Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: improvised body armor question

Feedback Score
    12 (93%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    Hard and soft body armor is cheap and readily available.
    That's true to a certain extent. What got me thinking was that I was watching Michael Mann's Blackhat movie last night and the main character was in Jakarta trying to meet up with a bad guy in public and so he duct taped a bunch of magazines around his abdominal section in anticipation for an attack. I'm not sure that was to stop a bullet or possible knife attack. Either way, it made me think if there is any known methods to easily produce body armor from common household or things that can be obtained off the shelf and be assembled in 20-25 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by vandal5 View Post
    They also tried making a bullet proof car with phone books. Realized it was kind of unrealistic as that many phone books to cover the car would actually put them over the max carry weight of the vehicle.
    I remember that, and I do remember them using phone books for other armor related myths but couldn't remember if they used them for self defense.

Quote Originally Posted by turnburglar View Post
    I couldn't make it in 20 minutes, but Im thinking a fiberglass laminate with some ceramic up front? Commonly found at all home improvement stores.
    I was thinking the same thing, ceramic tile between steel plates or similar.

Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    Ar500 targets would be the only thing Id trust.
    obviously that would be my first choice.

Quote Originally Posted by tacticaldesire View Post
    In some sort of grid down situation where body armor would even be a conceivable requirement, I'd rather have speed and mobility and sacrifice my bullet resistance, rather than gorilla taping some phone books and a manhole cover to my torso.
    lol. well, maybe stopping a 5.56 was to optimistic, if we were to lower the ratings to 9mm JHP I guess it would be easier to produce something quickly out of common household items.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vandal5 View Post
    I am pretty sure Mythbusters did do a body armor episode. Been a long time since I've watched any.

Think it was a combo of ceramic tiles and kevlar? Sorry, I forget the results.

They also tried making a bullet proof car with phone books. Realized it was kind of unrealistic as that many phone books to cover the car would actually put them over the max carry weight of the vehicle.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    I think you're right about Mythbusters, they did several shows on bullet proofing an item.
    Here's a list of all their episodes, it's too much to scan on my phone but the OP might be able to find it on a computer monitor.
    It might not be listed as bulletproof car etc it might have been a movie myth episode.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...sters_episodes

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12