Thread: 98 fs factory sights, have these been painted by the previous owner?

Feedback Score

98 fs factory sights, have these been painted by the previous owner?

Hi guys, a question about my beretta 98fs in 9x21, it was produced in 1993 (that's why it has m9 sights on it). I bought it used, like new. It is one of the older models without the slanted frame, it's the straight one. While cleaning it i noticed that the white painting on the front and on the rear sights is pretty imprecise and gross, more than on my 84fs, which by the way is much newer (i bought it new 2 years ago). On my 92fs the painting is a bit more bright and, in the fromt soghts dot, there is a sort of little hole, maybe due to a bubble. Is this difference due to different painting procedure by beretta throughout the years or do you think the previous owner painted the sights? plus, both the front sight dot and the rear sight hafmoon are decenteres but this is because the incisions where the paint should go are decentered too. I can't see any sort of old painting under the new one on its sides. I'll post some pics from my gun. Please reply only if you have a direct experience with these pistols.
    Thank you very much in advance

P.S.: i posted a similar thread on another forum, i'm asking here for further investigation since i didn't find anyone with a 1993 92fs/m9 to compare.

i'm having problems posting pics, i'll try to figure out how to do so

Feedback Score
    It's somewhat common to find sights repainted or scraped clean on a whole slew of models from around that time (late 80's). Tritium sights were not yet common and the white dot and post or the white three dot were the most popular options available on the wonder nines of the time.

I'm guessing you are trying to establish its original condition? Search back catalogs of the time frame and you should find examples.

Too answer your question, yes that's an end user DIY fix. Probably applied with a toothpick on the front sight.

Sent from my ASUS_P00J using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by aguila327 View Post
    It's somewhat common to find sights repainted or scraped clean on a whole slew of models from around that time (late 80's). Tritium sights were not yet common and the white dot and post or the white three dot were the most popular options available on the wonder nines of the time.

I'm guessing you are trying to establish its original condition? Search back catalogs of the time frame and you should find examples.

Too answer your question, yes that's an end user DIY fix. Probably applied with a toothpick on the front sight.

thanks for the answer. how do you know it? do you own a beretta from that period and you notice any major difference? thank you, Simone

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Sir, honestly, that is a DIY job. Factory stuff is more evenly filled, has a regular shape (rear sight) and stays within the confine of the depression (front sight).

Take some paint thinner on a q-tip to remove if you like. A small bladed exacto scraper, or single-edged razor blade could be used on the front sight where the paint is outside the dot.
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 03-30-20 at 12:45.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by aguila327 View Post

That's how I touched up my Taurus 99 back in the day. Then later I got real fancy and found a miniatures paint brush.

Feedback Score
    than you guys for the answers. do someone of you owns a beretta m9 or 92 fs from that period? thanks