Thread: Dumb Question RE Steel Shot

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)

Dumb Question RE Steel Shot

One day at the range, a guy stopped to admire my 590 shotgun and I let him shoot a couple rounds of low recoil buckshot out of it. He said he had sold his 12 gauge and handed me a bag with 40-50 Remington 3" steel T shotshells.
    Dumb question is - since I don't hunt waterfowl - what are they good for besides helping me remember why they make low recoil buckshot?

Andy

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Geese.

Or when running out of everything else.
    Never shot much steel, wasn’t a waterfowler. If memory serves, IC is as tight as one was supposed to go re. choke with Steel.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    Yes, this is a great shot size for geese, sandhill cranes, etc.

Feedback Score
    Load 'em up when folks want to try out your shotgun. It's that or hunt geese.
    Go Ukraine! Piss on the Russian dead.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by utahjeepr View Post
    Load 'em up when folks want to try out your shotgun. It's that or hunt geese.
    "Oh, this - it's called a Shockwave. No, it's not a sawed off shotgun, it's perfectly legal. How's it shoot? Well, let me load some shells and you can give it a try. Yep, these are just birdshot, no worries. Yeah, don't hold it in front of your face like that. Oh, you got this? OK. Wow, here let me help you up. Yeah, let's find your teeth..."

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    "Oh, this - it's called a Shockwave. No, it's not a sawed off shotgun, it's perfectly legal. How's it shoot? Well, let me load some shells and you can give it a try. Yep, these are just birdshot, no worries. Yeah, don't hold it in front of your face like that. Oh, you got this? OK. Wow, here let me help you up. Yeah, let's find your teeth..."
    LOL! Yeah, that would be an experience!

Seriously, though, maybe trade them to somebody who hunts geese? You could get something more useful to you and the shells could go to a more proper use than just blasting them into the dirt or screwing with noobs.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    Geese.

Or when running out of everything else.
    Never shot much steel, wasn’t a waterfowler. If memory serves, IC is as tight as one was supposed to go re. choke with Steel.
    It depends on a few things. See the note about no steel shot larger than 4 through Carlson turkey tubes.

https://www.choketube.com/choke-tube...oke-Tubes&mf=9

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kerplode View Post
    LOL! Yeah, that would be an experience!

Seriously, though, maybe trade them to somebody who hunts geese? You could get something more useful to you and the shells could go to a more proper use than just blasting them into the dirt or screwing with noobs.
    I would give them to a waterfowl hunter if I knew any here.

Andy

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    I would give them to a waterfowl hunter if I knew any here.

Andy
    Well, there you go, it's like they say Mars ain't the kind of place to raise your kids, as they ain't no waterfowlers there.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    That's good for hunting water birds.