. The Glock 44...
    This was my answer, to introduce my daughter to handguns. It's terrific.

Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    I would start with a 22 to train control and safety, but they may be ready to move up to 9mm quickly...

Some people keep going back to 22, some want to move up. Depends on the kid.
    LOL, I'm one of those kids that keeps going back to .22lr...

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Now that the glock 44 is out, and they have a threaded barrel for it, you might try it as others have mentioned. Be aware it has the LH metric threads, however...
    Non-issue... The threaded barrel comes with a 1/2-28 adaptor.

Quote Originally Posted by chef8489 View Post
    I know a few girls that started competition shooting and that started on somethign like a Ruger Mark IV
    That's next for us... I wanted a G44 first because it's lighter and handier: only 12-13oz.

The Ruger Mark IVs weigh three times as much.

Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    Have the bugs been worked out of the G44 yet?
    Mine's been trouble free, besides the typical rimfire ammo issues. (It hates hates HATES Norma's .22lr.)

Quote Originally Posted by RUTGERS95 View Post
    22lr is the correct ammo choice but all these suggestions for semis is foolish. Teach them first on a SA or revolver in 22lr...
    I considered that and rejected it... I'm just not a SA revolver fan. Loading one round at a time through a gate just sucks. I'd rather my daughter learn the Glock manual of arms, too.

You're right about not going straight to a pistol: Start 'em with a rifle. We went from a Savage Cub/Rascal to a Ruger American Rimfire, and Santa just brought a T/CR22 early.

Quote Originally Posted by JEL458 View Post
    The trigger on the G44 was difficult...
    Amen... The trigger on the G44 seemed even heavier than on my eight centerfire Glocks — maybe because the gun itself is so light that it feels like a squirt gun.

Everybody who shot the gun (Everybody who sees it wants to try it!) commented on the heavy trigger. I measured it, and it was 7.5lbs. Wow!

Happily, the G44 takes any other Glock connector and striker and safety plunger springs... The trigger pull is now barely 4lbs.
    Last edited by Bimmer; 12-06-20 at 21:39.

Feedback Score
    Been using a Ruger SR-22 and steel targets for several years now. Instant gratification plus easy-to-shot pistol led to many repeat range trips. We’ve moved in to a S&W M&P-22 rifle and her own shotgun from there. I’ll probably move her up to a G44 soon, but it wasn’t available at the time. The Ruger fits small hand well.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by if4not View Post
    We’ve moved in to a S&W M&P-22 rifle and her own shotgun from there...
    Which shotgun?

My daughter wants to go bird hunting, and I have a couple Benelli M1/M2s, but those don't seem like a good first shotgun. (Though they've been my first/only shotguns.)

I really don't want to go buy a 20ga...

Feedback Score
    We’ve had good luck with the Challenger 7 1/2 loads in our 12ga. Brownell’s has them.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast