Thread: Defoor ProFormance Scoped Carbine - Private Course - March 2020

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Defoor ProFormance Scoped Carbine - Private Course - March 2020

DeFoor ProFormance 1 Day Private Course - Scoped Carbine

March 30, 2020 - Private Range

This course came about as a result of the Covid 19 closures and Kyle needing to fill time where his cancelled contracts were. The offer was $300 per day per shooter, topic of shooters choice. A buddy worked out the logistics and off we went. The whole thing took about 36 hours from announcement of availability to booked and paid.

Course started off with a quick assessment of hardware and skill.

Kyle explained his preference for a 100 yard zero on a LPVO carbine, which both of us had already been using so there was a quick zero verification and off to the races.

The facility allowed us to shoot out to 300. We worked on isolating various fundamentals like natural point of aim, sight picture and trigger. We did some positional work as well at varying distances which is always a good refresher. Mechanical off set, target area transitions and cadence drills were hammered home to end the day.

It wasn’t an earth shattering course for me but there were a lot of little nuggets.6

Throughout the evolutions Kyle was giving us some corrective instructions. The 2 to 1 ratio was awesome for that. He also shot most of the drills with us which is neat. It gets you to feel how his cadence runs while you’re shooting.

Round count: 302

What I did learn is that I really want to increase from a 1-4 to a 1-6 LPVO and also away from a BDC style reticle to something with better subtensions for accuracy at distance.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    "What I did learn is that I really want to increase from a 1-4 to a 1-6 LPVO and also away from a BDC style reticle to something with better subtensions for accuracy at distance."

I've never favored the "one size fits all" BDC, because they never did shoot to the subtensions- other than "might hit an IPSC target or 24" X 24" steel somewhere at 300 and out.
    That never instilled confidence.

Please elaborate on your comment above, I'd like to hear your thoughts.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    "What I did learn is that I really want to increase from a 1-4 to a 1-6 LPVO and also away from a BDC style reticle to something with better subtensions for accuracy at distance."

I've never favored the "one size fits all" BDC, because they never did shoot to the subtensions- other than "might hit an IPSC target or 24" X 24" steel somewhere at 300 and out.
    That never instilled confidence.

Please elaborate on your comment above, I'd like to hear your thoughts.
    I think we’re both thinking the same thing. The lack if finer aiming subtensions sucks outside chest plates at distance. Trying to guess where the bullseye is between them is a pain and it inconsistent. I also want more mag to see finer points of aim.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Yep.

I have a Kahles 1-6X on a 14.5" carbine that works pretty well to 400 with m193 (IMI).
    The sub tensions appow fairly precise shot placement, the additional 2X (6X) is helpful (for me) at 300 and out.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.