Thread: Optic for 44 Magnum

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Optic for 44 Magnum

Looking for suggestions on what to top this revolver with for hunting. Not seeing a lot of great options out there at this point, but I might be missing something.

As you can see it has a rail, so mount recommendations are appreciated as well.

Purpose: Deer Hunting
    Budget: Would like to keep it to less than a grand, but open to spending more on good glass

Ideas that I may have missed?

Feedback Score
    I have a Aimpoint T1 on my S&W 44 Magnum 629 7.5” Performance Center.

However, I have several revolvers with a Primary Arms SLX Advanced Rotary Knob Compact Red Dot Sight That has been as good for less money, including on my S&W 500 Magnum 5”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I would consider either a fixed 2x or 4x for your purposes.

For hunting with a revolver, I like a scope over a red dot. Right now I’m using a Leupold M8 IER 2x on my .454. The magnification isn’t much better than a red dot, but I feel that the aiming is more precise. I’ve also used a Bushnell 3200 2-6x and found myself using it mostly in the 3-4x range. Even off of a solid rest, I had a hard time finding a steady sight picture at mad power

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CDR_Glock View Post
    I have a Aimpoint T1 on my S&W 44 Magnum 629 7.5” Performance Center.

However, I have several revolvers with a Primary Arms SLX Advanced Rotary Knob Compact Red Dot Sight That has been as good for less money, including on my S&W 500 Magnum 5”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I just want to note that your pimp hand is strong.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    I have a Burris Fast Fire on a 5" M29 Classic that is used for an all around hunter. It stays zeroed for 240/250 grain loads that I load and is quite easy to shoot well.

Used only for the heaviest/largest of game, I have an SSK ported 7.5" Redhawk that is zeroed with a 300 grain XTP pushed by H110. It is an extremely accurate combo as evidenced by these approximately 110 yard groups. It is topped with a Ultradot Matchdot, which many in the handgun hunting community consider the premier brand.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.